Is my bird overweight?

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
I have an almost 8 month old, cobalt blue, male parrotlet. I weighed him last week and he was 30 grams. He gets 1 Tbsp of mash (grains, beans, and veggies), 1 tsp seed, some dried veggies, and 1 tsp Tops pellets. He gets fresh greens at night and a bit of fruit twice a week in the am. And a bit of boiled or scrambled egg once a week. He gets lots of exercise. Is 30 grams too heavy? Here he is. He looks wide because of the way he is standing.

Thank you in advance for your help. 20221020_145744.jpg

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Bird cleavage is when there is a visible indent going down the breast. This is because when birds are typically overweight the flesh on either side of their keel bone bulges out causing "cleavage"

Best way to tell if your bird is overweight is to feel their keel bone, heres a little graphic:
unknown.png

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
any time you look up what the average weight of a given species is you must keep in mind there are outliers in both directions. some individuals are heavier or lighter then the average. Keep track of your parrots weight by using a inexpensive kitchen scale what weigh in grams, and check it a few times a week. One of the surest methods of getting a early warning if your parrot is ill is his weight. Weight loss cant be hidden, while symptoms can be hidden. His weight should be stable +/- 3% for a parrotlet, they are so tiny.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think the best way to tell is by feeling along the breastbone. If it’s super-sharp, your bird is probably too thin. If it’s hard to find of if your bird actually has cleavage, your bird is probably too heavy.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Bird cleavage is when there is a visible indent going down the breast. This is because when birds are typically overweight the flesh on either side of their keel bone bulges out causing "cleavage"

Best way to tell if your bird is overweight is to feel their keel bone, heres a little graphic:
unknown.png
That bottom graphic (bird cleavage) should be labeled “overweight”. Not meaning to be picky but trying to avoid confusion.

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021

unknown.png
Thank you very much! This helps a lot!

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
any time you look up what the average weight of a given species is you must keep in mind there are outliers in both directions. some individuals are heavier or lighter then the average. Keep track of your parrots weight by using a inexpensive kitchen scale what weigh in grams, and check it a few times a week. One of the surest methods of getting a early warning if your parrot is ill is his weight. Weight loss cant be hidden, while symptoms can be hidden. His weight should be stable +/- 3% for a parrotlet, they are so tiny.
Excellent idea! Thank you so much.

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
I think the best way to tell is by feeling along the breastbone. If it’s super-sharp, your bird is probably too thin. If it’s hard to find of if your bird actually has cleavage, your bird is probably too heavy.
Thank you! I'll definitely check his breastbone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts