Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
354935DC-D078-4066-82ED-592FD502394B.jpeg

The DNA results are finally back and it’s a GIRL! We are so excited!! She’s about 5 weeks old now and her name is Ona (Oh-na, it’s Hawaiian). 🎉

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Congratulations on your gorgeous girlie! 🌸 I've got a soft spot for little hens, even though I have 3 roosters now. And i LOVE her name too, such a beautiful choice ❤️ I'm very excited for you too!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Im just excited to see more updates!
And so glad they are waiting till fully weaned and eating on their own! And how wonderful the visits with little one are

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
What a lovely girl! Is she a certain mutation of greencheek conure, like fallow?
She is a dilute!

Latest Ona photo 😍 she is quickly becoming a momma’s girl and I love it. She’s very comfortable with me and loves to nuzzle my fingers when I pet her:D

19D3A538-FB12-4219-AA49-BFB3F40F4F0F.jpeg

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Wait till the wing feathers come out and you see the blue contrast with the red tail.....

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Time for an Ona update!! She is finally interested in treats! She loves dehydrated papaya, corn, and pea treats and some seeds.

She gets jealous when I talk to other birds in the store and starts insistently nuzzling me 😂

She’s starting to eat some pellets so we are making progress toward weaning! This week she is 7 weeks old.

CB573678-8E8D-46FC-8272-1EA23347D5F5.jpeg

068569C9-354E-4C91-B1D5-4AC8069B65F3.jpeg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
That is one adorable baby, and she just gets prettier every time i see her! :love:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
From the latest pic yep it is a mix of some sort, not a traditional cinnamon or pineapple. It's actually a very good melding, might be a bit of turquoise in there. Very beautiful. Definitely good mix... I mean the beak and feet are regular/standard black capped conure, the coloring is kind of cinnamon or maybe more pineapple, but the color of the head looks almost turquoise...or will be. I'm pretty confident the flight feathers will be blue. Definitely not some parrot from a parrot mill.

Your bird should be very hardy and will bond with you like none other I've found with GCCs.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
From the latest pic yep it is a mix of some sort, not a traditional cinnamon or pineapple. It's actually a very good melding, might be a bit of turquoise in there. Very beautiful. Definitely good mix... I mean the beak and feet are regular/standard black capped conure, the coloring is kind of cinnamon or maybe more pineapple, but the color of the head looks almost turquoise...or will be. I'm pretty confident the flight feathers will be blue. Definitely not some parrot from a parrot mill.

Your bird should be very hardy and will bond with you like none other I've found with GCCs.
Thanks! The breeder describes her as a “dilute”. I agree she is a very beautiful girl. You are correct, her flight feathers are blue with an almost rainbow like shine to them. She is clipped right now (breeder waited to clip until she was consistently sticking landings. I hope in the future to let them grow back out again.) Here is a pic from several weeks ago where you can see them:
3A4C3E05-FFC1-4517-9471-3E4534D261A5.jpeg

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
One thing I've learned is cameras can NOT capture the true color and effervescence a birds feathers have. The vibrancy.... I'm sure I'm missing at least 10% of the true color shown here. when I look at my bird and then a pic its like um... it's off.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thanks! The breeder describes her as a “dilute”. I agree she is a very beautiful girl. You are correct, her flight feathers are blue with an almost rainbow like shine to them. She is clipped right now (breeder waited to clip until she was consistently sticking landings. I hope in the future to let them grow back out again.) Here is a pic from several weeks ago where you can see them:
View attachment 41190
Parrot of the month!!

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I didn't get many photos but I just had the best Ona visit! I saw her preen for the first time today!! She was perched on my finger and I was scratching her cheeks which she REALLY loved when all of sudden she started trying to stand on one foot (which I've never seen her do). Then she reached around with her lifted foot, grabbed one of her red tail feathers and fanned out her tail a little to bring the feather to her beak and started chewing the end of it slightly, just for a moment. She quickly let go of her tail and put her foot down then started preening her back a little. Afterward she would start partially extending one wing out a time. I know preening is a sign of happiness and relaxation but I wonder what the tail thing was about? 🤔 She was obviously very happy for snuggles and cheek scritches just not sure if she was just experimenting with preening or what. The store does have a blue and goal macaw that constantly is "showing off" her tail so we were joking that she learned it from her :LOL:

IMG_3478.jpeg

Most Reactions