Is this baby cockatiel a pearl??

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I have 3 baby cockatiels, that I am currently hand feeding. they are approximately 3 weeks of age, 2 are cinnamon and the other is a lutino.
since their feathers are coming in, I noticed this pattern a few days ago.
I think it's pearl, what do u think??
The parents have had 3 clutches, the male is a pied, and the mother is a lutino, with a light dusting of cinnamon. this is the first time this pattern has appeared.

P1100846.jpg photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

P1100845.jpg photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

P1100838.jpg photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
hmmm.... did u click on the attachments labeled photo bucket?...if you still can't view them, let me know.thanks.

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Hm i clicked them before and they didn't work but now i can see the first and the last but not the middle. but it looks like a pearl to me! how weird that he's the only one out of 3 clutches? i don't know too much about genetics but there are alot of members here who know ALOT about it so maybe they can explain how a pearl popped up! lol

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
good, I'm glad it worked, I'm getting use to my new Mac, and still figuring things out :)...I have no idea how the pearl popped up either....it was a very nice surprise, not sure which one of the parents carry it, probably the father. thanks for your input.

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Ya if i remember correctly i don't think females can carry two mutation genes so if they're a certain mutation thats the only one they carry. the males are the only one's that can be split i just don't know if they can carry more then 2 genes but if i had to guess he has a tiny little piece of pearl in his genes:)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What do you mean by light dusting of cinnamon? Is she a pied or is she solid?

The baby picture is what you would call a Pearl Pied! Cause if you look at the wing, it's fully yellow.

This picture is one of my babies, he is a Pearl!

2012-01-30_03-03-20_489.jpg

Notice my baby on the far left, that is a Pearl Pied!

2011-10-31_01-38-38_362.jpg

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I thought that comment might raise a few eye brows :) I'm not heavily into genetics,and was quite surprised to see the pearl pattern.... the mother is a beautiful lutino,(solid) but her flight feathers are cinnamon, which are ver, very light in colour...not dark at all. your birds are beautiful. So I guess the dad is the one carrying this little hidden gene??
thanks for your comments

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
good, I'm glad it worked, I'm getting use to my new Mac, and still figuring things out :)...I have no idea how the pearl popped up either....it was a very nice surprise, not sure which one of the parents carry it, probably the father. thanks for your input.

Easier way of posting pic's on the forum.
When in Photobucket, after you have loaded the picture
Look towards the right hand side, there are links to choose from.
Click onto the one that says Direct Link

On the forum, click into the box 5th from the right hand side
(insert image)

It will load the picture directly onto the forum and not the link.

:grey:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I don't have a clue but very pretty babies both of you:)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I see Cinnamon Pearl Pied, I do believe... unless it's a different dilute mutation.

This would make the chick female, if the hen is not a pearl herself. If you have had previous female cockatiels that are not pearls, then the male is split pearl. If all female chicks were pearl, then the male would be a visual pearl.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Yes that's a Cinnamon Pearl Pied.

Poster, IF the mother is a pure Lutino she would have red eyes. The way I understand is if the father is a pied and you mix with a solid female such as grey, pearl, lutino, cinnamon, etc all the female chicks would be some sort of pied while all the male chicks would be solids. It make sense with my pair cause that's what happen with their chicks.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Pied is recessive. Both parents must carry the mutation in order for it to be present in any of the chicks.

Pied Male x Pearl Hen
100% Normal Males split X1 Pied X2 Pearl
100% Normal Hens split X1 Pied

It's the same if the mother is lutino or cinnamon... just replace "pearl" with the other sex-linked gene.

So the hen would have to be split pied, if she's not a visual pied, in order to get pied offspring.

MikeyTN, it's odd if all your hens are turning out pied and your males split pied, unless you somehow accidentally discovered a SL-Pied mutation?

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
ok, well, glad we sorted that out, lol. that would make sense, as I have had feedback from my customers on the previous clutch I found homes for, and the solids are talking, and singing etc...where the pied has not sung, so I am assuming it's a female.

here is a picture of the parents, mom(Sundance) is the pure Lutino with red eyes, and dad(Dexter) is the pied.

Her tummy looks a little off colour due to one of my other cockatiels had severley bit her toe, and I came home to a fair amount of blood everywhere.Since she was lifting her injured foot, it got onto her belly. I gave her a bath afterwards, but some was still on her....

P1090914.jpg photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Crimson,

I think your female might be a Fallow! Do you have a picture of her to show by any chance?

Monica,

My male is a Pied Whiteface and the female is a Cinnamon Pearl, all the baby girls are Pied Pearls and Pieds while the boys are Pearls and Greys. So far there have been no cinnamon popping out anywhere so that recessive gene is not going to show up.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
MikeyTN... there is a photo on the link that I provided of the parents. If she is fallow, that might explain the light dusting of cinnamon on her wings...am I correct??

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
MikeyTN, from that pairing, we can say that the male is a Whiteface Pied split Pearl and the hen is a Cinnamon Pearl split Pied.

We can conclude that all males will be split cinnamon. Visually, they should be normal, pied, pearl or pearl pied. All offspring would be split whiteface. Hens should be normal, pied, pearl and pearl pied.

The following website has a pretty basic genetic calculator.

Cockatiel Color Palette

Mother: Cinnamon Pearl Split To Pied
Father: Pied Whiteface Split To {X2: Pearl}

male offspring:
25% Pied Split To Whiteface {X2: Cinnamon Pearl}
25% Pied Pearl Split To Whiteface {X2: Cinnamon}
25% Grey Split To Pied Whiteface {X2: Cinnamon Pearl}
25% Pearl Split To Pied Whiteface {X2: Cinnamon}

female offspring:
25% Pied Split To Whiteface
25% Pied Pearl Split To Whiteface
25% Grey Split To Pied Whiteface
25% Pearl Split To Pied Whiteface

The other one is a bit more complicated and may include crossovers when dealing with multiple sex-linked mutations. The results here are the same, though.

Genetic Calculator 1.3 Cockatiels

1.0 natural ADM.pied blue(whiteface) /opaline(pearl)
x 0.1 natural cinnamon opaline(pearl) /ADM.pied

% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 natural opaline(pearl) ADM.pied /cinnamon blue(whiteface)
25.0% 1.0 natural opaline(pearl) /cinnamon ADM.pied blue(whiteface)
25.0% 1.0 natural ADM.pied /opaline(pearl)-cinnamon blue(whiteface)
25.0% 1.0 natural /opaline(pearl)-cinnamon ADM.pied blue(whiteface)

% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 natural ADM.pied /blue(whiteface)
25.0% 0.1 natural /ADM.pied blue(whiteface)
25.0% 0.1 natural opaline(pearl) ADM.pied /blue(whiteface)
25.0% 0.1 natural opaline(pearl) /ADM.pied blue(whiteface)

Of course, this is all theoretically speaking. I know of one man in Australia that bought a Lorikeet split Lutino, and over 16(?) years and pairing with multiple hens, this male did not produce a lutino offspring. He practically gave up on the male and put him in the "back of the aviary" to be tended to by his son. He thought the seller had lied to him, and for good reason! After being "put away" (in a matter of speaking), this male did finally produce a lutino offspring! And not one, but two or three? Just goes to show you can never rely on calculators! :rolleyes:

Crimson, would need to see more of your birds to be clear of their mutations. From what I gather, the male is a pied split cinnamon pearl and lutino and the hen is a lutino, possibly cinnamon. Would need good photos of the eyes.

Are all non-ino offspring cinnamon? If so, this would indicate the male is actually a cinnamon pied and the hen a cinnamon lutino. If you only get cinnamon hens, then the male is split cinnamon and the hen is not cinnamon. If you get cinnamon males as well as non-cinnamons (lutino excluded), then the male is split cinnamon and hen is cinnamon.

Since we are dealing with 3 sex-linked mutations, it's possible that there could be some cross-overs occurring.

I saw in your photo album that there is what appears to possibly be a cinnamon whiteface pied. Is this bird one from the pairing or unrelated?

BTW, you may be interested in this photo album. It's quite informative.

http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/cc331/Mousebirds-and-more/Other birds/

Last edited:
OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
unrelated, I just picked her up, just over a week ago, she is 10 weeks old and a real cuddle bug, I just love her, I think she is a whiteface cinnamon pearl pied....not sure if I got that right???, anyways she's not the one in question.
All I know are the offspring of the parents are either, cinnamon pied(presumably male), cinnamon pearl pied (presumably males) and lutino with red eyes (presumably female)....if I have that correct from the above info, thanks for all your knowledge, this is a very good forum, everyone is very helpful!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Alright, just double checking! Although I don't see pearl in the whiteface, she does appear to be a whiteface cinnamon pied.

Can you share other photos of the siblings to this cinnamon pearl?

If both parents carry the cinnamon and lutino genes, there is no way you can visually sex the offspring of the same mutations. Without having to type it all out, I'll allow the genetics calculator to do it for me.

Mother: Cinnamon Lutino Split To Pied
Father: Pied Cinnamon Split To {X1: Lutino} {X2: Pearl}

male offspring:
25% Pied Cinnamon Lutino
25% Pied Cinnamon Split To {X1: Pearl} {X2: Lutino}
25% Cinnamon Lutino Split To Pied
25% Cinnamon Split To Pied {X1: Pearl} {X2: Lutino}

female offspring:
25% Pied Cinnamon Lutino
25% Pied Cinnamon Pearl
25% Cinnamon Lutino Split To Pied
25% Cinnamon Pearl Split To Pied

Unfortunately, it can be hard to tell what mutations a lutino is carrying. If all offspring are cinnamon, we know she's a cinnamon lutino. If all offspring are cinnamon pieds, we can then assume that she's a cinnamon pied lutino. If the offspring are cinnamon AND cinnamon pied, then we know she's split pied and not visual pied.

If she is not a visual pearl, then all pearl offspring are females, and thus she (the cinnamon pearl pied offspring) is the only one that could be visually sexed by her mutation. Now, if the mother is not cinnamon, this would mean that all cinnamon offspring are also hens.

It's quite confusing until you better understand genetics and how they work. In birds, it is the opposite to humans in regards to sex-linked genes.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Monica,

I use that same exact program, but I just have to see what babies they give me cause so far the Pearl Pieds have been all girls. I had the last two with me for quite sometime while the one before was a girl too. So far all the Pearls have been boys cause I've asked the owners that have them now how they are. The pieds are inconclusive because so far I've got no feed back. They have not given me any Greys in awhile now but the ones they've had before were boys. They've had quite a few clutches for me and the babies never stays with me long enough for me to know for sure so I depend on the new owners to tell me. But as you know, not all give feed back....

Also the Cinnamon hens have red eyes as well, same with Fallows....The poster needs a better picture to show of the hen.

Most Reactions