Is this birdie bread ok?

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Ah perfect! Thank you I will check these out first and see if I can get all the ingredients myself :)

How much do you give at a time? Just a little piece? As a treat only?

Edit: I think I will try the Momma's bread first, then attempt to locate all these ingredients!!!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
The great thing about making birdie bread is you can use the ingredients you have available:) There are so many cool flours (whole wheat,quinoa, lentil, corn meal etc) and they all work just as well. I usually just chop a bunch of stuff, throw some flour in, I usually use carrot juice to mix and 2 or 3 eggs and keep adding either flour or juice until it is the right consistency. I give it as an added treat, cut into small chunks. It also freezes and thaws well.
Good idea to get one of the mixes first so you can see the consistency and see how Jasper likes it:)
Please post pictures!

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Bird Bread Baking Mixes from Things for Wings, Parrot Supplies, Toys, Food and More

All of the ingredients look ok, just wasn't sure about the flour. It says to add two eggs/water.

As a treat, would you feed this to your Ekkie?

Edit: Actually any of the ones here I guess Popular Momma's Bird Bread from Things for Wings they're all made by the same company. I just checked another one briefly and the ingredients were similar.

All are great options and healthy. Things for Wings is an awesome company to purchase from, Danita is a very serious bird momma and wonderful person, items in her store are quality! It is convenient to have the mixes for when you are short on time, but agree with everyone, you can make up birdie bread yourself. You will invest a bit on initially purchasing ingredients, but in the long run, loaf for loaf, it is much cheaper.

You can grind up pellets and use pellets in place of some of the flour, and puree veggies and fruit for some of the liquid too :) I will see what recipes I can dig up for birdie breads we make at the shelter all the time. But a great site for getting into making things for your babies is - cookingforparrots.com.

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Costco has "Aussie Bites" organic, portion appropriate, and pretty darn tasty. Got them for Wrangler last week but I ended up eating several---based on the label it isnt something i'd have ever picked up if it werent for him. Taking in cost of ingredients and time, the price was very reasonable

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Costco has "Aussie Bites" organic, portion appropriate, and pretty darn tasty. Got them for Wrangler last week but I ended up eating several---based on the label it isnt something i'd have ever picked up if it werent for him. Taking in cost of ingredients and time, the price was very reasonable

Is "Aussie Bites" a "people" food?? I have not made birdie bread at all..I doin't really "cook" too well :eek: lol.
I have been reading a lot of posts about the stuff...I saw an awesome post from Juliet <Tropical> about how she makes the stuff for Rascal and 'Nut.
I'd like to try and make some for Amy and BB.
I know Amy would at least try it...she'll nosh on anything lol but little BB is a picky little so-and-so.

Jim

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler

Is "Aussie Bites" a "people" food?? I have not made birdie bread at all..I doin't really "cook" too well :eek: lol.
I have been reading a lot of posts about the stuff...I saw an awesome post from Juliet <Tropical> about how she makes the stuff for Rascal and 'Nut.
I'd like to try and make some for Amy and BB.
I know Amy would at least try it...she'll nosh on anything lol but little BB is a picky little so-and-so.

Jim

Yes, Its people food. Has all kinds of healthy stuff in it which is why I wouldnt give it a second look--doesnt sound like it would taste good--and why eat organic healthy stuff when you can have oreos, right? flax and rolled oats is the only thing i remember and ive thrown out the box already. Its in one of those clear square plastic tubs with the mini muffins stacked 2 high. I'd be up for making my own birdie bread but i learned a long time ago that by the time you acquire the ingredients it's sometimes more worthwhile to purchase it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts