Is this okay or toxic??

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
Is cuticle oil okay to use once your bird is put to bed at night? I was looking at the cnd solar cuticle oil. It's ingredients are: Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Almond Fragrance, Tocopherol Acetate.

His cage is in my room not far from my bed, will this be toxic around him?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
How strong is the smell?

I wouldn’t recommend using any kind of fragrance even if not too strong around your bird if you can help it.

Be careful to to get it on his feathers either, that would be much worse than him breathing it in.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Oils around birds is rarely a good idea as it tends to gum the feathers together and it requires a very specific mix of Dawn original dish soap and water to break it down and release it and than tons of clear, clean water to rise it off their very tender skin!

Then there is Acetate. Acetate is not even safe to be around Humans without extensive efforts to have excellent ventilation.

Your nail care should not be practiced in your bedroom as the chemical mix is damaging and dangerous.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I have to use oil on my hands/fingernail beds in the winter, usually just plain jojoba and often a thick cream afterward before I go to bed. Is there any way you could put the cuticle oil on in a different room and let it dry away from your bird? And then wash your hands in the morning before your parrot would step up? That's generally what I do since my bird cages are in the living room, and I have air quality monitors there that don't detect anything from my skincare routine (cooking, on the other hand, yikes! Ha)

OP
millymb21

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
Oh wow! Okay thank you so much everyone!! Im still trying to learn what's okay and what isn't. What about body lotions? My skin gets very dry I use the cerva body lotion is this okay to use? I apply it in a different room from him?

Most Reactions

Latest posts