I've seen the damage Albie's beak can do....

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
And it wasn't a pretty sight.

A friend came over and he used to own a cockatoo,not sure what species. But you'd think he would know better than to offer his fingers to Albie.

Albie bit him hard and drew blood on both sides of his finger, Ive never seen him bite so viciously. I give me friend credit, he didn't even flinch! He was like huh little pest! Albie flew to me immediately and started stroking my face with his head kissing me. I put him away in his cage as I didn't want him biting again.

What should I have done in this situation? I don't want to reward nasty biting like that but also I don't want him to associate his cage with bad things either

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What i have done is training mine to step from me to a person and back to me for a treat. If the person is clued in I let them give a treat.

I just had my neighbor over helping me. When we were done I got the birds out and had each one step to from me to his hand so he could say hi. They do great with strangers because because we have worked on it, they trust me. But they would never step to them on their own. But I'm sure others have taken it that step farther?

In this exact situation, I think you did everything right.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
What i have done is training mine to step from me to a person and back to me for a treat. If the person is clued in I let them give a treat.

I just had my neighbor over helping me. When we were done I got the birds out and had each one step to from me to his hand so he could say hi. They do great with strangers because because we have worked on it, they trust me. But they would never step to them on their own. But I'm sure others have taken it that step farther?

In this exact situation, I think you did everything right.
Would doing step up on to guests work with him being 2 years old and a "lock down bird" with very little interactions with new people?

I'd be so worried about him biting like this again, but with a far worse reaction.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Ouch! I went over to a friend’s house to be introduced to her cockatiel so I could bird sit; he flew over to my shoulder and I thought we were cool (we were SO not cool!), foolishly reached up to pet him and got a similar bite! I knew better but he was so cute I didn’t stop to think. Oops!

I think you did the right thing. I was also not mad at her bird (although after that I understandably did not want him on my shoulder & near my face anymore!) She calmly removed him and used his “away” command so he’d fly to a perch. He was ok after that. I’ve bird sat for him twice now and he’s never bitten me like that again; but I have also been more respectful of his space and the fact that I’m a stranger.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Would doing step up on to guests work with him being 2 years old and a "lock down bird" with very little interactions with new people?

I'd be so worried about him biting like this again, but with a far worse reaction.
Yes, my burds came to me at all different ages and back grounds.

You have to be able to read your bird, your burd has to trust you.

Then when your bird is calm and the person has been at your house for awhile. ( 20 min? ) have your bird step from. You to them snd right back to Yiu and you praise and give treat. You also are right next to the person and Yiu sacrifice yourself your hand if they try and bite. But if they are calm and you just have them step fir a second then back to you. Then in a minute or two repeat. I only do twice at first. After you guys have had different chances to practice abd everything has gone well. Tgrn they can step from. Yiu yo guest get a treat and back to Yiu for a treat.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
the basic is for your bird to have full trust in you. So not to be done if you guys are still figuring it out.

But if they trust you , you can bridge that trust to others.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
the basic is for your bird to have full trust in you. So not to be done if you guys are still figuring it out.

But if they trust you , you can bridge that trust to others.
I like to think he has total trust in me. I mean... He hasn't bitten me in a good while, and I'm respectful of his bounderies (if he does t want to step up, I won't force him for example, I want him to want to do it) and I dont bug him or tease him. But it's something we certainly need to work on just to make sure we have a good foundation

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't force mine either, also always pay attention to body language. I mean they would /could/can/have bitten me. ;) we also avoid bites, by combo reading body language, trust, not pushing boundaries.

Id like to hear how you guys are doing

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I don't force mine either, also always pay attention to body language. I mean they would /could/can/have bitten me. ;) we also avoid bites, by combo reading body language, trust, not pushing boundaries.

Id like to hear how you guys are doing
We shall do an update once I've found some one brave enough!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
So I've read your suggestions to my hubby, Laurasea, and he suggested we use his mum (my mil) who has been looking after albie when we have been away. She's had him 3 times now and this time she was actually brave enough to to have him out every day (she still got bit though, he'd lull her in to a false sense of security, let her stroke his head for a second and then bite ) but she's having him for just over 2 weeks in October so it may help with handling him then.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh that's a great idea! I bet it will help Albie's confidence with her and her confidence with his body language, too. My relationship with my son's cockatiel improved dramatically after playing recall games with all of us together.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So I've read your suggestions to my hubby, Laurasea, and he suggested we use his mum (my mil) who has been looking after albie when we have been away. She's had him 3 times now and this time she was actually brave enough to to have him out every day (she still got bit though, he'd lull her in to a false sense of security, let her stroke his head for a second and then bite ) but she's having him for just over 2 weeks in October so it may help with handling him then.
Awesome! Now no petting! Just step up and back.

Mine choose who can pet them and thst takes more hang out time . While they will step from me to anyone I ask. Only a select few do they allow petting.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Practice with the 2 of you! Then he will already have the idea when you try with others. Only a few times in a row but you can do several times a day

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO if your friend, who supposedly knows parrots, was dumb enough to stick a finger out to Albie and didn't know or read the signals, well, he got bit! Hey, When Jim and Amy and Salty and I got together, you know I got bit by Amy EVERYTIME, cuz I didn't know Amy's signals. Every time! Talk about dumb!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
SO if your friend, who supposedly knows parrots, was dumb enough to stick a finger out to Albie and didn't know or read the signals, well, he got bit! Hey, When Jim and Amy and Salty and I got together, you know I got bit by Amy EVERYTIME, cuz I didn't know Amy's signals. Every time! Talk about dumb!
Yep. And we warned him to not to put his hands any where near albie. If you don't listen to the person who knows the Pet best, don't be suprised when something painful happens.

A part of me was a little proud that albie bit him (I'm a bad person I know) I've never been bitten like that by albie ever, he's only ever left beak imprints and maybe drew blood once, but nothing at all on the scale of damage. It was impressive and scary. But also very relieved that he's never chosen to use his beak like that with us.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Oh that's a great idea! I bet it will help Albie's confidence with her and her confidence with his body language, too. My relationship with my son's cockatiel improved dramatically after playing recall games with all of us together.
I hope so. We already do recall games between us to get him flying across the rooms to make him exercise as he can be a real peaech potato.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Practice with the 2 of you! Then he will already have the idea when you try with others. Only a few times in a row but you can do several times a day
That's a great idea, we already do something similar, so we will add it in to his little training sessions

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yep. And we warned him to not to put his hands any where near albie. If you don't listen to the person who knows the Pet best, don't be suprised when something painful happens.

A part of me was a little proud that albie bit him (I'm a bad person I know) I've never been bitten like that by albie ever, he's only ever left beak imprints and maybe drew blood once, but nothing at all on the scale of damage. It was impressive and scary. But also very relieved that he's never chosen to use his beak like that with us.
Yes they do bite strangers much harder. That's why I say take the bite if you are having them step to a guest and they offer to bite, a lot if times they will abort.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Yes they do bite strangers much harder. That's why I say take the bite if you are having them step to a guest and they offer to bite, a lot if times they will abort.
This is good to know!

Most Reactions