Is their and birds that would be okay if I go to school?

Dallas

Jul 17, 2022
Iā€™m currently in school. Iā€™ve wanted a bird since I was 10 but wanted to wait. I go to school Monday-Friday 8-3. I really want a conure but do you guys recommend any birds that would be okay with that schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With the vast number of life changes ahead of you, consider a dog or cat as Parrots require one-on-one time that your schedule really does not allow much of. Remember that you have homework, social activities, etc...

OP
D

Dallas

Jul 17, 2022
With the vast number of life changes ahead of you, consider a dog or cat as Parrots require one-on-one time that your schedule really does not allow much of. Remember that you have homework, social activities, etc...
thatā€™s very true. For homework I finish 90% of it at school. I play baseball only in the summers and I only play about 12 with is once a week and start at 7pm. I have practice once also which start 6pm. I have a lot of free time after school and Iā€™m often bored.
Iā€™m also prepared to make sacrifices such as waking up early to have more time to spend with them

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That was this last year. Things will be changing this next year and you will want to be Acing your Courses and wanting AP Classes as Advance Education in the Hard Sciences, Engineering and Medical will be ever more demanding. Your generation will be faced with very little playtime in this rapidly changing World that you will be living in. Life and the World has changed, just moving along with the crowd is not going to get it.

Minor_Arcana

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2018
Media
Iowa
Parrots
Lexa - 4 year old ā€˜tiel
Zephyr - 2 year old quaker
Not particularly. As someone who is currently working full time from 8-6, I depend on my family to give one-on-one attention to my birds while Iā€™m gone. This schedule works for me, but it doesnā€™t work for everybody.

If your house is regularly empty for long periods of time during the day, I would not recommend getting birds. Especially for someone who is still in school and is going to have a change in living situations soon (i.e. moving out once you graduate). Instead, have you considered other types of animals? Dogs, cats, maybe even a hamster or other small animal?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Agree with the others. It's best to wait a few years when you're out of school for a more certain future.

I as a minor worry if I'll be able to care for my birds in the future.

My best reccomendation is to do research now before you get your bird. Wishing you the best of luck!

Squiggles:D

Jul 18, 2022
Parrots
Squiggles (about half a year old)
Black capped conure
It would be best to wait until you have a steady income, and reliable schedule. I am currently in school and juggling extracurriculars, school in general and the bird can be quite tricky. I too rely a lot on my dad and the native birds outside (his cage goes outside while im out )

Most Reactions

Latest posts