Is a rice cooker zojirushi np-hbc10 safe to use around birds?

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Have question if this rice cooker is safe to use as has nonstick coating but does not state Teflon. Found it at a thrift store and is a pretty high end rice cooker would actually like to put to use. The inside is safe as had to replace the internal rechargeable coin cell battery and is a induction type heater with just a copper winding. So not a problem there. But the pan is what I wondering about? If it is I just throw it on eBay, or give it to someone without birds.

According to Zojirushi: "All Zojirushi rice cookers come with a nonstick coated inner cooking pan. The nonstick coating makes serving and cleaning easy and falls within the safety standard set by the FDA." Their literature states "Platinum infused nonstick coating"?

I do know that there is Teflon Platinum Non-Stick Coating (PFOA Free) that it could be? No data sheet on coating used available, so not sure on this one?

ImNt4ll.jpg

5HUn9s2.jpg

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'd be nervous until I called and spelled out the full chemical names and abbreviations of PTFE, PFOA, PFC etc.

I did investigate an instapot and at the time, it did not contain anything toxic (and could cook rice). I can look up details on the product if you want- they are in my email somewhere.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Me, I would not trust this, I don't care what this company tells you. Non-stick coatings, to me, are all guilty unless proven otherwise! And a lot of companies don't reveal their 'secret proprietary' coating formula except in a general nature.

I love rice, but not more than Salty. It's good old boiling water in a stainless steel pot (and some elbow grease to clean up), but again, thats just me.

OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Me, I would not trust this, I don't care what this company tells you. Non-stick coatings, to me, are all guilty unless proven otherwise! And a lot of companies don't reveal their 'secret proprietary' coating formula except in a general nature.

I love rice, but not more than Salty. It's good old boiling water in a stainless steel pot (and some elbow grease to clean up), but again, thats just me.

I donā€™t trust the coating either, as no data sheet at all anywhere I looked. I stick to the stainless steel pot been using for years.

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Loki - Sun conure; Lucifer, GoffinĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Cockatoo; Tink, Mustached Parakeet; Mr. Grinch, DYH Amazon
[mention]noodles123 [/mention] I have an Instant Pot, and it does pretty well with cooking rice. Better than me when I burn it in the stainless steel pot on the stovetop.

OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
[mention]noodles123 [/mention] I have an Instant Pot, and it does pretty well with cooking rice. Better than me when I burn it in the stainless steel pot on the stovetop.

Same reason why I wanted to use one as usually burn the bottom of the rice and love rice. Shame it likely has Teflon as one of the best rice cookers and it is pressurized, which means has a quick setting to cook rice in 30 minutes.

Last edited:

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Loki - Sun conure; Lucifer, GoffinĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Cockatoo; Tink, Mustached Parakeet; Mr. Grinch, DYH Amazon
[mention]ParrotGenie [/mention] the Instant Pot does not contain PTFE or PFOA. Here is the body of a letter from the company:

ā€œInstant Potā€™s number one focus is consumer safety, and we aspire to inspire the highest level of consumer confidence with the Instant Pot product line. We respect parrot safety, too!

The inner pot and inside portion of the lid is comprised of 18/8, food grade 304 stainless steel, compliant to FDA standards. There is a washable, non-toxic wax-compound polish on the inner pot, for sparkle. The material of the base of the inner pot has 3 layers: 304 stainless steel, aluminum, 304 stainless steel. The inner pot is made of whatā€™s called ā€œausteniticā€ steel, which is not magnetic, as opposed to magnetic stainless steel which is called ā€œferriticā€. This is fairly typical in stainless steel kitchen appliances.

The float valve and the exhaust valve are made from aluminum. These parts have passed FDA food standard tests, and do not come into contact with food.

The inner side of the cooker base is made from a type 201 stainless steel. This metal is highly rust resistant, though not rust-proof.

The heat resistant paint on the cooker base is made of epoxy resin, and alkyd resin/polyester resin. This paint is resistant to heat, but not general wear and tear.

The heating element is also coated with a chemical compound that has been tested for high heat processes. The coating is 2011/65/EU compliant.

It contains 415 mg/kg of lead which is below the max 1000 mg/kg specified in 2011/65/EU.
It contains 3 mg/kg of cadmium which is below max 100 mg/kg specified in 2011/65/EU.
Mercury is not found in the material.
It does not contain Cr(VI)
There is no Teflon used in the making of the Instant Pot.

The plastics are all BPA-free.ā€

The Instant Pot is one of the only kitchen devices I actually feel comfortable using in our home because the company is pretty transparent and their customer service agents seem to actually have the information requested. Iā€™ve contacted other companies about products before and always get the ā€œoh, our items are safe. No, I donā€™t think it has any of whatever-you-just-called-it in it.ā€ answers. I donā€™t use my IP every day, or even every week, but it is really useful!

And if memory serves, rice only takes about 18 minutes or so (if you donā€™t count preheating and de-pressurizing).

OP
ParrotGenie

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
[mention]ParrotGenie [/mention] the Instant Pot does not contain PTFE or PFOA. Here is the body of a letter from the company:

ā€œInstant Potā€™s number one focus is consumer safety, and we aspire to inspire the highest level of consumer confidence with the Instant Pot product line. We respect parrot safety, too!

The inner pot and inside portion of the lid is comprised of 18/8, food grade 304 stainless steel, compliant to FDA standards. There is a washable, non-toxic wax-compound polish on the inner pot, for sparkle. The material of the base of the inner pot has 3 layers: 304 stainless steel, aluminum, 304 stainless steel. The inner pot is made of whatā€™s called ā€œausteniticā€ steel, which is not magnetic, as opposed to magnetic stainless steel which is called ā€œferriticā€. This is fairly typical in stainless steel kitchen appliances.

The float valve and the exhaust valve are made from aluminum. These parts have passed FDA food standard tests, and do not come into contact with food.

The inner side of the cooker base is made from a type 201 stainless steel. This metal is highly rust resistant, though not rust-proof.

The heat resistant paint on the cooker base is made of epoxy resin, and alkyd resin/polyester resin. This paint is resistant to heat, but not general wear and tear.

The heating element is also coated with a chemical compound that has been tested for high heat processes. The coating is 2011/65/EU compliant.

It contains 415 mg/kg of lead which is below the max 1000 mg/kg specified in 2011/65/EU.
It contains 3 mg/kg of cadmium which is below max 100 mg/kg specified in 2011/65/EU.
Mercury is not found in the material.
It does not contain Cr(VI)
There is no Teflon used in the making of the Instant Pot.

The plastics are all BPA-free.ā€

The Instant Pot is one of the only kitchen devices I actually feel comfortable using in our home because the company is pretty transparent and their customer service agents seem to actually have the information requested. Iā€™ve contacted other companies about products before and always get the ā€œoh, our items are safe. No, I donā€™t think it has any of whatever-you-just-called-it in it.ā€ answers. I donā€™t use my IP every day, or even every week, but it is really useful!

And if memory serves, rice only takes about 18 minutes or so (if you donā€™t count preheating and de-pressurizing).
I going to look into getting one of those instead. Thanks

Last edited:

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
[mention]ParrotGenie [/mention] I will say that I usually search online for other usersā€™ recipes rather than using the preprogrammed features, especially for rice. I found a blog post someone did about all sorts of different rices, how much water, and how much time to use in the IP and it has served me well. Just something to keep in mind if you get one!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Kudos for erring on the side of safety! Is a grand compromise simply using whatever item you desire outside? If you have an outdoor electrical outlet in safe and secluded area, cook to completion, transfer the rice to safe bowl and bring inside. Allow the cooker to completely cool and fumes to dissipate before returning to your home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts