Is this a good sized cage for a green cheek?

VulpeaNeagra

Nov 30, 2009
Kansas
Parrots
Nugget- Parrotlet, Littlefoot- Lutino Indian Ringneck, Lucy- Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
Avian Adventures Chiquita Dometop Bird Cages at PETCO

am wondering if the above cage would be big enough for a green cheek? am search for the best sized cage possible for Kermit(my GCC) and am wondering if the above cage would be big enough.

been looking at cages for a bit and this one is a few inches shorter in height and length but wider in depth than another cage i really like and am wondering if this cage will work.

thanks in advance

parrotparent

Nov 30, 2009
Parrots
1 - GCC
1 - Cockatiel
1 - B&G Macaw
If he spends time out of the cage everyday I think it would be okay, but if he is in the cage the majority of the time I think one a little taller would be better. They are such acrobats and are so active that you really want as big of a cage as you can afford so you can put lots of toys in and they can keep themselves busy.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
As parrotparent mentioned it rather depends on how much he'll be in/out of the cage, but in general that looks like a great cage for a GCC (and a surprisingly reasonable price for one of the 'bigbox' stores).

Certainly if a bird is going to be in their cage a lot they need more room for more toys and space to be active, however we'd all hope they'd get plenty of out of cage time anyhow.

I tend to go for wider/deeper than taller; their birds not helicopters :eek:)
But more importantly if the cage is taller that just means that all the toys and perches collect all the droppings they drop from perching up top. You'd think a smart bird would go to the bottom of their cage to do their business, but it's fairly consistent that they climb up pretty high before going.

OP
VulpeaNeagra

VulpeaNeagra

Nov 30, 2009
Kansas
Parrots
Nugget- Parrotlet, Littlefoot- Lutino Indian Ringneck, Lucy- Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
once he is used to me and is okay with coming out i do plan on having him out of his cage alot.

been looking for a cage that will be a good size for him and isn't super expensive. I have looked at alot of other cages that are bigger but would cost more than i could afford without some help from my parents and thats not going to happen as they are paying for Kermit so i have to pay for the cage.

is the above cage really no good for a green cheek? i know it'd be alot bigger then what the lady i'm getting him from has him in and he'd actually have toys to play with.

justwingingit

Nov 28, 2009
Media
New Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Macaws: Hyacinth, B&G's, Greenwings, Scarlets, Blue Throated. Afr Grey, Cuban Amazon, Caiques, et al
Hi, that is a nice sized cage for your GCC. The most important thing to remember is that with the toys and their tent (I assume your GCC has one), they have plenty of room to move around without banging up their feathers.:blue:

Emiiu

Dec 23, 2009
Canada
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, *Saving for my first African Grey!
Hey!
I have a green cheek conure too, and her cage is about that size aswell. I'm sure it'll be fine if you don't overflow it with toys so he has some room to spread his wings. Also, you should have him out of his cage a few times everday because conures are so social and love attention. But, if you follow those things I'm sure it would be perfect! I love the stand too! Maybe I'll consider buying it aswell! ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts