Is your bird getting a hormone injection at the vets office?

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I don't have access to open nor read I'm curious what it says.

Also, I see "poison" is badly misspelled, and yes I am quite alergic to such typos especially when it's supposed to be scientific.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Theres nothing scientific about the article. Bless their hearts, it reads like a meandering teenager rant. My eyes bled as I tried to get through it, which I gave up on.

OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Theres nothing scientific about the article. Bless their hearts, it reads like a meandering teenager rant. My eyes bled as I tried to get through it, which I gave up on.
They definitely did not give their sources but it did send me in a rabbit hole of researching lupron. Lupron being used on birds is a hot topic. From what I found Lupron does have side effects that I feel are pretty significant. Personaly, I would not use Lupron.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I'm so curious, what did it say/claim?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I gave up when they started - in part - pointing to human use of lupron and some side effects like tooth damage as a reason to never use lupron on your birds.

you know you’re on the wrong footing when…

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I gave up when they started - in part - pointing to human use of lupron and some side effects like tooth damage as a reason to never use lupron on your birds.

you know you’re on the wrong footing when…
I'm guessing Lupron is given as a last resort to hens with chronic egg laying, correct?

While in humans all hormone therapies usually have some nasty side effects, what are the common side effects in birds then? I've just heard that it either works or it simply doesn't.

OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I'm guessing Lupron is given as a last resort to hens with chronic egg laying, correct?

While in humans all hormone therapies usually have some nasty side effects, what are the common side effects in birds then? I've just heard that it either works or it simply doesn't.
Yes and it helps for a little then stops. The little I found on parrots is that it just mask the symptoms and does not treat the cause. For people the drug has some pretty severe side effects. I found a lot information Lupron being used for people and not much with parrots/birds. There are alot of parrot owners talking about it on another forum. But again I haven't found any scientific studies of Luprin being used for birds.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Yes and it helps for a little then stops. The little I found on parrots is that it just mask the symptoms and does not treat the cause. For people the drug has some pretty severe side effects. I found a lot information Lupron being used for people and not much with parrots/birds. There are alot of parrot owners talking about it on another forum. But again I haven't found any scientific studies of Luprin being used for birds.
There are quite a few mentions of lupron used in birds written by scientists/vetenarians, it was tricky to find but I sure did, bit older though. You cannot compare usage in humans and in birds. Lupron is also used for some other exotic animals, it was also researched on ferets. Also it is not meant to treat the cause that much, but more like a help to get out of the hormonal state. In one scientific article, with supported sources it was mentioned that it is effective if you ensure all other things that trigger egg laying like how much light the bird gets, nests, diet, or if he bird already has a clutch to leave it and not remove until the bird has lost interest in it. There were other drugs that were meant for treating hormonal behaviour but apparently had much more side effects that Lupron (in birds). It was mainly researched on cockatiels, apparently. And in the end, there is no guarantee it will work on all birds. It is also up to the owner to decide, seeing that chronic egg laying can be fatal in multiple ways.

OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
There are quite a few mentions of lupron used in birds written by scientists/vetenarians, it was tricky to find but I sure did, bit older though. You cannot compare usage in humans and in birds. Lupron is also used for some other exotic animals, it was also researched on ferets. Also it is not meant to treat the cause that much, but more like a help to get out of the hormonal state. In one scientific article, with supported sources it was mentioned that it is effective if you ensure all other things that trigger egg laying like how much light the bird gets, nests, diet, or if he bird already has a clutch to leave it and not remove until the bird has lost interest in it. There were other drugs that were meant for treating hormonal behaviour but apparently had much more side effects that Lupron (in birds). It was mainly researched on cockatiels, apparently. And in the end, there is no guarantee it will work on all birds. It is also up to the owner to decide, seeing that chronic egg laying can be fatal in multiple ways.
Can you send the link to the studies? I haven't been able to find any for birds. I definitely agree with looking at all the options to address a problem.

Most Reactions