Issues With My Budgie and Cockatiel

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I've had my cockatiel, Dea, for almost a year. Because of my 8 to 9 hour shifts, I decided to get an English Budgie, Kujo, 3 months ago to keep my cockatiel company while I was at work. Kujo loves Dea and follows her everywhere, but Dea hates him and runs away. This is where I'm having issues. When Kujo gives up chasing her, he flock calls. He can do it for a while, and I mean hours. He'll even flock call himself to sleep, and continue flock calling as he naps. He doesn't mind going on my shoulder or clicker training with me, but he doesn't have the patience for me; after a few minutes of sitting with me, he'll fly away to chase Dea again. Because he keeps chasing Dea, she is beginning to act up a lot more, and wants to be away from him. Unfortunately, I live with family, so they're stuck in my room; I cannot provide a separate space for them, nor can I get another budgie to meet Kujo's needs. Dea is bonded to me, and acts up also when I leave my room. She flock calls and goes to places she knows she shouldn't be (they live in separate cages).

It's taking a toll on me; I have to provide for 2 separate birds, and I have to start working more days in a few weeks. I don't know what to do. I also keep having anxious thoughts that I am not providing good care for my birds. That I'm not enough. I feel like they're bored in my room, and I wish I could provide them with more.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Are these birds loose in your room together? It sounds like Dea needs some space from the annoying little budgie. I would think about maybe having them caged in separate cages when you are away.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
That sounds rough for everyone! What are their ages? Is it possible Kujo is going through puberty, hence their heightened interest in Dea? Separate cages is a great place to start. Have you tried playing videos of budgies for Kujo? Maybe if he can hear & see other birds he’ll be distracted from harassing his roommate! Other high reward solo activities (foraging activities, a favorite type of toy, etc) might help too. Sorry to hear you’re dealing with this!

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Are these birds loose in your room together? It sounds like Dea needs some space from the annoying little budgie. I would think about maybe having them caged in separate cages when you are away.
I give her space by allowing her to come with me when I leave the room or putting her in the cage. I would be Kujo in his cage, but I would have to chase him for a while (he's smart and knows what's up). Dea surprsingly doesn't mind, and just watches Kujo try to get inside the cage and follows her outside the cage.

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
That sounds rough for everyone! What are their ages? Is it possible Kujo is going through puberty, hence their heightened interest in Dea? Separate cages is a great place to start. Have you tried playing videos of budgies for Kujo? Maybe if he can hear & see other birds he’ll be distracted from harassing his roommate! Other high reward solo activities (foraging activities, a favorite type of toy, etc) might help too. Sorry to hear you’re dealing with this!
Dea is a year old, and Kujo is 6 months. He's been like this since he was 3 months. They have separate cages; I could never trust them in the same cage. I have foraging items, but Dea doesn't like to forage or play with toys (yes, I've tried everything, she is just lazy), and Kujo will occasionally forage and play with toys. He is more interested in Dea, however.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
We had the same experience with Kiwi. He would fly across the house to get to the lutinos and then start nipping at them, getting in their face, and being a bully. We did not get a chance to see if that behavior would change over a long period of time, or longer than a year anyway.

Most Reactions