ISO older (or younger) Indian Ringneck in Florida!

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
Hey!
We are looking to adopt an Indian Ringneck, no matter the age. A few things do matter, such as other-pet friendliness and health issues, but that will only apply in the scenario that it may appear.

We want to make sure that we are the right home for your baby, and let me know if you have one for adoption! (NO, I am not buying your bird, nor paying a rehoming fee over $300!)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hey!
We are looking to adopt an Indian Ringneck, no matter the age. A few things do matter, such as other-pet friendliness and health issues, but that will only apply in the scenario that it may appear.

We want to make sure that we are the right home for your baby, and let me know if you have one for adoption! (NO, I am not buying your bird, nor paying a rehoming fee over $300!)
I'd be concerned about you getting a ringneck if you don't even have enough to buy toys. Any bird is expensive, and IMO it's very irresponsible to buy another bird if you do not have the money. And if you do have $300, I would be using it for your existing birds, or some other pet you already have that needs new things or additional things (though some should be used for your birds if at all possible). If it's something your parents want, I'd be concerned they wouldn't buy toys for it (like with your birds). Not saying this would happen, but it's a legitimate concern.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
It’s really sweet of you to want to provide a home for a bird in need. However, you’ve expressed financial issues before, and additionally were/are planning on breeding your budgies, which can be a very costly endeavor if you have an emergency and need to get a vet involved.

As someone who has definitely gotten too many pets to handle and then had to deal with the stress and vet bills (and stress), unless of course your financial situation has changed significantly - I would gently ask that you reconsider. If I recall correctly you’ve also mentioned being a student, and that is a lot to handle already!

Additionally I will add that $300 rehoming fee is extremely low. It’s less than the cost of a cage in many cases, and certainly less than a CAV appointment to establish the health of your new bird so that you can be sure it’s not bringing diseases to the other birds in your home.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
As someone who has definitely gotten too many pets to handle and then had to deal with the stress and vet bills (and stress), unless of course your financial situation has changed significantly - I would gently ask that you reconsider.
I second this 100%! I currently have too many pets, or too much of a pet to handle. That would be my Red Eared Slider. My dad got her, neglected her, and then gave her to me. Now she needs a 120 gallon tank. Those things are huge, and the only place we can fit one is in my room, plus I have to buy it! And tank + filter = very expensive. And she can't be rehomed responsibly because no one wants a foot-long turtle. So I am spending my life savings to get her the upgrade she needs and deserves.

The point I'm trying to make is: it's extremely stressful to have more animal than you can handle, especially if you're also a student. I worry about July every day. Please don't put yourself in a situation where you don't have enough money for "further care" (meaning toys, upgrades, vet bills, nutritious foods, etc.) for your birds. It is a horrible feeling, knowing they need something but being unable to give it to them due to lack of money.

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
I understand you guys! The parakeets are my personal birds, therefore ONLY i care for them. My parents and rest of the family want a ringneck, therefore gets funded out of 2 retired peoples money. If you have further questions, Im happy to answer.

Backstory for stormy
My mother told me "ABSOLUTELY NOT" to getting a bird, so then I went to my backyard and caught one. Well she said the agreement was that I (minor) pay for everything about the parakeets and if there was a medical emergency, food emergency (anything to keep them ALIVE, not happy but alive) she would pay for, but I would owe her.

She likes birds now, and wants one that is more tame/not so scared of everything. Everyone else went along with the idea, but we could only adopt. The Ringneck would not be provided entertainment, food ect off my (minor) savings account. And to add, I get a job this summer!

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
I second this 100%! I currently have too many pets, or too much of a pet to handle. That would be my Red Eared Slider. My dad got her, neglected her, and then gave her to me. Now she needs a 120 gallon tank. Those things are huge, and the only place we can fit one is in my room, plus I have to buy it! And tank + filter = very expensive. And she can't be rehomed responsibly because no one wants a foot-long turtle. So I am spending my life savings to get her the upgrade she needs and deserves.

The point I'm trying to make is: it's extremely stressful to have more animal than you can handle, especially if you're also a student. I worry about July every day. Please don't put yourself in a situation where you don't have enough money for "further care" (meaning toys, upgrades, vet bills, nutritious foods, etc.) for your birds. It is a horrible feeling, knowing they need something but being unable to give it to them due to lack of money.
isn't it illegal to own a red-eared slider after a certain size..

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
isn't it illegal to own a red-eared slider after a certain size..
Nah, the law is actually about selling the itty baby ones. It was made illegal to sell viable eggs or young under four inches because they’re a huge salmonella risk.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
As far as the salmonella thing goes, we had friends with turtles as kids, and I think we had one for a while as well. Wash your hands and don’t lick them. πŸ˜…

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I also had turtles when I was little. Those poor little turtles went through so much back then. Remember the little containers they sold for them that had a palm tree in it?

williampatte

Nov 30, 2022
Hey!

It is impossible anymore to adopt any Parrot.The Parrot Breeders do not allow visitations as they operate from their home and do not allow visitation.They all want money down with no possible way to see the bird that one is adopting.Buying from a private owner,you do not know if it is a scam or not that they actually have a bird with some copying pictures from other sites of birds.This is true with some classifieds and Craigslist.DONT TRY RESCUES EITHER AS THEY DO NOT ADOPT OUT TO PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN APTS.ALSO I ACCUSE MOST WITH AGE DISCRIMINATION.My latest issue is with a breeder from a flea market.I have asked her how soon she will have baby Indian Ringnecks and she says soon all the time,this has been going on for several weeks.I asked her how one sees the parrot to adopt and she says she would send out pictures.She has too small a booth to bring the babies.AGAIN,HOW DO I KNOW IF I WILL HAVE A GOOD FIT WITHOUT SEEING WHAT I AM ADOPTING?????All have a non-refundable deposit and no refunds after a parrot has been purchased.So if the parrot you adopt is not a good fit,you lose the deposit and all the money you put into the bird.I do not know how to adopt any parrot anymore because of the reasons I have given.My local pet store is ridiculous with their pricing.$700-900 just for a cage suitable for Ringnecks.Pricing for Ringnecks when they have them is around $2000.That is the lowest price.Other pet stores I have seen are too far away for me to travel. Out of state of Florida shipping by air.Again not knowing what you are getting.Craigslist I have tried,and most are either too far away or will not accept paypal.Paypal will not charge fees if you mark purchase from a friend or relative which I have tried to explain to everyone.All that is needed to open an account is just an email and password.Paypal links up to any bank account.IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO PURCHASE OR ADOPT A PARROT FROM ANYWHERE ANYMORE UNLESS YOU PUT MONEY DOWN SIGHT UNSEEN. williampatte.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I understand you guys! The parakeets are my personal birds, therefore ONLY i care for them. My parents and rest of the family want a ringneck, therefore gets funded out of 2 retired peoples money. If you have further questions, Im happy to answer.

Backstory for stormy
My mother told me "ABSOLUTELY NOT" to getting a bird, so then I went to my backyard and caught one. Well she said the agreement was that I (minor) pay for everything about the parakeets and if there was a medical emergency, food emergency (anything to keep them ALIVE, not happy but alive) she would pay for, but I would owe her.

She likes birds now, and wants one that is more tame/not so scared of everything. Everyone else went along with the idea, but we could only adopt. The Ringneck would not be provided entertainment, food ect off my (minor) savings account. And to add, I get a job this summer!
Have your parents ever had a bird before? Do they realize that most parrots are scared of new places and people and can be very nippy or outright bite? I suspect that any IRN (a very desirable bird) that someone wants to rehome to a stranger for a nominal fee will come with significant "baggage" that most inexperienced bird owners with high expectations can't handle. End result: a miserable bird and disappointed people trying to regime the poor bird AGAIN!
That said, if your parents really want a friendly, easy to tame, inexpensive bird I recommend a newly and completely weaned 7-8 week old hand fed baby Cockatiel or Budgie sourced from a reputable local breeder. There are many breeders in Florida.
Regarding expensive bird toys, my budgies love toys but they consider any innocuous small household objects "toys", like pen caps, q-tips, balled up paper, paper bags, plastic bottle caps, balls of yarn, tennis balls, coins, prescription medicine containers, Cheerios, small stuffed animals, carrot and celery sticks, broccoli stalks, marbles, etc. Anything clean and safe relative to a birds size and strength can make a great bird toy. A large zip tie zipped into a 6-8 inch loop hanging into the cage from the top makes FANTASTIC swing and several smaller loops interlooped together in a chain make terrific climbing toys.

williampatte

Nov 30, 2022
Have your parents ever had a bird before? Do they realize that most parrots are scared of new places and people and can be very nippy or outright bite? I suspect that any IRN (a very desirable bird) that someone wants to rehome to a stranger for a nominal fee will come with significant "baggage" that most inexperienced bird owners with high expectations can't handle. End result: a miserable bird and disappointed people trying to regime the poor bird AGAIN!
That said, if your parents really want a friendly, easy to tame, inexpensive bird I recommend a newly and completely weaned 7-8 week old hand fed baby Cockatiel or Budgie sourced from a reputable local breeder. There are many breeders in Florida.
Regarding expensive bird toys, my budgies love toys but they consider any innocuous small household objects "toys", like pen caps, q-tips, balled up paper, paper bags, plastic bottle caps, balls of yarn, tennis balls, coins, prescription medicine containers, Cheerios, small stuffed animals, carrot and celery sticks, broccoli stalks, marbles, etc. Anything clean and safe relative to a birds size and strength can make a great bird toy. A large zip tie zipped into a 6-8 inch loop hanging into the cage from the top makes FANTASTIC swing and several smaller loops interlooped together in a chain make terrific climbing toys.
Any breeders will not allow visitation as they operate from their home.All of them want people to adopt from them without seeing a bird in person.They only send pictures and expect prospective people to put down money without actually seeing a parrot in person.Non-refundable if a bad fit.I have no idea how anybody adopts a parrot the way breeders are and also pet stores with parrots.Buying from a private individual to rehome a bird,is taking a risk of a scam.As I said many times PARROT RESCUES ARE ALSO IMPOSSIBLE ONLY DISCRIMINATING AGAINST PEOPLE LIVING IN APTS AND AGE DISCRINATION.If anybody here knows or has a suggestion on how to adopt parrots, I would love to hear from you.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Any breeders will not allow visitation as they operate from their home.All of them want people to adopt from them without seeing a bird in person.They only send pictures and expect prospective people to put down money without actually seeing a parrot in person.Non-refundable if a bad fit.I have no idea how anybody adopts a parrot the way breeders are and also pet stores with parrots.Buying from a private individual to rehome a bird,is taking a risk of a scam.As I said many times PARROT RESCUES ARE ALSO IMPOSSIBLE ONLY DISCRIMINATING AGAINST PEOPLE LIVING IN APTS AND AGE DISCRINATION.If anybody here knows or has a suggestion on how to adopt parrots, I would love to hear from you.
In their defense, parrot rescues have a huge interest in the bird's future stability. They want the bird to go to a forever home. They get a lot of birds from apartment dwellers with landlords who will evict them if they don't get rid of their noisy parrot. Blame the landlord if you want but birds can be very noisy and their other tenants have the right to live in peace and quiet. Rescues also get a lot of parrots when their elderly owners die and no family members will take them. They DON'T want the bird to be homeless again in 10 or 20 years. At 60 years old, I won't adopt a bird that has a potential to live more than 20 more years because my chances of living much past 80 AND being able to take care of a bird are not great. Adopting a young parrot with a 30 year lifespan would be selfish of me. Remember that there are good reasons why nature determined that most women can't have babies past about 50- children need their mothers for at least 15 years and the mortality rate for humans starts to rise quickly past 60. I don't think adoption agencies would place a newborn baby with a couple in their 60s for this very reason.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I adopted a newly weaned Goffin cockatoo from a breeder at a bird expo in Pomona, California. I got to meet my new baby right there and purchase everything I needed right there from other vendors. Many breeders attend these expos and bring all sorts of adoptable birds to meet and greet. It was a great experience.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I know a local small scale budgie breeder here in Maine that hand raises and allows you to meet the babies before you adopt.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I know a local small scale budgie breeder here in Maine that hand raises and allows you to meet the babies before you adopt.
Florida has exotic bird expos too. Just google exotic bird expos or bird mart and get the locations and dates. Take a road trip and come home with a baby of your choice.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Breeders not allowing visitors seems pretty reasonable to me. Bio security is an important thing, people can track in all kinds of nasties on their clothes, hair, and shoes.
And buying sight unseen is a personal thing I think. If you know how to watch out for scams, you can do it. I am currently buying a baby sight unseen, I am fully confident in it because the breeder was recommended to me by someone I trust (they got their bird from them). Nothing about this process has raised alarms for me, I haven't even been asked to pay for my baby till transport has been booked and pay for (through the transport company, not the breeder).

Most Reactions

Latest posts