ISO-Cockatoo

mgoudeau0118

Feb 14, 2021
Illinois
Parrots
Green cheek conure
So here's the story...my Mom is looking for a cockatoo. :white1: She's 40 years old, shes retired, & shes home all the time by herself. She does has experience with larger parrots & parrots in general, & I'm currently looking for her a companion. She can't afford a baby one of course because their so expensive, & she's on disability & a monthly budget. If given the opportunity to adopt one for a low fee or given one, she would definitely take very good care of it & it would go to a great home, & be very taken care of. I know that people spend alot of money on these birdies, & that their not cheap at all, but in a sense this would be a situation not about the money, but about your birdy that you love & care for to go to a good home & be taken care of, rather than making up for the money u lose, & to me that's more important. I know that people get worried because when the owner passes, then what happens to the birdy?...but I've already told my mom, & we've worked out already that way down the line if something happens, she wouldn't have to worry at all, and that I would take care of it for her. I also have experience with larger parrots & parrots, & would be able to connect with it & become a part of its life, because me & my mom are very close. So, if anyone has a cockatoo companion that their no longer able to care for, or someone has one up for adoption, please let me know. :grey: We are in Southern Illinois.

P.S. We will pick up only, & are willing to travel! Thank you & God Bless! :40:

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Your mom does not sound like she is in a good position to get a white cockatoo-- They are super demanding + VERY expensive and have a long period of time where they are babies, but that is 6-7 out 0f 80 years (personality and what is appropriate changes vastly at puberty).... They are also the most re-homed parrot out there---period. Other large parrots are not U2s, but I do appreciate that you want to help etc.

If your mom doesn't want to deal with a parrot that is SO MUCH harder than a human 3-year-old (with extreme special needs) and a beak that can send you to the ER, then I would strongly re-think this (my background is in ABA and I teach teens/adults with extreme behaviors-- I also have a U2 and I'm not exaggerating). They can be HILARIOUS and so cute/sweet, but it is ALWAYS more complicated than it seems, as there is always something sexual and they need 12 hour sleep-schedule with bedtimes, hours out of the cage, planned interaction, time to teach independence etc. U2s are totally unique to other large parrots in many ways and they are also super expensive (which is already a concern, per your post). I want to reiterate-- this is not a pet-- it is a very very intense toddler that can do much more damage and is much louder (this is true of most parrots, but U2s take it all to a new level)..one that self-mutilates when its needs aren't met (and those needs naturally would include a mate, a flock of 100+ other birds, and 40 miles of flight). U2s are one of the only parrot types that finds a mate and makes nest while continuing to live with the flock. That is a VERY tall order for a human to match in captivity...Do not underestimate the power of that tri-point beak either..or the extreme dander.

If she can't afford one, that is just one of many reasons to re-think this plan, well-intentioned as it is.

To me, when it comes to experience, u2 experience is unlike any other (despite some commonalities). A lifetime of large parrots (non U2) does not prepare you for a U2 (due to their odd personalities/body language/mood swings etc).

That "cuddle" quality people love them for is also what causes them to self-destruct, attack, scream, pluck etc (because they want cuddles, but should not be allowed to have them, as they are very hormonal and cavity nesters)- I'm not negating all of their humor etc, but seriously, this does not sound like a good situation for adoption or purchase.

Head and neck petting only-- no petting, stroking etc-- they will let you and they will WANT you to do it, but for their sake, you cannot.

Last thing, just because you have experience with parrots doesn't mean this parrot would like you in adulthood-- again, age 5-8, they push away etc...Just because you buy a bird as a baby, doesn't mean it will like you are all of the people in your home (as a baby and/or at maturity). So, if it doesn't work out with her, you can't be sure that you are a suitable fallback plan.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, just to add a few points:
- Large Parrots are expensive to have around as they commonly like to chew (and should), but tend to turn expensive toys in to tiny bits in minutes. They can and do the same with furniture and other things
- Parrot medical care is expensive, well better said, very expensive, on par with Human medical care, but available Avian Medical Professionals are not anywhere as common.
- At forty years old, getting a young Parrot with a life time that can easily stretch past 70+ years, the question becomes, who is going to take care of this middle aged Parrot when your mother passes-on.
- Humans have 'wants' which commonly results is choices that exceeds their abilities. What this turns into is that you will be caring for this Parrot for the majority, if not all of your life. Are you ready to undertake the responsibility?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Parrots in general are very expensive long-term, not just up-front. Getting a bird and the cage is one small part of the total cost. The bigger the parrot, the higher the cost, but none are cheap long-term.They need to visit an avian certified vet at least 1x yearly (with blood work early on and then every 3 years after). In general, something goes wrong (be it a bacterial infection, blood feather, virus etc) and so I would make sure that at any given time, you can drop $500 on a vet bill, because between the wellness exam and other visits, you are looking at around $300-$500 a year just at the vet (barring any major emergencies). This could easily jump into the "thousands" range in the event of an accident or serious illness.

Their food, toys, perches, play-gyms etc also all cost money (toys need to be stainless and the need safe wood toys to destroy-- the plastic cheap ones are not enough, and mirrors and hammocks/huts should be avoided). The toys need to replaced often and having play-stands/gyms in other areas of your home is also important.

If you get a powder-down bird (gray, too', cockatiel) you will also want solid, true hepa air purifiers (non-ionizing, non-ozone producing/non sanitizing) due to their feather dust--A u2s dust is SERIOUS. Replacement filters cost money too.

The cage for a cockatoo will run around 500-$1000. For a cockatiel, the cage would be $100-$300. Bigger toys and perches cost more...Make sure you replace any dowel perches with irregularly-shaped manzanita, dragonwood or custom perches (parrotWizard.com) because the smooth/dowel ones lead to bumblefoot.

She will also need to probably throw out or replace a large part of her kitchen because teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs used in many non-stick pans, but also in appliances etc can off-gas when heated and kill parrots even if the bird is on another floor of the house with the door shut. Things she may need to replace: pots, pans, dip trays, griddle, irons, ironing boards, poachers, popcorn poppers, air fryers, toasters, electric skillets, cookie sheets, muffin tins, toasters, toaster ovens, self-cleaning ovens, hair dryers, curling irons, straighteners, space heaters, heat lamps, utility lamp reflectors, some light bulbs, panini makers, George Foreman Grills etc .

Then there will be necessary changes to her cleaning routine and lifestyle: she won't be able to use standard cleaners without harming the birds sensitive respiratory system, and candles, air fresheners, oil warmers, plug-ins, essentials oils, diffusers etc will all have to be given away...So factor in the cost of replacing appliances/utensils and then replacing all current cleaners with bird-safe ones...She won't be able to paint her nails in the house, use glues, spray aerosols, perfumes etc.

Bottom line: They are expensive (more than a dog or cat) and they live longer...If she has any trouble with mobility, a bird will also likely be problematic, due to the amount of bending, reaching and general movement you have to do if you have one. Cleaning alone turns you into a question-mark some days. If she has any breathing issues, avoid powder-down birds altogether.

Once you determine whether this is a possibility financially-

A cockatiel is a close relative of the cockatoo-so close, they can actually reproduce-- and while they live a long time, they don't live AS LONG (more like 20--known people with a tiels in their 30s though).
A cockatiel is still just as smart etc, but they are not nearly as crazy as U2s and their bites are not nearly as damaging (although they still need to chew on wood etc). They are more "chill" (although don't expect a couch potato) are they are smaller, so their cages and accessories also cost less (although, again, still not cheap).

A cockatiel will still need a bedtime/routine, you will still have to make it chop and spend a few hours with it each day (just not as many as with a U2), not use teflon/fumes etc. If you do get a smaller parrot, make sure you get a cage that is plenty big but has appropriate bar-spacing. For a cockatiel, flight cages are generally a good option...
It's still going to need the yearly vet etc as well.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts