Italian night, or better stated, do you give your bird spaghetti?

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot
Here is junior overly excited about one of his favorite treats... Cooked spaghetti. Do you make your bird any and what does he/she think of it?

Attachments

• 20221223_180326[1].jpg
    20221223_180326[1].jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 43

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Lucy liked spaghetti but would alternate between enjoying the noodles or licking the sauce off and flinging the bare noodle. Kinda messy.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
All my big birds enjoy pasta.
3 amazons and my Grey.
My Cockatiels are less enthusiastic about it.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
jello loves uncooked pasta noodles! when theyre cooked he just shreds them into a million pieces

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Much like most processed people foods, pasta is definitely not something parrots encounter in the wild, to say the least. Therefore you want to give them pasta that has the least number of ingredients and NO salt or other additives or enrichments or preservatives.

Now, cooked or uncooked - in the cooked state, what ever they can digest is going to be easier to digest. IN the uncooked state it is going to be harder for them to absorb nutrients. Personally we only give Salty cooked pasta and even then it is only occasionally ( like 1-2X a month) and not much when we do, maybe one elbow macaroni amount, or similar.

He eats dinner with us, his hot meal of the day. We defrost and cook his chop for each meal, zapping it for 45 seconds or so in the microwave , so that any foods in it that are better for him when cooked, like carrots, are done. When I am done eating, I walk past his wet food feeding station and if there are any foods left on my plate that he can eat, I offer it to him, just a small amount - 1/4 or less of a teaspoon. That is when he might get some pasta, or chicken or a bean or other. Lots of times there is nothing!

Most Reactions

Latest posts