Its happening again

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Craigslist is filled with quakers being rehomed again......
Reasons LOUD, Screaming, can't keep in my apartment because of the noise......

It breaks my heart.
One they admit has been passed around, has a broken beak and they say mean and loud. Id really like to take that one on......I'm going to think on it....
they are caring for it, beak will heal, the post was humorous and outlined it just a difficult parrot more than they can manage .its just a terrible time in my life to add another and my resources are stretched..ugh!

Stormy , I thought quakers were the most rehomed but there are so many budgies as well.....

I guess I posting to keep in peoples minds. Quakers tend to screaming. Spending most of their day in a cage? Then going to be spending most of the day screaming.

Last edited:

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Oh no! I’m always looking on their to and see all of them in small cages and poorly taken care of. I saw one where it was two conures standing on top of a tiny, tiny cage it was so small I felt horrible but I can’t have another bird right now. I can let my one conure thrive right now but two would just be to much. I just hate seeing people post things like you said (to loud) maybe do your research before getting a bird they are a lifetime commitment. Not a grab and toss around like a stupid animal. Bird are so smart and should be treated as if they were people hey are like family. It breaks my heart!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its just an option for many people to find a home for there parrot. The smaller parrots rarely ever make it to a parrot rescue. There aren't that many parrot rescues around either.

It's after the Hollidays so their are lots of new parrot owners who now regretted getting one.

Noise is the biggest reason for most.
Then lack of understanding of how to build trust and make freinds. So they end up getting bites and a fearful bird.

I reached out to the people rehome the problem quaker...we will see

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

It breaks my heart.
One they admit has been passed around, has a broken beak and they say mean and loud. Id really like to take that one on......I'm going to think on it....
they are caring for it, beak will heal, the post was humorous and outlined it just a difficult parrot more than they can manage .its just a terrible time in my life to add another and my resources are stretched..ugh!

Stormy , I thought quakers were the most rehomed but there are so many budgies as well.....

I guess I posting to keep in peoples minds. Quakers tend to screaming. Spending most of their day in a cage? Then going to be spending most of the day screaming.
That's so horrible...
These are the things that make me lose faith in humanity unfortunately. I hope those beautiful birds all find a safe and stable home.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I dunno on the whole loud thing....mine is sweet. Maybe its a gender an loud thing, or mine has birds to play with? But I'm a beginner on quakers. Just never had that problem. I don't know never been an issue for me. But I'll take another quaker!!!! :D

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
If you provide for them like you do its not an issue, I think it helps having other burds too.

The 3 different petstores around me who carried them once, will never again because tgey all turned to screaming and drove staff crazy..

Its the ones that spend majority of time caged...they turn into screaming plucking...

Florida has a lot of quakers , so I've seen so many..ugh

I haven't heard from the people with the behavior challenge guy on his 3rd 4th home?...I hope he has found his for ever home...I'm trying not to contact the next sadest plucker... I would love to rescue more all! But its really not a good time for me...in the future hopefully I can save more.

I'm very sensitive to their plight. So if I can promote that information and have people aware I'm hoping to prevent.

We've had people join briefly about screaming quakers but I think k they end up rehomed instead of tackle the issue. Most recently the pregnant mom to be, who is going to make sn outdoor Aviary or put hers in a breeding program.

Maybe Clark you will feel upto taking in a screaming or plucking one. They certainly need a good home like yours

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
People in my area must be using facebook marketplace or NextDoor for bird listings, because my searches for cages and "bird" don't bring up actual birds, and I'm very grateful I don't see them all. Although I suppose there's still time for holiday presents to become less fun :( I'm also new to this so I'm probably just not seeing how many listings are really out there.

I do kinda get a general vibe that my local rescues deal with big parrots far more often than the little birdos and I'd guess there aren't less smaller parrots that need new homes....

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
if you want to share your state I will look quickly.

It could be more ways people rehome these days for sure . Nit everyone will share their issues, you might see needs more time than I have, is unhappy ect... needs work or used to be tame

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
um any quaker in MN I've looked but just not in season!

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
I hate craigslist half of them are scams and the others are pretty bad :(
I once looked on Craigslist for birds and emailed one guy about a parrot he was advertising. Never emailed me back.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo

It breaks my heart.

When I was on hoobly.com and petclassifieds.com looking for a cockatoo. The most common birds I found up for rehoming were budgies, cockatiels, and conures.
Everyone wants big birds because of the whole intelligence and live longer deal. Honestly I feel bad because I was the same way, I mean if I could, I'd take in a smaller bird or two if I could.
My girlfriend is a huge budgie person, I absolutely love her for that. She's actually here on the forum with me.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
Shame! Yes, Quakers = loud! For such an industrious bird, cage isolation is a nightmare!
For examples of the noise levels, just go visit cemeteries in Bridgeport, Connecticut! Their communities are amazing!
I honestly thought budgies were loud. I once had two adorable little budgies and they'd sound like smoke detectors when they started making noise πŸ˜…

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
Oh no! I’m always looking on their to and see all of them in small cages and poorly taken care of. I saw one where it was two conures standing on top of a tiny, tiny cage it was so small I felt horrible but I can’t have another bird right now. I can let my one conure thrive right now but two would just be to much. I just hate seeing people post things like you said (to loud) maybe do your research before getting a bird they are a lifetime commitment. Not a grab and toss around like a stupid animal. Bird are so smart and should be treated as if they were people hey are like family. It breaks my heart!
Well no pet deserves to be Grabbed and Tosses. They all deserve some sort of home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts