ISO Bird(s)

ChrisJ

Mar 14, 2018
Hi I'm Chris! I am in search of a new bird. If there is anyone in the Minnesota area that would like to re-home or sell a bird for a reasonable price let me know and we can talk. I currently have 1 very friendly budgie and have lots of experience with birds. They would be going to a very loving and caring home.
Thank you!
-Chris

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
What sort of bird are you interested in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

ChrisJ

Mar 14, 2018
Any bird someone really has to offer, Do you have any birds your trying to rehome or sell?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I raise parrots, but I have to be honest, choosing a parrot is really important and the different species are radically different to live with; as a breeder I would never let one of my babies go home with someone who couldn’t explain to me why they really want to share their life with the specific species they were looking to adopt. Please take some time to really research which species would be a good fit for your family.

OP
C

ChrisJ

Mar 14, 2018
Mostly thinking Conure, Cockatiel, Cockatoo, Senegals, Amazons, Quakers, and Budgies.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Wow... those birds are all extremely different...not narrowed down at all...

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello from Iowa! I'm just a skip away :)

The difference between a budgie and an amazon are astronomically different.

What is your budget? Living situation? You can expect to spend around $20-30 a month for one single budgie on just food and toys versus around $100-150 a month for a Cockatoo. Cockatoos/Amazons also live 40+ years. That is equal to $48,000 over their lifetime, on the low side. Are you prepared to spend that? Do you have aan income of your own? How committed are you to a new companion?

Keep researching and narrow down what bird really speaks to you. The bigger the bird, the bigger the personality/budget!!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Mostly thinking Conure, Cockatiel, Cockatoo, Senegals, Amazons, Quakers, and Budgies.

Do you have prior experience caring for large parrots? If not, all cockatoo species (except cockatiels) should just be cut from your list of potentials period. Cockatoos are arguably the most difficult of all parrots to keep as pets and with few exceptions, beginners simply have no business getting a cockatoo as their first bird (not even smaller species like galah or goffins). Amazons as well. They tend to be more adaptable than cockatoos but the larger species come with hormonal issues a brand new to birds owner would not be well equipped to handle.

Now your list is down to a more sensible one- conures, cockatiels, Senegals and parakeets (quakers are a species of parakeet, there are several others besides budgies as well). Of those, I would personally probably just stick to doing my extensive research into cockatiels, parakeets and small conures, all species with huge potential to make great companions and be a manageable introduction to the world of caring for parrots. Senegals could be a potential, but do your research and make that decision very carefully. Poicephulus (the family Senegals belong to) do have a reputation for being a bit nippy birds.

A few things that could help us help you narrow your search down would be to know a bit more about you, your lifestyle (do you spend lots of time at home, do you work crazy hours, do you travel all the time....), your living situation (are you a renter of a studio apartment or do you own a big home with property or have 5 roommates....). What do you know about parrots so far? What about the species above appeals most to you, like typical traits and characteristics? The more information, the more we can help! :)

OP
C

ChrisJ

Mar 14, 2018
Hi! Thanks for all the replies! I have moderate experience with birds like Cockatoo's. If you think that would not be a good fit for me then I will not buy one. I live at home with 3 other people but it is a generally large home. I did a lot of research last night with the budget for birds and I think the largest bird I can afford and manage to budget right now is a Conure! Any other birds like the Conure or smaller than that I can take in right now. I have been doing a lot of research on my local humane society and rescues in my area and none of them seem to fit my experience or level of care I can take in right now. I am still up for a new bird but now I have just narrowed down to a Conure for now. I typically would not like to get a bird as large as a Conure or Cockatiel from a bigbox petstore such as Petco or Petsmart or other commercial pet stores. If anyone would like to rehome or sell a bird please let me know and we can discuss! Thank you!
-Chris

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Try looking at craigslist or local rescues

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Hi and welcome,

There are some great parrot rescue organizations in Michigan. Many will accept volunteer help. This might be something boring or gross like cage cleaning, which is an important part of parrot ownership. You'd have a chance to get to know a lot of different parrots, so you can get a sense of the different personalities between the different species, and between different individuals of the same species. Plus, they may have a perfect bird that falls in love with you.

Another good thing about doing this volunteer work is you will get a first-hand look at what happens to parrots who are neglected or abused. People may believe they are taking good care of their bird - after all, the pet store just said to give her seeds and water, right? - when they have created a malnourished, unsocialized, cage-bound, sick, or neurotic bird. You will see what kinds of damage these poor things survive, and see how wonderful it can be to bring one back to health and happiness. I can't think of a better way to get into bird parront-hood. Good luck!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thanks for replying with more info!

To find my two cockatiels I used Hoobly.com , if you just type in 'conure' in the search box it will bring a whole bunch of results, then from there you can select the USA and then your state - Minnesota - and find the birds people are advertising in your area. You are better off finding a weaned baby from a reputable breeder who will charge you about half as much as say Petco or another pet store. Most conures (depending on type) sell for around $200-450.

Have you been in touch with MAARS? The Midwest Avian Rescue and Adoption Services located in St. Paul, MN? I wish I lived closed but I am out of their adoption range. It looks like from their website they are an extremely diverse flock of birds there, from cockatiels to amazons to cockatoos to macaws. I highly suggest you start there and begin volunteering to understand parrots better and to help you determine what parrot species may be right for you.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
op = original poster

I have to agree with ToMango to degree. Opening a thread looking for any parrot at all seems slightly suspicious but I think the fact you narrowed it down to just a conure and have been cooperative with our questions and such clears a bit of suspicion.

If your intents are 100% pure please don't take offense, the users on this forum are just very passionate about birds and the safety of said birds.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I also initially had that feeling but sometimes it’s hard to tell on the internet and we all have to start somewhere. The initial post sounded like a flipper, but it’s so hard to be sure from the other side of the internet, and I truly hope the OP is just beginning a wonderful journey of parrot slave life.

OP
C

ChrisJ

Mar 14, 2018
Hi Everyone! Yes I am sorry it sounded very sketchy at first but I didnt really know any other way to start haha. I am a very caring and loving pet parent <3. Thank you all for trying to help!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What is "OP"

Thank-you, for providing more information. That helps greatly in understanding both yourself and your interests.

The dark size of the web contains individuals that are in search of Parrots that they can obtain cheap or free and then resell. The term for what they do is 'flipping.' It is very common for their Post(s) to be overly vag in what type of Parrot they are looking for.

Your honesty has helped greatly in separating and clarifying what you are looking for in your next Parrot!

Welcome to Parrot Forums!

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Another bird to look into - parrotlets. They have huge personalities for such a tiny parrot. Cockatiels (well, mine at least) to me are the perfect bird though because of their sweet, gentle nature. Conures are playful and clownish parrots that keep you on your toes a little more than cockatiels. Another budgie, of course, would also be a good option, because you know what to expect with them. Lovebirds are another small bird with a big personality, but I’ve heard they can be a little nippy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts