Is okay put budgie at living room?

TreatOrDie

Mar 2, 2020
Hello this is my first time in here and i just registered in this site.

Here my story, i found a male budgie bird at my workplace, lost and exhausted. I keep him as my first bird pet! This is 4 day i keep him in the cage. I have zero experience about bird,and I'm still learning about bird..

And the question, is that okay put my budgie in living room? My house kinda small, and tv playing and family go inside out. I always cover the cage a dark light cloth at 8pm and wake up at 7.30/8 am. Im afraid he not enough sleep. Today at night, he kinda active like pull the cloth inside the cage, climbing and jumping around the cage. He never chriping inside the house or make a loud noise. It's different when i hang the cage outside the house.

If i put outside the house im really afraid of rain, dog barking, cars and bike and especially cats!
If the situation it's not suitable for the bird, i think im gonna let go the bird.

Also if i buy a female budgie, should i put her in same cage or separate them first? Should i buy a bigger cage horizontal or vertical? Lastly, how often you have to spray/bath them?

I wish i can upload pictures and im using a phone. Sorry for broken English.

Greeting from Malaysia

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
They can be in living room. It is better to first separate them. I didn't do it with my budgies (first was male next female) and they didn't fight but I knew my małe character - he seemed to be too sociable to fight. The Cage always is better horrizontal (sorry I'm also on mobile and can't remember the correct English name)

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forum and thank you for rescuing this little one! The great outdoors is really no place for a single budgie, as you rightly point out he may run into trouble with a cat or indeed a predatory bird!

Your new budgie should be fine in your living room. Do you live alone or with family? You really don’t need to buy him a friend if there’s someone home during the day, budgies are pretty adaptable and are happy to join in with the human flock. You may need to check what type of cookware your family uses however, because the fumes given off by Teflon coated non-stick pans are quite lethal to birds.

You’ll find plenty of information about all the do’s and don’ts of bird ownership here. It’s great to have a new member from beautiful Malaysia on board!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Keep them separate.

Also, as he is your first bird, make sure you are not using any teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs in your home or kitchen. Anything that heats or is intended to be heated can contain it (pots, pans, poppers, skillets, fryers, drip trays, curling irons, space heaters etc etc). Teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs can kill on separate floors/through shut doors and there are documented deaths within academic settings of deaths at far lower temps than those cited by DuPont.

Also, no candles or scented products (sprays, aerosols, polishes, glues, air fresheners, scented oils etc etc). Make sure you are not using unsafe cleaners (most standard cleaners are not safe for their lungs).

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
You have only had him about 4 days? It can take 2 weeks or so, sometimes, for budgies to adjust to something new. Sounds like you are giving him what he needs (ie time to sleep), don't worry if he takes a while to adjust at first.

Please Do continue to keep him inside. The living room, where things are happening, is good. If possible, try to adjust the curtain so he can't pull it in. It's good if you can give him a few small, safe toys. My own budgies like to chew on lettuce and broccoli. With all birds, the bigger the cage you can give him, the better.

IF you get another bird for him, they might become best friends with each other. IF you hope to tame him, be prepared it may take a while, but if you get a second budgie it Might take even longer or not at all.

Please keep him inside and keep him safe. I hope for all the best for you and him!
:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts