Is it okay to let Kyo out in our studio?

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
We own a 50 by 50 studio, huge open space with lights and props, as well as a sky light that is 20 feet high. I would love to bring Kyo to the studio to let her out and fly, but what kind of training should I do with her to prepare?

Thanks everyone in advance. I've never done this before :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
First thing is to ensure that all of the lights and props are relatively birdsafe. I say relatively because, given enough time, a bird will find a way to render almost anything unsafe. Haha! But this is especially important since the ceilings are so high. In a pinch, it might take you a minute or three to get to her... and a lot can happen in that time.

All that said, you also want to work on her recall training. And, just as important, her ability to fly from a higher level to a lower one. Flying upward is more of an instinctive skill, whereas flying downward is more of a learned skill. (Which is why so many bonded birds who get out and fly up into a tree don't fly back down to their parront. In a lot of cases... they simply can't.)

Once you have all that worked out, I'd walk her around the entire space a few times and then let her do her thing.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
First thing is to ensure that all of the lights and props are relatively birdsafe. I say relatively because, given enough time, a bird will find a way to render almost anything unsafe. Haha! But this is especially important since the ceilings are so high. In a pinch, it might take you a minute or three to get to her... and a lot can happen in that time.

All that said, you also want to work on her recall training. And, just as important, her ability to fly from a higher level to a lower one. Flying upward is more of an instinctive skill, whereas flying downward is more of a learned skill. (Which is why so many bonded birds who get out and fly up into a tree don't fly back down to their parront. In a lot of cases... they simply can't.)

Once you have all that worked out, I'd walk her around the entire space a few times and then let her do her thing.

Learn something new every day :D

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
I'd make sure you have kyo recall trained or have him started with such a high ceiling. It'll make things easier as a whole but if he decides he wants to hang up higher you'll appreciate it.

starrynightxxi

Mar 26, 2013
Philadelphia
Parrots
Leonard - White-Wing Parakeet
flying downward is more of a learned skill. (Which is why so many bonded birds who get out and fly up into a tree don't fly back down to their parront. In a lot of cases... they simply can't.)

Learn something new every day :D

My heart was in my throat the first time Leonard flew down the stairs. During his normal back and forth flight path down through the hallway one day he flew full speed at the wall, then just STOPPED flying and dropped like a rock for a few feet before putting up his wings again and landing easily on the back of the couch. To this day I really don't know if that first time was on purpose or just a mistake, but now he can navigate our staircase no problem lol

We did this by pure accident, so I'm not sure what the best way to train a bird to fly down would be. Is it better to start with low and short distances to get the bird used to stretching/climbing down, then jumping/fluttering, etc.? Or longer distances to encourage coasting?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
As Stephen knows Jolly is an accomplished flier. :D
I would call him to me straight on, from different angles and would even sit on the floor so that he would fly down to me. Recall training should be done in as many different situations and height levels as you can before giving him that kind of freedom in the studio but once he comes to you reliably I think it would be great!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
My heart was in my throat the first time Leonard flew down the stairs. During his normal back and forth flight path down through the hallway one day he flew full speed at the wall, then just STOPPED flying and dropped like a rock for a few feet before putting up his wings again and landing easily on the back of the couch. To this day I really don't know if that first time was on purpose or just a mistake, but now he can navigate our staircase no problem lol

We did this by pure accident, so I'm not sure what the best way to train a bird to fly down would be. Is it better to start with low and short distances to get the bird used to stretching/climbing down, then jumping/fluttering, etc.? Or longer distances to encourage coasting?

When I was working with Bixby, I did all of his flight training in a bedroom with two adjustable height training perches. The steeper the angle, the more difficult the skill set necessary. (For downward flight. For upward flight, the steeper angles become more about wing and pectoral strength.) Once his recall was at 100%, and he was able to fly confidently from one perch to another no matter the height differential, angle, or distance from one another, he was ready for the cathedral ceiling heights out in the rest of my house.

So, for me, a small and controlled environment was crucial for the early training. Once the basics were down, he graduated to the bigger spaces.

OP
Kyoto

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
So much great advice! Thanks so much.