Is it safe to buy macaw eggs online??

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Even poultry eggs are hard to ship and tend to have a very low (50%) hatch rate due to various factors — speaking from experience hatching heirloom/rare breed duck & bantam chicken eggs ordered online. Parrot eggs tend to be even more fragile and when you could just allow the parent birds to incubate and hatch it really makes no sense to sell online. It is always a scam - because even if it is a real macaw egg your chance of receiving it intact and successfully hatching it are practically zero.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Big no-no. 100% a scam. Even ethical breeders rarely give eggs to each other.

Eggs are very hard to hatch, and raising the chicks is hard and risky as well. If you want a baby bird, it's best to get one that has been weaned(usually for large parrots they're weaned at no shorter than a year).

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
What about birds for sale online?? Are they scam too?
It depends. This site has good advice on spotting scams:

OP
E

Eagle123

Apr 8, 2022
You can always adopt, rescue, or visit your local shelter or bird shops!
I'm sure they will give great advice where advice is needed and you can give a bird a great life!
Stick around, this forum will help a lot.
I dont think they have any shelters where i live.......

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You need to be VERY careful about buying birds online, unless you can guarantee that they come from an ethical and reputable source, preferably within your own country. They are often shipped in from places like Cameroon and Nigeria, where they are bred under the most appalling, miserable and cruel conditions. We have had members join here who have bought birds online, imported from African nations, and they have been sick on arrival and died under the most heartbreaking circumstances. IF you can find one that you are able to verify is based in your own country, that might be ok. But otherwise you are far better to work at finding someone closer to you to buy from, for you sake, but mostly for that of the bird.

OP
E

Eagle123

Apr 8, 2022
Problem is i live in small country with nearly No one who sells parrot......

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Problem is i live in small country with nearly No one who sells parrot......
You can try contacting avian vet clinics in your country, they often have connections with local parrot clubs, rescue organisations and breeders. The following link should give you contact information for avian vets near you :)

Kriss

Oct 7, 2022
Los Angeles
Parrots
Lorie
No don't buy it online . Asked for their location and if you really need them . I will be good for you to go and pick it up

Most Reactions

Latest posts