May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So I really want a fourth bird, and I really want it to be a longer lived species, because the lifespan of a budgie is heartbreakingly short. Now, as for the actual reasons I want a fourth bird:

1. More experience. Since I want to be an avian vet, getting experience with more than budgies is very important. Sure, you can learn on the job, but I think having the opportunity to work with some of the species you'll be treating is truly an advantage. I am also planning on getting a Harris Hawk in a couple years to practice falconry with, so I have experience with birds of prey too.

2. Companionship. I love my budgies. Really, I do, they are the lights of my life, and I wouldn't give them up if you gave me a million dollars. The issue is, they only live around 8-10 years (the healthy ones), and many don't make it to that. I want to have a companion that will live longer, because gaining an amazing bond with a little fluffernutter then losing the fluffernutter is absolutely horrible.

Now, collage. I have been thinking about this, and I want to do my pre-bird-friendly-housing years of collage (at least 1) virtually or semi-virtually. I don't want to live in a dorm because a) no birds, and b) other people. I'll probably go to in-person collage once I can get a house or bird-friendly apartment, but I'll do virtual until then. I'll also take a gap year (this is almost certain) to get enough money for a bird-friendly apartment, and to finish up my falconry training. Or, I could go to a super close collage (we have a really good one within an hour's drive that I have been seriously considering), and visit my birds... although I kind of hate that option because then they wouldn't get enough time with me.

I like conures, however, territory may be an issue. Maybe a linnie, I love that they have a smaller beak, like budgies (I'm not scared of bites, I'm scared of injuries to the budgies), but their average lifespan is only 10 years, and they're hard to find. And the last consideration would be a cockatiel. This is actually the most compatible one with my current lifestyle and future plans. Plus, many tiels are very good with budgies, especially in a large space like my room, and they live fairly long, but not too long.

What are everyone's opinions on this?

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I'd personally look around and see who sparks your interest and vice versa. Most of my birds I came across by chance in one way or another(one on this forum!) The one exception is Luvie and Pearl my two Love birds. I called so many places looking for a lovebird before I came across Luvie <3 wish I went to see him sooner.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I'd personally look around and see who sparks your interest and vice versa. Most of my birds I came across by chance in one way or another(one on this forum!) The one exception is Luvie and Pearl my two Love birds. I called so many places looking for a lovebird before I came across Luvie <3 wish I went to see him sooner.
Aww! The only problem is, the bird has to be compatible with budgies, since I only have one free-roam room, and don't like caging healthy birds. Thanks for the advice!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I think you wouldn't regret a cockatiel, mine get along fine with the budgies, if anything, the budgies bully the cockatiels.
I've never had any of my 3 cockatiels bite or hurt the budgies and all of them come from very different backgrounds.

Most Reactions