Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
So I have a YSGCC Maddox who is 99% percent of the time a good bird. He steps up well and is very affectionate, however, he has a nipping habit that is stupid annoying. He only nips when he is outside his cage and with me on the couch, usually, when I am trying to get him to step up again so I can put him back in his cage. I'm starting to think that he knows he is going back into his cage when I ask him to step up so I have been putting him on top of his cage so he can go back in when he is ready and on his own terms. He still nips though. Is this just something he does that I can't do anything about, or is there a method I could use to curb this behavior?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Maddox sounds like he is doing his best to train you :)

I think most parrots don't want to back to a " cage"

To get mine sweet about going back, we did lots of random brief trips to cage . Treat at cage step in and back out for treat. Then when it's really time to put them up I always use the same phrase " time to go back " and at first I have something extra special waiting fir them in the cage. A slice of apple, a cut piece of millet, some popcorn, a cheerio. And I really praised them a lot if good birdie.

Now a days I just say time to go back and start walking towards the cages and they all fly and scramble to get in their cages . I still brag and make over them, but only randomly give tge special cage treats.

So I think plenty of time out of cage. Reconditioned to think every trip to cage is positive and doesn't always mean they are locked up. A ritual, praise and treats. And things would be much better for you as well.

Behaviorist always remind us to reward good Behavior

How about a sweet Maddox pic:?

OP
maddox

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Parrots
Maddox sounds like he is doing his best to train you :)

I think most parrots don't want to back to a " cage"

To get mine sweet about going back, we did lots of random brief trips to cage . Treat at cage step in and back out for treat. Then when it's really time to put them up I always use the same phrase " time to go back " and at first I have something extra special waiting fir them in the cage. A slice of apple, a cut piece of millet, some popcorn, a cheerio. And I really praised them a lot if good birdie.

Now a days I just say time to go back and start walking towards the cages and they all fly and scramble to get in their cages . I still brag and make over them, but only randomly give tge special cage treats.

So I think plenty of time out of cage. Reconditioned to think every trip to cage is positive and doesn't always mean they are locked up. A ritual, praise and treats. And things would be much better for you as well.

Behaviorist always remind us to reward good Behavior

How about a sweet Maddox pic:?
Thanks so much for the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 70

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
wow! Stick that in the photo of the month contest!

What a stunner@ 😍 id probably let that sweet face bite me! Lol

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That’s a great photo!

Both my birds will pinch me if I want them to go back in their cage and they’re not ready. Or they will refuse to step up, or run away.

Instead of chasing them, I put a treat in their food dish inside the cage. They go in to get it and I shut the door. I’m happy because they’re back in their house and they’re happy because they have a treat.

A parrot needs a reward for going back in his cage if he’s not tired. He won’t listen just because he’s supposed to. He will just bite or run away.

Get a jar of treats handy so you can give Maddox a little treat when he does what you want. And tell him what a good smart bird he is when he listens, when he steps up, whatever. Maddox loves you and your praise is important to him. As are treats.

He’s very cute!

OP
maddox

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Parrots
That’s a great photo!

Both my birds will pinch me if I want them to go back in their cage and they’re not ready. Or they will refuse to step up, or run away.

Instead of chasing them, I put a treat in their food dish inside the cage. They go in to get it and I shut the door. I’m happy because they’re back in their house and they’re happy because they have a treat.

A parrot needs a reward for going back in his cage if he’s not tired. He won’t listen just because he’s supposed to. He will just bite or run away.

Get a jar of treats handy so you can give Maddox a little treat when he does what you want. And tell him what a good smart bird he is when he listens, when he steps up, whatever. Maddox loves you and your praise is important to him. As are treats.

He’s very cute!
I really appreciate the advice! it actually worked! Every time he steps up without biting I give him a treat, and when he does bite, I pull my hand away. He loves these pretzel things that I put in his cage which he goes right in after. It has only been a day but I am seeing great improvement!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
just out of curiosity, how does one enter the photo of the month contest?
Laura pretty much nailed it! @maddox, all you need to do is go to this thread and post a reply as per usual along with your pic - I look forward to seeing your entry!

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
Laura pretty much nailed it! @maddox, all you need to do is go to this thread and post a reply as per usual along with your pic - I look forward to seeing your entry!

Handsome bird isnt he?

Most Reactions

Latest posts