Is Syd sick?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd went to bed last night at 7.30pm and I got him up this morning as usual at 7.30. It is now not quite 9am and he is fast asleep on his top perch. This is really unusual.
I feel a little apprehensive as if I should be looking for problems. His poop looks fine he has eaten this morning and I think he generally looks in good condition. I don't think I have ever seen him so asleep, he is a bit bent over with eyes firmly shut.

He has just opened his eyes and is looking at me but is still in this bent over position. Help?

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
I opened his cage and he stepped up straight away and is playing but not with his usual energy. The only things I have noticed so far is a couple of feathers on one wing which are black. Not stripes just completely black they are usually bright green/turquoise and I am not sure he looks as shiny as usual.
I don't know if he realises that I'm worried but he keeps stopping and giving me penetrating looks - he just doesn't seem quite right.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I opened his cage and he stepped up straight away and is playing but not with his usual energy. The only things I have noticed so far is a couple of feathers on one wing which are black. Not stripes just completely black they are usually bright green/turquoise and I am not sure he looks as shiny as usual.
I don't know if he realises that I'm worried but he keeps stopping and giving me penetrating looks - he just doesn't seem quite right.

Could it be that he is going to molt soon? How's the weather where you live?

I see a lot by my budgie her mood swings, she is having currently such an awful molt and looks really under the weather. She is very angry on everything and doesn't let Pascal (my Emma's conure) near her. Also even when she is not molting, on cloudy or rainy days she is usually very calm and not playful. As soon there's sun, she is super playful and lively.

Pascal is going to be 1 year old in a few weeks so he is super energetic as ever, but according to some people, their energy does tend to drop once they become adults. He just started his molt and doesn't seem nearly as harsh as Csilli's (budgie) so he's the same old stinker.

The blacking of the feathers can be because they're old feathers or you might've handled Syd a lot - the feathers tend to bronze due to our oils from the hands. But far as I see on my Pascal who is not being handled - simple time and tatter can trigger the bronzing. Pascal sure has some bronzing at his feathers, but that could;ve been from the wrong diet too before I've gotten him.

Just keep an eye on Syd, maybe he just couldn't sleep well last night, keep an eye if he eats and how much, if he keeps sleeping excessively during day then you could go ask for help from the vet. Hope Syd is just having one of those lazy days!

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
He has been moulting for weeks quite heavily and has a load of pin feathers. Perhaps that is affecting him today. He has brightened up a bit since earlier but is quite cuddly and closes his eyes as he snuggles. He seems more fluffed up than usual. His weight is normal.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Remember, in your intense observations, you are sending a tremendous amount of body language! And you are saying, something is wrong! Your little one is also trying to figure out what’s up with you!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Could be early signs of a problem, best to keep track in a journal and continue weighing. Hopefully nothing more than by-product of heavy molt. In any case, kudos for being alert! As David mentioned, Syd is also evaluating you!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, clearly something to watch and molt demands a ton of energy. But a sleepless night (for whatever reason,) can turn into a sleeping day.

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
He perked up by the end of the day yesterday so I think he was fine after all. Today he is absolutely full of it! Demanding, nippy, noisy and truly obnoxious currently sitting on my shoulder as if he is an angel after a morning where he has demanded that I be at his beck and call and showing off if I haven't obliged.

Now he has the cheek to fall asleep! His regular after lunch nap. No doubt today's round two will follow. I shall be relieved to see bedtime for him.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
the very best thing is to weigh and track weight. When my flock was very sick they all bounced around on different days, and some lost so much weight like close to 20% without symptoms at all. Weigh every day when anything seems weird, and once a week is best practice when well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts