Is my cage big enough to fit a GCC?

rrossignol

Oct 30, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm new here and looking for some insight from conure owners. I'm planning on adding a Green-cheek conure to my small flock, but I'm a little concerned about the cage I intend to put it in.

The measurements of the cage I intend to put it in are approximately 24 L, 13 W and 32 H. It looks pretty roomy from afar, but I don't think it's the ideal size for a GCC (It would probably be better if it was a little wider). However, I can't afford another cage right now so it's my only option. I'll be giving my little one as much out of cage time as possible and lots of toys so hopefully it won't be too big of a deal, but I'm still skeptical. Is it livable or should I wait and invest in a new cage before bringing the new bird home?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hello everyone, I'm new here and looking for some insight from conure owners. I'm planning on adding a Green-cheek conure to my small flock, but I'm a little concerned about the cage I intend to put it in.

The measurements of the cage I intend to put it in are approximately 24 L, 13 W and 32 H. It looks pretty roomy from afar, but I don't think it's the ideal size for a GCC (It would probably be better if it was a little wider). However, I can't afford another cage right now so it's my only option. I'll be giving my little one as much out of cage time as possible and lots of toys so hopefully it won't be too big of a deal, but I'm still skeptical. Is it livable or should I wait and invest in a new cage before bringing the new bird home?

The reality is: Unless you can afford to have and provide what your Parrot needs (which includes a CAV visit within days of arrival) you should not bring another Parrot into your home.

At the very least, for the first 30 days you need to keep the new arrival separated from the other Birds for bio-security reasons. Do you have the room for that too occur.

I believe you have answered you own question.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
sailboats in giving that good ol' advice

also do you have time for another bird alongside your others to which a GCC is a vampire for attention, they demand as much attention as a macaw. Or do you plan on them all being friends? If so that's a set-up for failure

wait until you got some more cash flowing around and more time to spend with them. A single GCC can eat up all of your spare time easily

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Good advice already given. You can find cheap cages online (ie:craigslist if you're from the US). Nothing wrong with saving money.
BUT if you can't afford regular checkups with an avian vet, as well as having money for potential vet emergencies, you need to wait.

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet."

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I had to hold my hands out to picture the dimensions, yeah, it's too small, and Narrow. I mean 13 inches wide, he wouldn'd be able to turn around without his tail feathers rubbing on bars somewhere. Half my birds length is his tail more or less, but from beak to tail he's at least a foot long, maybe more.

OP
R

rrossignol

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you all so much for the advice! I’ll save up some money and wait a little while then, I wouldn’t want to bring a bird home without the right accommodations.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
NO!.... thank you for being mindful of what our dinosaurs need! We're here to help! Looking for the right answers and right advice first is being the mature one!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yes, we're very appreciative of people who ask questions first! Ultimately it's the fids we have to think of. I know I've asked many questions which may seem like the most basic but if we doubt then we need to ask, always good to get an outsider's opinion. And hey as I'm sure you know, a year or 2 isn't long and will let you either move on from the idea or cement it into your head :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts