Is this a bad idea or is it reasonable? (cutting down doses on meds)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I've been forced to go on a 1.5-day vacation with my family. I do say forced, because I think it's a horrible idea to leave 5 medicated animals at home alone for most of the day, and cut down their doses without vet approval. My dad will be home, but he'll also be working for about 12hrs each day. Which is fine for the bird's meds (if he remembers), but our cat needs her medication twice a day nd he always forgets to give it to her (so the rest of us do, but we'll be gone). AND my sister's guinea pig has a corneal infection and needs eye drops 3x a day. He'll only be able to do it 2x a day (and only if he remembers). He does not have vet approval for this, and I think it's a bad idea.

Also my mom is complaining (in a very guilt-trip-y way, almost like she wants me to stay home) that she needs to drive me home in a day and a half so I can go on a class trip. But she also says I need to go on this short vacation? And I'm nervous a bird will die. My dad can be kind of careless sometimes, and when Pepper died, I was vacationing to this EXACT spot, and he was under my dad's care. Not saying he's a bad person, but I doubt he'll remember to give all the animals their meds.

Anyhow, my question for the parrot community is, is it unreasonable for me to want to stay home, or is it reasonable? I've discussed this with my mom so much, her only somewhat-valid argument so far has been "you'll have fun"... Not if I'm worried my birds or my sister's pig or the old cheese is going to die. If I have a feeling something is going to die, it does. So what if I have a feeling while I'm on vacation? I'd be unable to rescue them from a sticky situation or call the vet for an emergency appt. or at least make them feel safe and comfortable in their last moments.

This has become somewhat of a rant, but I'd love opinions. Not like this is going to change anything, but it will settle the conflict in my mind. Thanks!

-Ollie

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would be so stressed about my animals that I doubt I would have much fun. Then again, to some extent you must comply with what your mom wants.

It seems like this is a bad time for a trip with three types of animals sick.

Can you compromise and say you will go later in the year? There’s not much point in a trip if you’ll just be worried the whole time. I might enjoy having the house alone with my pets.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I would be so stressed about my animals that I doubt I would have much fun. Then again, to some extent you must comply with what your mom wants.

It seems like this is a bad time for a trip with three types of animals sick.

Can you compromise and say you will go later in the year? There’s not much point in a trip if you’ll just be worried the whole time. I might enjoy having the house alone with my pets.
I’m currently on vacation, but going home tomorrow afternoon thankfully. I’m worried about the birds, but I haven’t had a β€œfeeling” about them, so hopefully they’re fine. I wish I had been able to stay home, I honestly see no point in this vacation since I’m not staying long enough to do anything I can’t do at home, besides swimming.

Most Reactions