Is there a SAFE lamp oil to use around African Greys?

Nick12022

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
African grey
I am wondering if there is a safe BIRD safe lamp oil out there I can buy? My power keeps going on and off. I bought bird safe candles but was hoping to be able to use my lamps too.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First there are not safe flames!! And the gas that is natural created is deadly! Long story very short: There is not such candle nor is any of the lamp-oils safe. NOTE: The reason they used birds in mines was to warn Humans!!

If you rent, consider moving to a section of your town /city that has fewer power-outages. If you own your home, consider having supplemental electrical power added. New systems can be totally self-activating, i.e. they turn-on when your electrical power fails and turn-off, when it returns. NOTE: Electrical Power Outages will only become more common in the future!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
First there are not safe flames!! And the gas that is natural created is deadly! Long story very short: There is not such candle nor is any of the lamp-oils safe. NOTE: The reason they used birds in mines was to warn Humans!!

If you rent, consider moving to a section of your town /city that has fewer power-outages. If you own your home, consider having supplemental electrical power added. New systems can be totally self-activating, i.e. they turn-on when your electrical power fails and turn-off, when it returns. NOTE: Electrical Power Outages will only become more common in the future!
I'm pretty sure some candles are parrot safe, such as soy candles, here is a link to 100% soy candles.
As far as I know, most candles aren't safe because they have paraffin and phthalates, along with artificial smells that can harm the parrot's respiratory systems. Phthalates are chemicals that help throw a candle's scent further.

As for your question, OP, I'm almost certian there is no parrot-safe lamp oil.

Edit: After some further research and other member's opinions, I have concluded they are not safe.

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
The soy candles are a marketing lie. They are better than other candles but they are still not safe for birds. Any flame is going to produce smoke and fumes that will harm the bird. Not to mention the scents used in the candle itself are harmful. its rarely the wax itself that is harmful. All these candles do are replace the wax.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The soy candles are a marketing lie. They are better than other candles but they are still not safe for birds. Any flame is going to produce smoke and fumes that will harm the bird. Not to mention the scents used in the candle itself are harmful. its rarely the wax itself that is harmful. All these candles do are replace the wax.
1000% correct!!!
Hey, if you do not believe us! STOP, by your local Fire Department and ask them. They will also tell you that those wonderful candles are the source of a vast number of home fires!!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Alrighty, cool. I wasn't really sure if they were actually safe, I've heard people say yes and no.
So yeah, OP, might wanna get rid of those candles. Use electric lanterns instead or get a small generator.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Sorry, But NO!!
other than an electric lantern, Flames are dangerous. Please confirm at your Local Fire Department!!
Sorry, sorry, I meant electric lanterns, such as this:
ec9c8205-31c1-4754-960f-8d3248666c04.ec49b5f87cdd6d8fccad58a866c47cdb.jpeg

I sometimes forget fire lanterns exist, I have only ever had electric.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Yes, forget the candles and lamps altogether. Get some inexpensive LED camping style lanterns. I have several of those, plus I have LED headlamps, I have flash lights that fit into sockets plugged into outlets that come on automatically when the power goes out and can be used as flashlights or table lights. And I have big strings of LED lights that I connect to larger batteries using alligator clips - those I string up over a doorway or along a wall for decent light. All of these work for hours, and I try to be vigilant about keeping the batteries charges, because our power goes out a lot.

OP
N

Nick12022

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
African grey

Thank you for explaining to me. I am a NEW bird owner. I have only been a Grey owner for less than a week. I hav removed all toxic plants from my home, candles etc. and have been reading up on what also maybe toxic to Greys. I am a home owner. We do have an outside who house generator in case of long outages. I have many flashlight and some are very big. I will rely on those.

Thank you for explaining about the mines.

I want my Grey to be safe as possible. If there are any other important warnings or a link you would like to share I would be happy to have it.

Thanks again!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thank you for explaining to me. I am a NEW bird owner. I have only been a Grey owner for less than a week. I hav removed all toxic plants from my home, candles etc. and have been reading up on what also maybe toxic to Greys. I am a home owner. We do have an outside who house generator in case of long outages. I have many flashlight and some are very big. I will rely on those.

Thank you for explaining about the mines.

I want my Grey to be safe as possible. If there are any other important warnings or a link you would like to share I would be happy to have it.

Thanks again!
Glad everything is working out! Here is a link to the most lethal household dangers for parrots:

OP
N

Nick12022

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
African grey
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thank you VERY MUCH! I will take all the help I can get to make sure my new baby (8months old) is safe!!!! Have a nice day!
Thank you! We would love if you posted pics of your baby in the medium-large bird photo thread!

OP
N

Nick12022

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
African grey
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I will definitely do that if I can figure out where it is at. I just joined this group 2 days ago. Again thanks for ALL your help! I read the link you sent. Some of it I had already read about but some of it I had not found the information on. I appreciate you!

Here ya go!

OP
N

Nick12022

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
African grey
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thank you. I posted some photos. Not quite sure how to post so I replied to someone else’s thread. Hopefully that was okay 🦜✌🏼
Yeah, that's ok! That's exactly how to post!

Most Reactions

Latest posts