Is it normal to want to eat your bird’s food?

Is it normal to want to eat parrot food/treats?

• Total voters

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Every. Single. TIME I look at pellets/treats/seeds/whatever bird food related, I want to eat it. Have you seen that zupreem pure fun for African Greys? Does that not look absolutely delicious? How about pretty bird pellets? Those look yummy too! Zupreem, Harrison’s, Higgins, etc all look really good and I just want to eat them all. Does this happen to anyone else?

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I feel like these are two different questions.
1. Is it normal to eat your birds food?
2. Do you want to eat your birds food?

No. it's not normal. Yes. I want to.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Sometimes I have a peanut of a sunflower seed. But I prefer them better salted. More often than not they prefer my food and steal bacon or whatnot.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I can honestly say that I've never had the slightest desire to eat parrot pellets. The seed mix he gets for a treat doesn't appeal to me a whole lot either. For the things that would be considered "people food," I already eat most of the same things Ralph eats. :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I taste my birds' food because I don't want my birds to have to eat anything that tastes bad, but I have no desire to "eat" their food. I don't have cats or dogs because I'm allergic to them but even if I did, I don't think I would taste cat or dog food. It just sounds too gross.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I feel like these are two different questions.
1. Is it normal to eat your birds food?
2. Do you want to eat your birds food?

No. it's not normal. Yes. I want to.
There is nothing stopping me from eating birt food aside from my conscience saying “this ain’t a good idea.”

Also, it isn’t normal? I thought it was normal to want to eat borb food.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Sometimes I have a peanut of a sunflower seed. But I prefer them better salted. More often than not they prefer my food and steal bacon or whatnot.
Obviously human food is yummier than birt food. That’s why they want it!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I can honestly say that I've never had the slightest desire to eat parrot pellets. The seed mix he gets for a treat doesn't appeal to me a whole lot either. For the things that would be considered "people food," I already eat most of the same things Ralph eats. :)
Does Ralph like vegetal?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I taste my birds' food because I don't want my birds to have to eat anything that tastes bad, but I have no desire to "eat" their food. I don't have cats or dogs because I'm allergic to them but even if I did, I don't think I would taste cat or dog food. It just sounds too gross.
My thoughts always win and I end up trying one. No clue how Rico liked the fruit blend pellets since they taste like dry and odd.

Trust me, DO NOT eat cat or dog food, both taste abhorrent.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Not bird food, but decades ago when I was a wrangler at a dude ranch, every morning the horses would get half a bucket of feed mix. Oats, some kinda pellet and other stuff, all mixed with molasses. The smell was so very good that one morning I couldn't resist it and grabbed a big handful and tried to eat it. One mouthful was enough to know that 'Dis ain't for people' and I spit it all out.

Funny how some dishes in restaurants are like that!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
You tasted cat or dog food? What kind?
Purina cat food. It was a dare. I was 8, thought it tasted good…until the after taste kicked in. It tastes like burned steak and funky feet. 0/10 would never eat again.

When I was 10, I thought the dog food smelled really good. My thoughts won and I ate one. I ended up puking. It tasted like what I’d imagine a zombie to smell like. It was absolutely abhorrent. Don’t remember the brand though. Not good though. -5/10 would NEVER put that crap close to my mouth.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Not bird food, but decades ago when I was a wrangler at a dude ranch, every morning the horses would get half a bucket of feed mix. Oats, some kinda pellet and other stuff, all mixed with molasses. The smell was so very good that one morning I couldn't resist it and grabbed a big handful and tried to eat it. One mouthful was enough to know that 'Dis ain't for people' and I spit it all out.

Funny how some dishes in restaurants are like that!
This made me cackle! I dunno how horses could eat that stuff! Or any animal for that matter… what was it like? If you can remember ofc

Yuck, 100%. I remember eating some sort of steak at a restaurant recently and good god was it awful. No idea how people deemed it as even edible! We did get a refund but my stomach wasn’t right for the rest of the night.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph has a varied diet. Lots of vegetables, cooked pasta, quinoa, occasionally some turkey or chicken or scrambled egg. Usually if I'm eating something that would be suitable for a parrot to eat, I'll share some with Ralph. There are naturally some things I eat that aren't appropriate for a parrot and others that I like that Ralph doesn't.

For the record, I have tasted the pellets but they're not something I particularly need or want to eat again.

While I've never eaten cat food or dog food, when I was very young I was curious about what dog biscuits tasted like, so I tried one. Actually, it wasn't bad, and eating it didn't cause me to chase cars or bark at strangers. :D

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Ralph has a varied diet. Lots of vegetables, cooked pasta, quinoa, occasionally some turkey or chicken or scrambled egg. Usually if I'm eating something that would be suitable for a parrot to eat, I'll share some with Ralph. There are naturally some things I eat that aren't appropriate for a parrot and others that I like that Ralph doesn't.

For the record, I have tasted the pellets but they're not something I particularly need or want to eat again.

While I've never eaten cat food or dog food, when I was very young I was curious about what dog biscuits tasted like, so I tried one. Actually, it wasn't bad, and eating it didn't cause me to chase cars or bark at strangers. :D
If I had a dog I would not feed it commercially available dog food. I can't imagine being a dog and having to eat the same food every day. I would get dog healthy recipes approved by a vet and cook its food and freeze portions. I don't know about cats. They seem harder to feed than dogs. Most dogs will eat just about anything edible, or so I'm told.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
If I had a dog I would not feed it commercially available dog food. I can't imagine being a dog and having to eat the same food every day. I would get dog healthy recipes approved by a vet and cook its food and freeze portions. I don't know about cats. They seem harder to feed than dogs. Most dogs will eat just about anything edible, or so I'm told.
Yeah, raw diets are best for carnivores. We can’t exactly afford a raw diet, our dogs eat an expensive brand of kibble that seems pretty good. And since my family eats a LOT of meat (I don’t eat much of it but I do some days), they get meat most days. Mainly beef and chicken.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie

Sounds like Ralph has a good hooman! What is Ralph’s favorite food?

What brand was it? What’s it taste like?

As someone who is constantly wondering what dog biscuits taste like, what did the treat taste like? Are you suuuure it didn’t cause you to chase cars or bark at strangers? Perhaps you bit some people?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Every. Single. TIME I look at pellets/treats/seeds/whatever bird food related, I want to eat it. Have you seen that zupreem pure fun for African Greys? Does that not look absolutely delicious? How about pretty bird pellets? Those look yummy too! Zupreem, Harrison’s, Higgins, etc all look really good and I just want to eat them all. Does this happen to anyone else?
The most interesting question is "What is Normal"? And who wants to be normal, anyway?

Most Reactions

Latest posts