I’ve been sick and Willow is grouchy

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have been sick a lot lately and Willow has been grouchy in the last few days. Whatever bug I had came back and I was sleeping most of the weekend and today. Last night I tried to get Willow to come out, bringing him a treat a few times. He was really excited that I was near his cage but he wouldn’t come to the door and come out. I still gave him his treat and gave Jasper a treat. (Jasper wanted to come out and did come out for a bit.)

I feel badly that Willow is so affected by me being sick in bed for two days—that he would not come out. I have a cage in my bedroom but I don’t want Jasper to be alone in the living room with no bird pal, so I don’t often use it. I have been thinking of finding a home for Jasper and then bringing Willow along into whatever room I’m in. Maybe they would be happier then?

I have a lot of health issues and I love my birds. They usually get a few out times a day lasting as long as they desire. But I did not want to grab Willow to make him come out so he hasn’t been out in two or three days. He so loved to be out and to be held that it’s strange he gets so funny and protective of his cage.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I’m very sorry about everything, first of all ❤️
Give Willow some time and try a lot of treat bribes. Talk to him gently and encourage him to come out. If he’s target trained try that.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m very sorry about everything, first of all ❤️
Give Willow some time and try a lot of treat bribes. Talk to him gently and encourage him to come out. If he’s target trained try that.
I woke up at seven and gave Willow a treat but he did not want to come out. It’s still almost dark though so he is just not awake yet. I am going to try half of a cheerio as a treat later today.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I woke up at seven and gave Willow a treat but he did not want to come out. It’s still almost dark though so he is just not awake yet. I am going to try half of a cheerio as a treat later today.
I’m Still sick today (Tues). We had a morning snuggle time where willow acted very hand shy at first and by the end of the session 60-90 min he was beaking me if I stopped petting and wanted my hand draped over him.
It’s 2 am and tomorrow (well, around 8 am Wed, when it’s light) is a new day. It’s so cold outside right now. I went to check both birds and they appear comfortable though it seems a bit cold to me. Kisses from Willow and clicks from jasper though Willow did not want to come out for any snuggle.
I hate how I get sick so often and everything I do is interrupted. I’m sure the birds hate it too. Must be boring or confusing for them. I hope I’ll be ok Wednesday and able to spend time with birds.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow came out without a treat today. I was in the kitchen and he was scolding and trying to climb out the door for the food cups. I opened his door and he came out. I asked him to come here and step up and he did. Then we went into my room and I sat on the bed with him on his basket and scratched his head. He was scared of my hand at first but I slowed down and tried again.
He ended up staying out for an hour or so for head scratches and kisses. I put him back because I am still sick and was tired. Got some groceries and found that part of a dried craisin makes a treat that he likes.
Here is Willow preening my eyelashes.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I feel for you . I deal MG and some other stuff...
They do get grouchy. My sweet Penny will smack my face several times with beak or beak punch me if she feels she has been left in the cage to long. Then she is like thats settled you have learned your lesson , let's cuddle.

Wonderful to see him preening you. Hope you better

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I feel for you . I deal MG and some other stuff...
They do get grouchy. My sweet Penny will smack my face several times with beak or beak punch me if she feels she has been left in the cage to long. Then she is like thats settled you have learned your lesson , let's cuddle.

Wonderful to see him preening you. Hope you better
I have had lingering sinus ‘stuff’ and slept lots last weekend. I didn’t have the birds out at all yesterday. But I finally bought groceries which should make everyone happier.

Willow has been out three times today. The last time, he came out without a treat. But sometimes he comes out of his cage, steps up, and then gives me what seems like a ‘punishment bite’—not a tearing bite but a good solid nip that leaves a pinch mark to show me he’s displeased.

I hope the punishment bites will stop once Willow gets more used to stepping up for me from his door and me not forcing a step up. He’s also a little iffy about hands when he first comes out. My fingers get little punches or bops until he decides he’s ready to cuddle. But right now he’s pressed up soft against my right cheek just under my eye as I scratch and rub his neck and head. Willow is just the color of a cloudy sky🤓

Most Reactions