is it a BFA or OWA?? please help

manny32

Sep 22, 2010
hello all,

its been 2 weeks now that i have purchased my 2 year old amazon parrot from a pet shop. after reading some info on the web i have come across some information about the bird that i have purchased. firstly it doesn have a closed rind so i dont have official documents on the bird. i have been reading that blue fronted amazons are often mistaken for orange winged amazons since their crown has the same blue color. how can i tell the difference and know if i bought a blue fronted or an orange winged amazon.

thanx

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Blue fronts tend to be a little bigger then orange wings. They have a brighter blue coloring on the face and more red on the wings. It would help if you could post a pic.

OP
manny32

manny32

Sep 22, 2010
thanx greycloud, will be posting a pic of my fid soon, this may possibly be easier for people to help out.

OP
manny32

manny32

Sep 22, 2010
this is my amazon, now maybe someone can give me some info on if its a blue fronted or and orange winged. thanx for the instructions on how to post a pic.
manny32-albums-my-fid-picture948-koko.jpg

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
Your bird is definitely an OWA (the orange in the second pic is the clincher).

I was at a bird expo a couple weeks back and had the same question. There were two birds that looked like BFAs but labelled OWAs. I learned that they do look similar, but the OWA has orange on its wings (not being sarcastic), whearea the BFA has red and yellow coloring on the wings.

Last edited:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Yup, you have a very pretty OWA! Congrats! Can't wait to hear stories about him.

OP
manny32

manny32

Sep 22, 2010
thanx a lot guys for your confirmation on my new member of the family. i guess i was a bit upset at first finding out that it wasnt what i thought it was, but in the end its all good, even though she(i think) may never be a great talker like her cousins, just the thought of saving her from her previous environment and giving her a good home is the most important part of it all. i will keep you posted on kokos progress living with my g/f(wife to be), dog and 3 cats(who are totally in love with her(koko the OWA)

bavy

Sep 28, 2010
PORTSMOUTH UK
Parrots
ORANGE WING AMAZON
hi you got a orange wing amazon there.....blue fronts got a black beak while the orange wing got a horn colour and the blue fronts got red in their wings not orange like the orange wing

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
I think that OWAs can be decent talkers. I think all Amazons have pretty good ability here (at least compared to cockatoos and macaws). Is this not true?

Also, were you told that Koko was a BFA? I couln't tell from your original post.

OP
manny32

manny32

Sep 22, 2010
yes andrew, i was told the she was a BFA, even though i had done a lot of reaserch on practically all types of amazons, i never really gave attention to this species due to the name. but either way, she is pretty good, shes 2 yrs old and is very vocal, especially when i put her videos from you tube of other amazons. so i have faith that she will turn out to be a great bird.

OP
manny32

manny32

Sep 22, 2010
bavy how long have you had your OWA? what are your experiences with this species of amazon?

Most Reactions