Is it possible to be allergic to one parrot (sun conure)and not other parrot species?

Rouya

Feb 24, 2021
The Gulf
I have had handled green cheek conures and caiques. I've recently introduced a sun conure and every time I deal with him my eyes begin to irritate. Also, when I smell him it's as if he smells dusty. Is that dander? I didn't realize sun conures had it....could more frequent bathing help?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Kind of possible as it depends on what the specific allergy is that the individual is reacting toward. 'And' what pre-causes one is taking.

A large percentage of Parrots use 'skin /feather' flakes (dust) to allow the movement of feathers over each other that easies flight. Since each species has differing levels of 'dust' it is very possible to be 'less' effect by one species than another.

I would recommend that one consults with their Medical Professional and be tested for, which allergy(s) they are effected by. FYI: Strongly recommend that that individual not identify that they believe it caused by a Parrot. Make the Doctor do their job as it is highly likely that there are severe causes.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You never know.
But allergies to birds are usually all burds, or to the cockatoo, African grey, dusty type partots.

Could he have a toy or something different in his cage?

Or are you allergic to the screeching? ( teasing, I hope)

You will have to let us know

OP
R

Rouya

Feb 24, 2021
The Gulf
You never know.
But allergies to birds are usually all burds, or to the cockatoo, African grey, dusty type partots.

Could he have a toy or something different in his cage?

Or are you allergic to the screeching? ( teasing, I hope)

You will have to let us know

It's the toys i had for Stitch :(

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Do you suffer from other allergies in general or is this the first you are having?

I am a highly-allergic person myself.

From my own experience I have come to the conclusion that every person has an "allergy threshhold," above which they experience allergy symptons and below which they do not.

What I mean by this -- there are things I am always allergic to. But my allergic response is Much Worse and quicker, when the general allergy-load is high. And at that point, I can also have allergy symptoms from things that at Other Times might Not cause a problem.

So for me -- high pollen makes me more sensitive. At low-pollen times I can browse the floral department, or walk thru the cleaning-supplies aisles, at grocery store no problem. High Pollen? Eyes watering, starting to wheeze, etc. Similarly, if I have not been around any other allergies (ie fragrances, pollens, dust, etc.), then I can spend a fair amount of time in a friend's house with a dog, (or a short time with a cat), and even pet the dog, with no problem. But if I'm been around lots of allergens, my nose tells me a dog was near before I even see it, and a hug from someone else who petted a dog has caused me asthma.

Along with all this, AFTER such an expose, I can have allergic reactions to things that Normally I am not allergic to at all.

I try to be very careful not to inhale from Sunny's feathers. (Sometimes harder than others!) I don't want to Become allergic. This is why I ruled out getting a cockatiel before I ever looked at any bird.

(When I first got the budgies, after a few days I thought I was allergic and might need to return them. Because, nothing about birds, I had asked, "What's that stuff in the bottom of the store cage?" and was told, Timothy Grass, so I purchased it for that purpose. Thankfully, I quickly realized this Timothy hay was the problem!, NOT the birds, and disposed of it.)

Anyway all this rambling-on to say, it's Possible, you Might have a mild allergy that Might crop-up and go away easily. I'm Only wondering this where you had other type conure without problem. Also not knowing what severity you're experiencing now.

It is spring and very high pollen right now here in New England. Working in a large call center, over the past years there would always in spring and fall be folks who would start having allergies For the First Time. IF IF your pollen is high you could be having pollen-allergy of which you're not aware until a final irritant of birdi-ness pushes you above your personal allergy-threshold.

IF this is the case -- and of course I am only theorizing of course! -- you might want to try a simple OTC antihistamine & see if it helps. IF this is what is happening, you might be able to interrupt a "sensitivity" before it becomes an actual allergy. (Myself I like Allegra / fexofenadine, as being effective-enough and also Not a knockout-drug.)

Now -- this is all based on my own experience. And what I've seen in a few other folks. I have Never heard any Doctor nor Medical Professional talk about an "Allergy-Threshold, NOR have I read it in any books. I believe it to be true, based solely on my Own experience, and offer it to you only for helpfulness-If-It-Helps!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
yes , it is possible, as even non-powder down birds (which are definitely still the worst in terms of allergies) carry their own dander.

So, worst birds for allergies- grays, tiels, toos (powder down birds are super dusty and the dusty sticks to everything and gets all over)
best=eclectus parrots maybe (they are more hypoallergenic)?
but many people are even allergic to budgies..they still all have dander

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts