ISO Eclectus Parrot

vokatsu

May 14, 2021
Eastern Washington State, USA
Parrots
Budgerigars - William, Phillip, Cody, and Jimbo |Quaker - Voca| RIP Daxel - Jenday Conure | RIP Hawk - Cockatiel
Hello, I am wanting to welcome an eclectus parrot into my home. I am open to purchasing a baby or working with someone that may want to rehome their parrot. I have owned several medium and small parrots in the past and currently. I would be happy to chat more with anyone that has a parrot for sale/rehome.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hello, I am wanting to welcome an eclectus parrot into my home. I am open to purchasing a baby or working with someone that may want to rehome their parrot. I have owned several medium and small parrots in the past and currently. I would be happy to chat more with anyone that has a parrot for sale/rehome.

Welcome!
If I may ask, what happened to your old parrots? You say "owned"
Of the parrots you do own, which species do you have currently, and which species do you no longer have?
What are the species of your current birds, and how long have they been in your home? Ages and genders would also make a difference.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
just remember to get a fully weaned parrots. We have so many unethical breeders selling babies. Then people join here for help and most of the babies die.

Diet is hugely important with Eclectus parrots. So do plenty if research and our Eclectus people will offer info to..

OP
vokatsu

vokatsu

May 14, 2021
Parrots
Budgerigars - William, Phillip, Cody, and Jimbo |Quaker - Voca| RIP Daxel - Jenday Conure | RIP Hawk - Cockatiel

Welcome!
Of the parrots you do own, which species do you have currently, and which species do you no longer have?
What are the species of your current birds, and how long have they been in your home? Ages and genders would also make a difference.

Hi noodles123, thanks for your warm welcome :)
I had a Jenday Conure, Daxel. I moved to WA in 2019 from Hawaii, and I got Daxel from a pet store in Hawaii in 2017. I am a big animal lover, I have not only parrots but also reptiles, fish, a dog, and have had rodents. I say "have had", because I had welcomed two rats into my home around late 2019/early 2020. One of the rats got out of its cage in the middle of the night and got into Daxel's cage, where Daxel was killed. The rat was in her cage in the morning so nothing was suspected until I checked on Daxel and found his body with some rat dropping around. I also had a cockatiel, Hawk, for about 1.5 years (about mid 2019 - early 2021). Hawk passed away suddenly as he was found dead on the bottom of his cage an hour after a household member had laid eyes on him. He showed no signs of illness or uncomfort, had happily perched on said household member's finger that hour prior, but we did find a large lump of pellet in his mouth. We suspect that he choked, but we did not elect to do a necropsy on him so we are not 100% sure. Prior to Daxel and Hawk, I had a lovebird named Birbie (while I was in HI). When I moved off island, I gave Birbie to my mother so Birbie is no longer part of my household now. I feel a little embarrassed only listing a handful of parrots and a handful of years with them, as compared to some of the decades of experiences some members of this community has. I am in my early 20s so I have not lived long enough to accumulate decades yet, but I'm on my way! 😁

Now - I have a 2 year old Quaker named Voca, he is DNA'd male. Voca has been with us for about a year, and he was born March 2020. I have 4 Budgerigars named William, Phillip, Cody, and Jimbo. They were rehomed to me and I have not DNA'd them. The previous owner do not know how old they are, they had purchased the boys from Petco.

Thanks Laurasea for your reminder. I am not interested nor will I work with anyone that has a "baby baby" (my term for unweaned birds, lol) for sale. I do not have the experience to care for a parrot that are not weaned, and I believe parrots/birds/animals of that age should be with their parents. Right now all my parrots enjoy a diet of pellets and daily fresh fruits and veggies, I do my best to incorporate at least two fruits and three veggie varieties daily for them. It is helpful to have other animals in the house as some of my other guys also eat fresh, so it helps my fridge stay stocked up :) I will be sure to do my research on diet and specific care prior to welcoming any new animals into my home.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Jc aviary in Texas is a highly reputable breeder for various species, including eclectus. They are one of the previous few who breed blue eclectus (as pretty as they are pricey). They also ship birds once they are weaned and ready for their new home.

You might also reach out to laurella desborough at Eclectus Parrot Centre, who is well conncected in the eclectus world and can point you to other reputable breeders.

Mind you, don’t place any emphasis or importance on the subspecies. In the US, breeders have unfortunately paid little attention to maintaining pure subspecies bloodlines, and half the time can’t even distinguish the subspecies themselves (especially the males), so ekkies of mixed subspecies is the norm. My boy is almost certainly a mix himself, and is largely a very good boy (not without his naughty bits as parrots are want to have). The differences amongst the subspecies I believe are a bit overstated also, frankly.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

Welcome!

Hi noodles123, thanks for your warm welcome :)
I had a Jenday Conure, Daxel. I moved to WA in 2019 from Hawaii, and I got Daxel from a pet store in Hawaii in 2017. I am a big animal lover, I have not only parrots but also reptiles, fish, a dog, and have had rodents. I say "have had", because I had welcomed two rats into my home around late 2019/early 2020. One of the rats got out of its cage in the middle of the night and got into Daxel's cage, where Daxel was killed. The rat was in her cage in the morning so nothing was suspected until I checked on Daxel and found his body with some rat dropping around. I also had a cockatiel, Hawk, for about 1.5 years (about mid 2019 - early 2021). Hawk passed away suddenly as he was found dead on the bottom of his cage an hour after a household member had laid eyes on him. He showed no signs of illness or uncomfort, had happily perched on said household member's finger that hour prior, but we did find a large lump of pellet in his mouth. We suspect that he choked, but we did not elect to do a necropsy on him so we are not 100% sure. Prior to Daxel and Hawk, I had a lovebird named Birbie (while I was in HI). When I moved off island, I gave Birbie to my mother so Birbie is no longer part of my household now. I feel a little embarrassed only listing a handful of parrots and a handful of years with them, as compared to some of the decades of experiences some members of this community has. I am in my early 20s so I have not lived long enough to accumulate decades yet, but I'm on my way! ��

Now - I have a 2 year old Quaker named Voca, he is DNA'd male. Voca has been with us for about a year, and he was born March 2020. I have 4 Budgerigars named William, Phillip, Cody, and Jimbo. They were rehomed to me and I have not DNA'd them. The previous owner do not know how old they are, they had purchased the boys from Petco.

Thanks Laurasea for your reminder. I am not interested nor will I work with anyone that has a "baby baby" (my term for unweaned birds, lol) for sale. I do not have the experience to care for a parrot that are not weaned, and I believe parrots/birds/animals of that age should be with their parents. Right now all my parrots enjoy a diet of pellets and daily fresh fruits and veggies, I do my best to incorporate at least two fruits and three veggie varieties daily for them. It is helpful to have other animals in the house as some of my other guys also eat fresh, so it helps my fridge stay stocked up :) I will be sure to do my research on diet and specific care prior to welcoming any new animals into my home.

Thank you- that must have been truly awful!! I am so sorry...

I am so glad you replied and I am glad you are here. This is a really great and knowledgeable community of people who love parrots dearly!! You have come to the right place.

Do you still have other animals (rats etc) and do you use teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs in your heated products (pots, pans, irons, waffle irons, air fryers, curling irons, blow dryer, space heaters etc?)

Fumes from these can kill on separate floors etc. I always worry because so many people don't know how deadly these fumes can be (even if they didn't kill with use in the past). Same with standard cleaners, smoke, burned food, incense, candles, air fresheners etc (while not as deadly as non-stick/teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs, all can cause immediate and lasting respiratory damage-- which is one of the things that concerns me about your tragic sudden death. It could have also been other things, but a necroscopy would tell you for sure. Was a necroscopy performed? I am not blaming you if you didn't, but it's super important for future reference in a lot of cases (as tragic as it is). In many cases, some birds survive and others don't (same is true with disease, in which some can be carriers for life but never show signs).

If you get an ecclectus, be sure to quarantine for a bare minimum (separate rooms, as far apart as you can get) for a bare minimum of 45 days (CAV said 3 months) and be very aware of that species VERY unique dietary requirements. We have many members who will chime in on ownership and care requirements, but again, thanks for sharing (couldn't have been easy).

The info on your current species will definitely help in terms of those who may wish to re-home!

Last edited:
OP
vokatsu

vokatsu

May 14, 2021
Parrots
Hi noodles123, thank you! It was a very terrible experience, but it has taught me and my household a lot. Within 2 days of that incident we rehomed the rats. Hawk was still with us and even though we could have taken the proper procedures to ensure that the rats did not get out of the enclosures again, the emotional aspect of losing Daxel (whom we had much longer than the rats) did not allow us to keep the rats.

We did not elect to perform a necropsy on Hawk, unfortunately. Thank you for approaching this with a non judgemental attitude, I know I could have handled Daxel and Hawk's passing better both preventatively and reactively. I do not use any teflon products, we cook primarily with an instant pot and cast iron cookware. Anytime I must fill the house with fumes or a smell (not stuff like fumigation which is obvious to remove all living things, but stuff like self cleaning the oven or deep cleaning the carpet), I will move all my animals at least outside, but ideally a different property like a friend's house.

OP
vokatsu

vokatsu

May 14, 2021
Parrots
Jc aviary in Texas is a highly reputable breeder for various species, including eclectus. They are one of the previous few who breed blue eclectus (as pretty as they are pricey). They also ship birds once they are weaned and ready for their new home.

You might also reach out to laurella desborough at Eclectus Parrot Centre, who is well connected in the eclectus world and can point you to other reputable breeders.

Mind you, don’t place any emphasis or importance on the subspecies. In the US, breeders have unfortunately paid little attention to maintaining pure subspecies bloodlines, and half the time can’t even distinguish the subspecies themselves (especially the males), so ekkies of mixed subspecies is the norm. My boy is almost certainly a mix himself, and is largely a very good boy (not without his naughty bits as parrots are want to have). The differences amongst the subspecies I believe are a bit overstated also, frankly.

Hi chris-md, thanks for the resources! I had sent a message to Laurella earlier today before seeing your post, I'm happy to see that she is a respected and reputable member of the eclectus world :) I will give JC Aviary a call next week - I have put myself on their waitlist via their website.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Lol! She is respected, though I have my opinions…that’s all I’ll say:)

OP
vokatsu

vokatsu

May 14, 2021
Parrots
Lol! She is respected, though I have my opinions…that’s all I’ll say:)

Oh my! Well, if you recommended her to me and given her reputation in the community, I rest easy knowing she is doing good things and caring for her birds well. For pet breeders/experts, I live by "I don't care if you treat me poorly, just don't treat the animals so." I guess this is applicable to any service/goods field, hmm. If they do treat me poorly, I just don't become a repeat customer lol :p I don't mean this about Laurella - just a thought that popped into my head after reading your post.

Most Reactions