Is this way of playing with my parrot okay?

Parotteer

Aug 21, 2022
Media
Netherlands
Parrots
Chico - Amazon (born 2021)
Wiggles - cockatiel (born 2018) - missing
Lotje - cockatiel (born 2020)
Potje - cockatiel (born 2020)
R.I.P. 2022 Tjakko - African Grey (born 1973) - Was with me since 2014
Hello. Good morning from the Netherlands.

Chico is my one year old Amazon who's been with me for about a month now. We're getting along really well and we're having a great time together. Chico is very playful and I like that very much. He has lots of things he can play with. He also likes to "wrestle" with my hands. Chewing on it, loving it when I softly try to grab his legs in "revenge". I sometimes hold him with two hands and turn him on his back or move him in circles. He seems to love it. I have to calm him down often or he'll go over the top and bites me a bit too hard. But I see it as a good training to learn eachothers boundries.

For most of my life I've had dogs. And in their puppy stage they are very playful too. Same thing with the "wrestling" part. But I wonder, am I projecting my dog puppy past too much on Chico? Is it wise to play like that or would I be stimulating sexual feelings in him? I would like to hear what you think.

Well, so far. Thank you for reading, and maybe giving some advice.

Have a nice day, Mikey

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I rough house with my Yellow Shoulder 'Zon, Salty when he is in the mood, in much a similar manner. He is going on 7 years old and I've had him the whole time. Same thing - he plays until he gets over stimulated. I don;t see a problem.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is always important to remember that Parrots are not Dogs and that interactions need to be different as most interactions with a Dog can bring on a Hormonal response with an older Parrot.

Hands-on can occur with a young Parrot, but it should be limited as even as a young parrot it can be easy to get them excited and bitting can and does result. Play should have limits that you need to keep control of yourself as your Parrot is likely to just keep going.

Assure that you read with 'understanding' the two highlighted Threads at the top of the Amazon Forum as they represent the foundation of loving and living with Amazons. Your Amazon is young and will not be presenting a full cross body language. But you should be aware that Amazons have a hardwired set of Body Languages and you need to understand them and see them when they present.

OP
Parotteer

Parotteer

Aug 21, 2022
Media
Netherlands
Parrots
It is always important to remember that Parrots are not Dogs and that interactions need to be different as most interactions with a Dog can bring on a Hormonal response with an older Parrot.

Hands-on can occur with a young Parrot, but it should be limited as even as a young parrot it can be easy to get them excited and bitting can and does result. Play should have limits that you need to keep control of yourself as your Parrot is likely to just keep going.

Assure that you read with 'understanding' the two highlighted Threads at the top of the Amazon Forum as they represent the foundation of loving and living with Amazons. Your Amazon is young and will not be presenting a full cross body language. But you should be aware that Amazons have a hardwired set of Body Languages and you need to understand them and see them when they present.
Hey Sailboat,

You're quite right in everything you point out. Chico is not my first parot, but it is my first young parrot. Tjakko, my African grey was already 40 when I adopted him. And he was handicapped. It was a totally different experience.
When Chico and I play I always set the boundaries. And it's always me who stops the playing as he/she indeed keeps going. I was wondering if he will learn to limit the strengths of his bites through playing. Can you say something about that?
I have read the first post at the top of the forum, it does not mention playing in my recollection. Also read a book about parot behavior from our local Parot shelter owner, did a course with Tjakko before they let anyone adopt a bird. Watched many many Youtube vids. Just could not find much on this topic.
I had seen your post, the second on at the top of the Amazon forum. Very interesting. Had a better look just now and frankly can't wait to read all of it. Wonderful you took the time to post all that knowledge so we can put it to good use.
My English is pretty good but at times I might get confused. For example when you say, 'hands on' time, you mean touching, whatever that touching is right? Biting can and might result. I don't mind some biting, well I mentioned this a bit above in this reply.
I don't know if by 'full cross' body language you mean, the complete set of body language?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Bite Pressure Training is very important and it is not easy to train as you are verbally responding as your Amazon is in fact biting you. The goal is verbally reward soft contact and state no, when the pressure is more than needed to communicate. You need to be very consistent in what is acceptable and what is not!

Hands on time, yes, when you have you hands on your Amazon. As a young Parrot, it is easy to fully hold your Amazon, but as an Adult, that can result in stimulating a Hormonal Response! Avoid fully holding and cuddling as stimulation can result as your Parrot becomes older.

I elected not to include a discussion regarding playing as most is acceptable interaction. But, if your Amazon begins to become bitty, stop as for that Amazon it is something they do not want. Each has limits and the warning is that those limits change as they become older.

Last edited:
OP
Parotteer

Parotteer

Aug 21, 2022
Media
Netherlands
Parrots
Bite Pressure Training is very important and it is not easy to train as you are verbally responding as your Amazon is in fact biting you. The goal is verbally reward soft contact and state no, when the pressure is more than needed to communicate. You need to be very consistent in what is acceptable and what is not!

Hands on time, yes, when you have you hands on your Amazon. As a young Parrot, it is easy to fully hold your Amazon, but as an Adult, that can result in stimulating a Hormonal Response! Avoid fully holding and cuddling as stimulation can result as your Parrot becomes older.

I elected not to include a discussion regarding playing as most is acceptable interaction. But, if your Amazon begins to become bitty, stop as for that Amazon it is something they do not want. Each has limits and the warning is that those limits change as they become older.
I see the wrestling part mostly as training, and I think I'm pretty consistent too. But good to keep your advice in the back of my mind. Now for the cuddling part, that is just the cutest! :-( but I guess scratching his head and letting him sit on me, falling asleep, are as far as it should go.

Most Reactions