Is UV Bulb harmful to birds

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
This may be a dumb question but are these bulbs bad for birds?

I used the Featherbrite full spectrum bulbs for my birds for 16 years. Then my light fixture started to go so I ordered a new universal light from featherbrite

I ordered the universal light which goes above the cage.

However, I noticed that besides a full spectrum bulb it came with this UVB bulb. Both are used together. But then I recently heard the UV bulbs cateracts in birds. My girls are 18 and so I don't want to cause health issues.

If anyone has this light fixture how do you use it? And how long do you keep it on? I phased it out during the summer but prior to that I had it on 4 to 5 hours a day.

Jc

Choufie

Apr 5, 2022
Houston, TX
Parrots
The flock:
• pallid quaker “Chouchou” born 2021
• opaline quaker “Fifi” born 2018
The UV index output (UVI) for the featherbrite is advertised as 400 nanometers, which means the bulb does not produce wavelengths shorter than 400nm. UVA light is between 280-400nm and UVB light is between 280-320nm. A UV bulb with an output of 400nm barely produces any UVA wavelengths, and no UVB wavelengths because the UV spectrum starts at about 405nm. It looks like there's not much difference from the full spectrum (visible light) lightbulb they sell. This bulb won't really give parrots the benefits of UV light, but it also isn't likely to be harmful either.

My parrot's avian vet gave me some handouts on UV light bulbs in my parrot's medical records folder. It has bulb brand recommendations, explains the benefits/harms of correct/incorrect UV bulb use, and how to use the bulbs safely & effectively. Here is the PDF version:
Putnam Veterinary Clinic's Pamphlet on UV Lighting for Parrots/Companion Birds

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
UV (UVI) and all the other name variances are proper considerations for Reptiles, Not Parrots.

The light bulbs all the way to heat /light arc rod industries have searched for ways to increase their profits for decades. and have and are still activity pushing their products. But whether you are hearing reviews from your Avian Medical Professional or some marketing pusher, the basic question is : Where on the bird do they understand they are being exposed to that light spectrum? Not their extremely thin skin. Not their claws. Not their bills. So, unless their documentation specifically identifies the where an Avian (Parrot) perceive that spectrum it is just marketing push.

The reality is: A Standard Daylight LED is just as effective as the most most expensive /intense product on the market. A 60 watt standard daylight LED placed in a room for general lighting is just as effective as the most expensive light arc rod unit. The only difference is how quickly those high-cost product will cause your Parrot blindness, skin cancer and up your electric costs.

So where do Parrots perceive this color spectrum??

But, its your money, your Parrot and your choice.

Most Reactions