Is copper as a bottom in cookware safe?

Calamity

Jan 2, 2020
Hello all
I was recently gifted a stainless steel cookware set, however the thick base is made of 5 layers, one of which is about 1/4" layer of copper.
This is the set
https://www.paderno.com/products/12-piece-stainless-steel-cookset
The copper is obviously on the bottom and would not come into contact with food.
Now the question.
Are these pans safe for a house with birds?
I cant seem to find info online about copper in cookware being safe or unsafe.
I know ingesting copper is toxic but does heated up copper give off anything bad for my birds?
I know people used to use pure copper pots/pans all the time but dont anymore but i still cant find information on dangers of them.
Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• 20200102_114927.jpg
    20200102_114927.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 71-johzQB+L._AC_SX522_.jpg
    71-johzQB+L._AC_SX522_.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 108

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
As long as there is nothing weird in between, the heating of copper itself is fine. I use vintage Revere-ware and it all has copper on the bottom...I have used it for years and so have my parents. A bird ingesting copper=bad, but cooking with pure copper (as long as it doesn't contact the food) should not harm the air or the contents of the pan, as long as it is true copper.

Heating oil or butter in any sort of pan to the point of browning can harm birds though, so just keep that in mind.

Here are some examples of mine: https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Revere-Stainless-Copper-Bottom/dp/B007DM252Y

SOOOOO OVERPRICED ON AMAZON...OMG

Last edited:
OP
C

Calamity

Jan 2, 2020
I mean the only info I can go off of is what I can find on their website and the outside of the box.
Stainless steel
Heat conducting aluminum.
Copper
Magnetized stainless steel.
"Features a copper bonded 5-ply base with two layers of stainless steel, two layers of aluminum and a copper core"
So I assume they dont use adhesive to stick the layers together :20: so hopefully pure/true metals....
I had been trying to find anything about people using older copper pots like that or the ones they use for candy making and there just isnt bird info for them out there.

I feel like its easier to just not cook 😂 im sure the birds would approve of pizza every night.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I mean the only info I can go off of is what I can find on their website and the outside of the box.
Stainless steel
Heat conducting aluminum.
Copper
Magnetized stainless steel.
"Features a copper bonded 5-ply base with two layers of stainless steel, two layers of aluminum and a copper core"
So I assume they dont use adhesive to stick the layers together :20: so hopefully pure/true metals....
I had been trying to find anything about people using older copper pots like that or the ones they use for candy making and there just isnt bird info for them out there.

I feel like its easier to just not cook �� im sure the birds would approve of pizza every night.

Well, the ones I use are safe and on pot/pan threads before, I have mentioned copper as being safe as long as the food doesn't touch it and no one has ever corrected me lol.
I would use them---
here is also a site saying that it is safe when combined with stainless etc( as yours is). Again-- used them for AGES every single day for all of my cooking (revere-ware that is) and never had a problem.

https://www.herebird.com/bird-safe-cookware/ <- the only reason it says "maybe" is because it wouldn't be safe to cook for a bird in a copper lined interior or solid copper pot.
and
https://petcentral.chewy.com/bird-safe-cookware-is-there-a-killer-in-your-kitchen/

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Nice set of cookware! Is it French made? Sorry to lazy to look it up! :D

The cooking zone is 100% stainless steel.
Everything below the stainless 'pot' is designed to move heat evenly across the bottom, which is a combination of Aluminum and Copper. And just to ensure that there is no migration during cleaning, the bottom is stainless steel.

FYI: Both Aluminum and Copper are highly heat conductive in nature.

The only item that I'm a bit confused by is the magnetism of the bottom. By nature, stainless steel is difficult to develop and maintain a magnetic status. If old memory holds, I believe that one has to use high-voltage 'induction' to set it in place. Likely, a side benefit of using high-voltage 'induction' to set the bottom materials in place.

Proper care, this set of cookware will last you a lifetime+.

Best cooking for flavor is to use a burner the same size as the pan or smaller (never larger), medium to low heat and turn-off the burner prior to completing cooking as this type of pot /pan will maintain heat longer. This will limit burning and work to improve flavor. This will add maybe a minute to your cook time, but will greatly enhance the meal.

Great advise above regarding over-heating oil or butter. In addition to being harmful to your Parrot(s) is will also leave burn marks on the bot /pan. With butter, thin slice and as the slice is about to disappear add your items to be cooked. This will allow the flavor into the cooked items!

Okay, I grew-up in a home in which my poor mother had all boys (3) and her mother was a great cook that had no time to teach her daughters. So, in fear that her sons may marry someone that didn't know how to cook, we had to learn.

FYI: Never place a well-cured cast-iron pan in a dishwasher! I learned that lessen the hard way with my dear grandmothers! Never made the mistake twice!!!

Enjoy your cookware!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Nice set of cookware! Is it French made? Sorry to lazy to look it up! :D

The cooking zone is 100% stainless steel.
Everything below the stainless 'pot' is designed to move heat evenly across the bottom, which is a combination of Aluminum and Copper. And just to ensure that there is no migration during cleaning, the bottom is stainless steel.

FYI: Both Aluminum and Copper are highly heat conductive in nature.

The only item that I'm a bit confused by is the magnetism of the bottom. By nature, stainless steel is difficult to develop and maintain a magnetic status. If old memory holds, I believe that one has to use high-voltage 'induction' to set it in place. Likely, a side benefit of using high-voltage 'induction' to set the bottom materials in place.

Proper care, this set of cookware will last you a lifetime+.

Best cooking for flavor is to use a burner the same size as the pan or smaller (never larger), medium to low heat and turn-off the burner prior to completing cooking as this type of pot /pan will maintain heat longer. This will limit burning and work to improve flavor. This will add maybe a minute to your cook time, but will greatly enhance the meal.

Great advise above regarding over-heating oil or butter. In addition to being harmful to your Parrot(s) is will also leave burn marks on the bot /pan. With butter, thin slice and as the slice is about to disappear add your items to be cooked. This will allow the flavor into the cooked items!

Okay, I grew-up in a home in which my poor mother had all boys (3) and her mother was a great cook that had no time to teach her daughters. So, in fear that her sons may marry someone that didn't know how to cook, we had to learn.

FYI: Never place a well-cured cast-iron pan in a dishwasher! I learned that lessen the hard way with my dear grandmothers! Never made the mistake twice!!!

Enjoy your cookware!

OH DANG SAILBOAT...I almost got decapitated when my dad found out I used some Dawn to clean out my grandma's cast-iron pan in high school...DISHWASHER?!?! Lucky you survived that infraction hahah!

Most Reactions

Latest posts