Is this true about the Alexes?

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Hello everyone! Hope you and your birds are well!

I have learned from a few sources that Alexandrines are "frightful" parrots. Is this true about them? If it isn't then what is the basis for this bad rep?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I haven't met an Alexandrine but the ringnecks in general do have a reputation for being less "tame".

My opinion - based on a very very short time of having a ringneck, meeting some Indian ringnecks, and volunteering with other types of birds, is that they are more independent - my bird is happy if I'm in the room but he also is happy to play by himself. From talking to other ringneck owners I've met this doesn't seem too unusual.

Maybe this quality is why they aren't as motivated to befriend people as some other parrots? I don't know.

Maybe some of it is their body language? My ringneck shows very subtle signs when he starts to be uncomfortable and it can be really easy for me to not notice (especially when I first had him home). Then he reacts in a more obvious way like stepping away from me the next 30 times because I was not reading him correctly when he just used his eyes or a tiny twitch of his wings. He can definitely read me better than I can read him!

I am by NO means an expert on ringnecks - I'm totally guessing here. My ringneck is not scared of me, but he will definitely run away if I don't pay attention to what he's telling me, for example. Where my son's cockatiel will just keep trying then will bite to get his message across. It's a difference in communicating to us, in my opinion.

I've come to really love all the ringnecks - I think Alexandrines are absolutely beautiful and I hope to meet one some day!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
The ones Iā€™ve met were funny & curious but independent. They seemed to really like the hands off tricks & interaction. If you want a bird to cuddle itā€™s probably not this species. They are more of a on their own terms & when they feel like it type.

Most likely the bad rep is because people are overbearing in general. Instead of being hands off they probably just kept getting in their face trying to force cuddling & bonding. Independent birds donā€™t want to sit with you every two seconds. They want to do their own thing & if you look interesting they will come harass you. But most people probably try to force it & end up getting nailed. And if they keep it up birds remember you as an overbearing PITA that doesnā€™t listen to reason & theyā€™ll just go straight to biting.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
I haven't met an Alexandrine but the ringnecks in general do have a reputation for being less "tame".

My opinion - based on a very very short time of having a ringneck, meeting some Indian ringnecks, and volunteering with other types of birds, is that they are more independent - my bird is happy if I'm in the room but he also is happy to play by himself. From talking to other ringneck owners I've met this doesn't seem too unusual.

Maybe this quality is why they aren't as motivated to befriend people as some other parrots? I don't know.

Maybe some of it is their body language? My ringneck shows very subtle signs when he starts to be uncomfortable and it can be really easy for me to not notice (especially when I first had him home). Then he reacts in a more obvious way like stepping away from me the next 30 times because I was not reading him correctly when he just used his eyes or a tiny twitch of his wings. He can definitely read me better than I can read him!

I am by NO means an expert on ringnecks - I'm totally guessing here. My ringneck is not scared of me, but he will definitely run away if I don't pay attention to what he's telling me, for example. Where my son's cockatiel will just keep trying then will bite to get his message across. It's a difference in communicating to us, in my opinion.

I've come to really love all the ringnecks - I think Alexandrines are absolutely beautiful and I hope to meet one some day!
Thank you @Cottonoid for sharing your experience! I come from Pakistan. Two of the most common indigenous species ar re the IRN and the Alexes. And I would agree with you they have the re of being quite wild. I also believe that it is the nature of the species to be more independent and a hands off bird. it in their temperament. That said one has to have REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS. i also believe that parrot owners who don't know much about training try to force themselves on the bird which is ruins the bonding process by stressing out the bird and things keep going from bad to worse, till the parent owner either ets rid of the bird or relegates them to a small cage for life!

Over here this is very very common. people pay one tenth of the price of a Moluccan and get an IRN or an Alexandrine and expect it to behave like a velcro bird, always wanting to be cuddled.

So yes i believe that one sould have a good understanding of a species temperament and gauge accordingly whether that is the kind of bird they really need.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
The ones Iā€™ve met were funny & curious but independent. They seemed to really like the hands off tricks & interaction. If you want a bird to cuddle itā€™s probably not this species. They are more of a on their own terms & when they feel like it type.

Most likely the bad rep is because people are overbearing in general. Instead of being hands off they probably just kept getting in their face trying to force cuddling & bonding. Independent birds donā€™t want to sit with you every two seconds. They want to do their own thing & if you look interesting they will come harass you. But most people probably try to force it & end up getting nailed. And if they keep it up birds remember you as an overbearing PITA that doesnā€™t listen to reason & theyā€™ll just go straight to biting.
Wow! The information you have shared is really great! I agree with you 100%. It's the species temperament that determines what kind of a bird you need to get. Alexes and IRNs are not for people who what to spend 4 hurs with their bird cuddling it. I believe that they need to be with people who are busier and can;t be with the bird 24/7..

so what would be the best approach to training there birds in a 'hands off' way?How would it differ from traing a bird that is say a moderate level social bird?

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
The reason my Alex is so loving to me is because he came from an extremely abusive situation!! He would not allow a male near him without striking when I first rescued him- Now with a year of loving and understanding and yes giving him his space- He has turned into a cuddling loving bird! As you can see in the pic- he actually demands his blankie and a nap wrapped in it , in my arms if he dont get this he screams - so I allow him this . Mayabe I shouldnt BUT he deserves it !!

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Wow! It must be truly special to share that kind of a bond with a bird. You are lucky! Though I do understand that you must have invested a lot of quality time to bring the bird to that level.

So what would be the best approach to training these birds in a 'hands off' way? How would it differ from traing a bird that is a more social species?

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
OMgoodness! YES I have a bond with StanLee. He is my sweet baby!!!
I personally found that clicker training with sunflower seeds as rewards worked wonderful with StanLee. soft talking and the fact that I was so deeply sorry for this lil guy that I treated him like an abused child.
As far as other species- I dont know - I have only trained StanLee and one other bird a Blue and Gold Macaw. He was clicker trained as well. I think you have to love the animal your training be it bird or dog or horse. A soft hand and gentle voice has always been the ticket for me.

OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Well whaddaya know. Love makes the world go round! ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøšŸ˜ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
This is copied from the current Wikipedia article on psittacula: ā€œIn north-west India, Indian rose-ringed parakeets form pairs from September to December. They do not have life mates and often breed with another partner during the following breeding season.ā€

I thought that I remembered that psittacula species donā€™t keep a lifelong pair bond, but only for a season. I think this is the best explanation for why these birds can be less friendly: they just donā€™t bond as tightly.

I donā€™t have any proof for that, and we know many birds do ā€œcheatā€ on their partners, but thatā€™s been my thought. Psittacula species travel in big flocks in between the breeding season so their right pair bond is broken. They need to get along with many birds and not just one. Maybe this explains why these birds are less friendly/cuddly. Or maybe not. But I think it does.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
This is copied from the current Wikipedia article on psittacula: ā€œIn north-west India, Indian rose-ringed parakeets form pairs from September to December. They do not have life mates and often breed with another partner during the following breeding season.ā€

I thought that I remembered that psittacula species donā€™t keep a lifelong pair bond, but only for a season. I think this is the best explanation for why these birds can be less friendly: they just donā€™t bond as tightly.

I donā€™t have any proof for that, and we know many birds do ā€œcheatā€ on their partners, but thatā€™s been my thought. Psittacula species travel in big flocks in between the breeding season so their right pair bond is broken. They need to get along with many birds and not just one. Maybe this explains why these birds are less friendly/cuddly. Or maybe not. But I think it does.
Looks like Zeleni wasn't in school when they taught that the pair bonding is only for one season xD
My IRN was VERY attached to me and me only for over 10 years. But he was a special nutcase so...

I would like to add that absolutely - IRNs are very much hands off birds. Not cuddly. Mine was very tame and while I could hold him and give him some very gentle head scratches, but he wasn't too fond of it. Hands off interaction (talking, singing, dancing) was way more rewarding than just trying to hold him, compared to my absolute snugglebug conure. That bird always just wants to be with us snuggling.
When my parents got an IRN he was completely wild and afraid of people. Only after 2 years he started to get closer to people.
So what would be the best approach to training these birds in a 'hands off' way? How would it differ from traing a bird that is a more social species?
I'd say the training would be the same as with any frightful bird - target training with a stick and clicker would be the first step. I did it with my conure (who was very very frightful of people) and did wonders. But even for a hands off bird you might want to teach them to step up onto your hand sooner or later. It's kinda hard to say as every bird differs, you just gotta follow their own pace.

Most Reactions