globalist1337

Feb 18, 2021
Western NY
Parrots
2 Canary Winged BeeBees
Pablo and Petey
Both born late 2019
Hello all,

I've had my two beebees for about 6 months now.. It's been a journey. They still don't let me handle them, however they are in much better moods now. They sing, they play, they explore. My one bee bee Pablo is.. kind of an ahole to everyone. He bosses around my other beebee che, who is a little sweetheart. He eats first, he is always the loudest, just overall kind of an ahole but I love him, and I love that they have very different unique personalities.

Here is a video of Pablo yelling, he does this pretty often, especially when he wants something (I dunno what he would want, they are spoiled birds) I feed them multiple times a day, clean their cage at least once a day etc.

Here is the video

https://streamable.com/wgc4xw

And sorry to digress, but my second beebee has a weird pattern / shade to him. Here's a photo with a filter that overly exaggerates it so you can see what I am talking about. During the day in the light it's not as pronounced, but it's always there.

IMG-6372-Original.jpg

Thank you!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi And welcome. How odd, BeeBee parrots are known for seeking out human companionship in the wild, yours being anti-social to you is an unknown to me. I had a BeeBee a while ago, he was the typical BeeBee, loved everyone, fearless, intensely curious, and a clown. We were all very sad when he passed suddenly, with no warning, after 6 years.

The feathers are good indicators of health, so I would have Che, or both , given a really thorough check up by a Certified Avian Vet (CAV). Not a dog and cat vet, but a real avian one. What is their diet like? Does Pablo prevent Che from eating at all?

On the video, that is their native call. These parrots are called Brotogeris Chiriri, the Chiriri is due to that distinctive call, it kind of sounds like that. My Max would do that for various reasons; bored, hungry, wants attention, warning, or just because they like to make some noise.

OP
globalist1337

globalist1337

Feb 18, 2021
Western NY
Parrots
2 Canary Winged BeeBees
Pablo and Petey
Both born late 2019
Yeah especially Pablo, he calls a lot, they both sing and make lovely noises usually but sometimes that howl just concerns me, thank you for the advice Wrench.

I feed them berries, seeds, (natural pellets are probably their main food) broccoli, strawberries, carrots, dried fruits, a whole variety of stuff. They are very well fed and I only give them purified water

I will call an avian vet in my area to get them checked out, I just don't want to stress them out by taking them there, I do have a smaller cage I can put them in, glad I didn't return it.

Thank you!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Welcome! Our BeeBee was a GREAT parrot, I bawled so much when he passed. Max literally loved every one, would accept scratches from any one. He used to eat dinner with us ( not share food of course), a real member of the family. Our Salty - can;t do that, he runs over and steals food from our plates. Enjoy your BeeBee's ! More stories and photos!

OP
globalist1337

globalist1337

Feb 18, 2021
Western NY
Parrots
2 Canary Winged BeeBees
Pablo and Petey
Both born late 2019
Max sounds like a cute bird, thanks for all of the time and info Wrench.
Booking an avian vet is a lot harder than I thought, 2 weeks out!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Beebee's can learn to whistle quite well, you know. Better than they can talk. Max knew theStarwars theme, Beethovens 5th smyphony beginning, Bridge over River Kwai and others.

OP
globalist1337

globalist1337

Feb 18, 2021
Western NY
Parrots
2 Canary Winged BeeBees
Pablo and Petey
Both born late 2019
Beebee's can learn to whistle quite well, you know. Better than they can talk. Max knew theStarwars theme, Beethovens 5th smyphony beginning, Bridge over River Kwai and others.

Oh wow, I didn't know they could do that.

So far when I hear them whistle, I whistle back a different pattern, they love it. I can't wait until they learn some more whistles, I'll know then that they kinda trust me.

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
Hello and welcome! I don?t make it on here much lately (crazy family things going on) but I just had say Hi and you have absolutely come to the right place with any and all questions. I have a brotogeris species as well. His (or her) name is Kiwi. Kiwi is such a silly little love. I?m surprised yours aren?t ?tame? yet, these little birds really are fearless and way to curious for their own good. And Kiwi is also very stubborn. I have had Kiwi since the end of August and he very quickly warmed up to us. He was not hand raised, and was absolutely petrified of people when I was surprised with him as a gift.

In the video you posted that?s a very normal call that they make. I hear that exact call daily. It could be for anything. Attention, food, or just because ?hey this toy is awesome, let me scream my excitement?.

The feathers on Che are a bit concerning. It means there was some type of stress while they were coming in, or it could be bronzing. Either way, I?d get both of them to the vet as soon as you can. I don?t think it?s an emergency type thing, but feather condition is something an avian vet will look at and monitor from visit to visit. It?s also good to get a baseline and a bit of bloodwork off you can.

If you haven?t already I would read up on clicker training and target training. These two methods, when combined, are like magic once the animal understands the target is where you want them to go and the click means they will get a yummy treat. The clicker provides the reinforcement of good behavior (with a food treat following immediately), and the target provides the ?ask? in most scenarios. It can be tricky to get the hang of, but with a bit of work on your end it will quickly become an invaluable tool. Eventually the food treat can be lessened to every other ask, then one in three always in the same training session. Training should be short and sweet, ALWAYS end on a high note. It?s always better to close the session before losing attention, than to force the last ?trick?.

Another tip, ALWAYS be the bearer of good things. You want to build trust. And thinking of it like a bank account might help. Things like a trip to the vet are stressful, and should be considered debits. BUT getting into the travel cage, going for a ride in the car, these should be incorporated into normal life. Things like treats (for reasons or for no reason) should be considered deposits. If you take the bird to the vet one out of every 10 times in the travel cage they are less likely to associate that cage with what is sometimes a stressful experience. If that?s 1 in 100 times it?s even less stressful for them to be in that travel cage. The same can be said for nail trims.

That?s all I have time for, but I?d love to hear about your journey with your two birds. These little guys are making a ?comeback? and for good reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
My male bee bee, Milford,
vocalizes like that, too. That’s why we’ve nicknamed him machine gun Millie. It’s quite piercing, but completely normal. He does it when he’s by a window and can see or hear other birds, also when he’s afraid or bored (like a warning). Overall, my Bee bee is very sweet. It took three months to let him scratch his head and neck, but steps up just fine and has never bit me. He sleeps 12-13 hours and preens himself for another two hours before he’ll get up for breakfast. He’s most active after breakfast (10 AM) until about 2:00 and then wants to chill until bedtime. I would try whistling and talking to him when he’s doing that to see his response to you, incase he’s just looking for attention. My Milford loves car rides, walks and hanging in the sunroom on his huge stand I made. Getting him out of the house has been essential to keeping him quieter. Music helps too! Try a piano/river stream mix on YouTube. It calms him
Down a lot! Loud music gets him amped up and he makes that call so I can’t tell if he loves or hates it (mostly oldies). Keep me posted!

Most Reactions

Latest posts