Is tea Tree Oil Shampoo safe for birds?

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
We recently just bought some tea tree oil shampoo and I know Tea Tree oil is bad for birds but I did not think about it until we got home. We don't have a bird at the moment so it is fine for right now but my question is will tea tree oil shampoo cause issues for birds like normal tea tree oil?. I don't know how concentrated it is in the shampoo but I just want to make sure it's safe

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi. Do you want to use it on birds? if so, I wouldn't recommend it. It most likely contains chemicals that are harmful plus it has tea tree oil which like you said it bad for them. Plain water works just fine for birds.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As stated so very well above, it would be a rare case that one would use any soap type product on a Parrot. As stated, Fresh water is all that is needed. Misting from above allow the mist to fall from above by misting up into the air above your Parrot.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
As said, never ever on the bird!
If itā€™s a shampoo for you I would avoid having him in the bathroom! That steam could be quite harmful!

OP
ZoeyBear

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
Hi. Do you want to use it on birds? if so, I wouldn't recommend it. It most likely contains chemicals that are harmful plus it has tea tree oil which like you said it bad for them. Plain water works just fine for birds.
I would never use it on the bird I just want to know if it's safe to have in a house with a parrot. I do love to shower with my parrots though would that cause an issue if my bird is in the bathroom

OP
ZoeyBear

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
As stated so very well above, it would be a rare case that one would use any soap type product on a Parrot. As stated, Fresh water is all that is needed. Misting from above allow the mist to fall from above by misting up into the air above your Parrot.
yes, I would NEVER!!! use it on a parrot or any other soap for that matter I would only use it for me and I am wondering if the fumes of having it in my hair would be bad for the bird as well as the steam from the shower also

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Youā€™re perfectly fine. Itā€™s no more ā€œharmfulā€ than any other fragrant shampoo.

No need to worry about itā˜ŗļø

OP
ZoeyBear

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
Youā€™re perfectly fine. Itā€™s no more ā€œharmfulā€ than any other fragrant shampoo.

No need to worry about itā˜ŗļø
I was just worried because I have read that tea tree oil is bad for birds

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Pure essential oil, sure, if you burn nough of it! Any essential oil you plan to burn straight. Itā€™s that volatilization thatā€™s the biggest issue. Not the only issue, but the biggest.

A bit of non-burned essential oil diluted in a shampoo that will take you 2+ months to get through? Not worth your concern.

OP
ZoeyBear

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
Pure essential oil, sure, if you burn nough of it! Any essential oil you plan to burn straight. Itā€™s that volatilization thatā€™s the biggest issue. Not the only issue, but the biggest.

A bit of non-burned essential oil diluted in a shampoo that will take you 2+ months to get through? Not worth your concern.
Ok, thanks, that makes me feel better

Most Reactions

Latest posts