is this a tad unusual would you say?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I have been building a new table top play stand for Kiwi using PVC connectors and natural wood dowels (3/4" diameter, I believe) instead of PVC pipe for aesthetic reasons. As Kiwi cannot fly, I figured being an untextured small diameter dowel, there was NO WAY he'd be able to climb around on the outer frame. And for a while, he didn't which made me assume he couldn't. HA! He can climb on it no problem.

It just seems like so many people put that vet wrap on everything just so their birds won't fall off a regular horizontal branches. Is it somewhat abnormal for a bird to climb such vertical/smooth surfaces so easily?

Here you can see the dowel I'm talking about in the background, perfectly straight up and down with no grips and a smooth surface and he can climb from the bottom to the top of the structure on that (24" up):

20266d1521321128-mr-ruffles-ruffles4.jpg

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
WlSRQxi.jpg

Amazons....:28:

It was supposed to be one he couldn’t get off of so he couldn’t go try to eat people but yeah....

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As we all know, challenge an Amazon and they will provide a quick lesson in Amazon Will Power. Nothing like coming home to a disassembled cage that was assembled using bolts and nylock nuts.

Sadly, not surprised! Amazon vs near anything and that Amazon will either overcomes or seriously damages it! :D

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I don't find it unusual in the least. Between the room where our birds are and the rest of the house, we have a walk through baby gate. The idea originally was that it would keep the birds in their room if they decided to wander on the floor and our nephew out of their room since it is comprised of all slick vertical bars. Well, it keeps our nephew out...

Most Reactions

Latest posts