I've got a couple budgie questions I could use some advice on

Manda4387

Apr 7, 2017
I've never had a bird before, unless you count the couple hundred sparrows, blue jays, finches, and chickadees that I feed in my yard. But I have been thinking about getting one for a while. I ended up getting a little blue parakeet from petco. I looked into getting one from a breeder but there weren't any near where I live, and I didn't want to have one shipped, that would Terrify me if I was a bird. Anyways, I brought him home Monday afternoon; I got him a nice roomy cage with all kinds of toys and perches to keep him occupied. He's terrified of me which I expected and I'm working on getting some trust built between us. I've read so many things that say you just slowly try to get your hand near him without freaking out and build on that. However, while I was adding one of the toys to his cage he decided he wanted out of the cage. so out he flew and fluttered to the floor safely. His wings are clipped so he can't really fly well. I didn't want to chase him around the room and scare him even more so I just let him stay out for a while. He explored my room for a few hours and I put his cage on the floor so he could climb back in when he was ready. It took him a few hours but eventually climbed back in. I put his cage back up on my bureau and covered him for the night. When I uncovered him Tuesday morning he hid In the back of th cage when I put my hand at th entrance of the cage. I left it there for like 10 min and then i left him along across the room. I left his cage door open and after like 15 min he got brave and flew out of his cage to ththe floor again. He ran around for hours and even started chirping a bit. A few times I looked across the room and he was just standing there taking a nap but every time I even moved toward hi he started to run away so I didn't want to chase him. I sat on the floor and talked to him for hours and again I put him cage on the floor so he could go back in when he wanted. So after that long explanation...I guess my first question is...should I continue to let him roam free in my room or is that backtracking on the trust that I'm trying to build with him?

My next question is...how can I bridge the gap from the floor to his cage. I have him up on my bureau because I heard that birds like to be up high away from predators to feel safer. I also have a dog so a place where she can't reach the cage is better. They are never left together in the same room alone, and my big German shepherd is actually terrified of him, as soon as he chirps or flutters his wings she takes off down the stairs like a bat out of hell. The cage is 48 inches from the ground and I need something long enough so that h can climb back up to his cage without me having to pick it up and put it on th floor every day (cuz I keep spilling the water and shifting The bedding all around when I move it.) I've been looking around in stores and online but I haven't found anything long enough for what I need....so I was hoping som of you might have some ideas for me.

Thanks so much for any insights and suggestions you might have!!!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Sounds like you are making a great start! Also try BRIBES lol millet spray works great for this.

I wouldn't let him out until he is tame. I know it feels mean, but part of the reward for trust is freedom. There is also a safety issue if there were to be an emergency where you had to leave the house. You would then be forced to either chase and traumatized him, or leave him loose unattended (dangerous).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Manda4387

Apr 7, 2017
Okay so I made progress sort of.... After 25 min of sitting absolutely still with some millet in hand he FINALLY came close enough to eat it. I talked to him the whole time and I tried not to move a millimeter while he was eating it. We spent about 15 min sitting there together and then the doorbell rang so I had to go downstairs. Later on he was still refusing to get back in his cage so again I slowly worked my way towards him. He was snuggling up to our wireless router... He has a weird obsession with that... Maybe cuz it's warm (but it's not cold in my house!!). Took me 10 min to get close and he FINALLY STEPPED ON MY FINGER! gave him tons of praise and told him he was such a good boy. So then I made the mistake of trying to touch him... He was not feeling that at all. He flew away and wouldn't let me near him again. But he had to go back in his cage last night cuz I didn't have time to chase him around before with today. So after several failed attempts to herd him towards his cage and attempts to get close at all failed...I had to resort to toweling him and he HATED it. He screamed for like 10 min but I made sure I was very very very gentle and I kept telling him he was gonna be alright. So did I just ruin any progress I made?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Try not to have to towel your bird,, not until you are well past his nevrousness about you. Start from scratch again. When he is more bonded , then you can introduce a towel in your play time, so he wont so upset should you have to towel him at some point,, Salty actually enjoys being toweled a bit , after his shower.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
So he stepped up!!! That's fantastic progress!!!

Hold off on trying to pet him until stepping up is normal for him; it's a lot all at once.

The towel probably set you back quite a bit; that's why you really want to avoid letting him out until you can reliably touch him without him being terrified. You are trying to teach him that you are not scary and don't do scary things, but the towel is pretty scary.

But do t be discouraged! Just keep going, you are doing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
You mentioned bedding on the bottom of the cage, what is it that you have in there? Hopefully not ground walnut, Petco is good for selling that stuff, and it is dangerous!

Most Reactions

Latest posts