Is this an ok price?

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
A bird rescue in town has a 22 yr old African grey that my fiancé and I love. they are asking 1700 for her as a discount because we volunteer there. does that seem like a reasonable adoption price? just seems kind of high to me with her being a little older and not coming with any of her supplies. But my fiancé and I aren't great at pricing so I figured we would ask lol

OP
IcyWinteRose

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
WHAT-
WAY TO HIGH
if she was younger maybe I would have been ok with it. but at half her life span or so depending on her health and how she is cared for, seems a bit much just struggling to find anything local

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
if she was younger maybe I would have been ok with it. but at half her life span or so depending on her health and how she is cared for, seems a bit much just struggling to find anything local
Interesting read..
Apparently the usual is 1,500$-
It still seems high ive seen alot for 750-900$

OP
IcyWinteRose

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Interesting read..
Apparently the usual is 1,500$-
It still seems high ive seen alot for 750-900$
Now just to find them local to Tucson AZ for less

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Fair. Parrot prices have really jumped.
For a parrot that likes you and thst you like well worth it

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I agree, a baby grey can be up to $5000. $1700 is a reasonable price considering.
As Laura notes prices have jumped. When I got Parker 7 years ago, Ekkie chicks were maybe $1500-2000. Nowadays you see frequently $3000.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My pet store us now selling quakers of color other than green for 2000!!!!!! Green cheeks for 900!!! Holy cow
Tho a search of Florida rescues has greys under 1000, but that could be because Florida has lots and lots of parrots

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
My pet store us now selling quakers of color other than green for 2000!!!!!! Green cheeks for 900!!! Holy cow
Tho a search of Florida rescues has greys under 1000, but that could be because Florida has lots and lots of parrots
Could just be rescues policy. Can’t make the parrots TOO accessible. High prices can deter the wrong kind of buyer, flipper and otherwise.

D

Deleted member 42416

Not complaining, but I am curious as to why there has been such a price jump (which does exceed normal inflation). Less demand? Fewer breeders? If that is the case, I wonder about genetic stock for the future (especially in the US) if the gene pools suddenly become small puddles. I understand many birds end up in rescues; I think we all agree people really need to thoroughly educate themselves before getting parrots. Anyhoo, anyone have a solid explanation for the price increases?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
High demand around me, parrots in pet stores are selling fast. And sadly they aren't educated nor is staff selling them. I over heard staff tell some one the green cheek would double in size.... uh no by the time they are weaned they are pretty much full size, just might gain a few grams.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts