Jake attacked Linus, veterinarian necessary?

notaparrot

Jul 21, 2016
Parrots
Two green cheek conures
What happened was, My friend was working in the other room and he accidentally cut his hand pretty bad, I left the room for just a few minutes without putting Linus away and forgot that he likes to fly around. After showing my friend where the first aid kit was, I heard screaming coming from the other room like I'd never heard before, when I ran back into my room Linus was sitting on a perch in Jake's cage and Jake was sitting on the cage door about 8 inches away from him. Originally I thought they had just wrestled about and separated once I got back since I didn't see any feathers or blood, I checked out their toes, eyes, etc. but aside from some out of place feathers they both seemed fine. About 45 minutes later I noticed There was a small peeling flake on Linus's Beak, after scratching it off I noticed the area around the flake was redder than the rest of his beak. Its almost like a tiny bruise, Should I be worried? I've been watching him for about an hour since it happened, and will monitor him for at least the next 6 hours or so.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sorry you had to return to a fight scene. They really seem to know when to take full advantage of a situation. If the bleeding has stopped and he seems normal, the injury is likely minor.

Are you able to post a picture of the wound? Approximately where on the beak is the injury?

OP
N

notaparrot

Jul 21, 2016
Parrots
Two green cheek conures
Here are some pictures, sorry for the bad focus, its hard to get him to sit still. The flake of beak that peeled off was at that white spot about halfway up his beak. I'm worried about the reddening around the spot though, I didn't see any visible bleeding on either one of them but that spot is worrying. If it helps, He took a short nap after the incident, but afterwards he was up and playing as actively as he usually is.

Attachments

• IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 320
  • IMAG0230.jpg
    IMAG0230.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 279

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I see what you mean, it doesn't look too bad at all, the red area is probably just bruising but I'd keep a close watch for the next couple of days. My female quaker bruised her beak, it looked very similar to Linus's injury. It eventually faded but it took a while.

Linus is adorable, I hope he recovers quickly.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I think I'd give the vet a quick call in the morning just to be sure, but I'm a little over protective like that.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
You can never go wrong with checking in with a vet, but I honestly think it's just a minor bruise. If, however, the process of eating seems to cause him some discomfort, I would take him in so that he can get some anti-inflammatory medication. A hard enough blow can cause swelling that would make the process of chewing rather painful.

But short of that, I bet he's fine. Just keep an eye on him.

OP
N

notaparrot

Jul 21, 2016
Parrots
Two green cheek conures
Thanks for all you'r replies, I called my vet and sent him some pictures and he said that as long as he is still eating normally it should be fine, and to watch it for the next few days-weeks to see if the redness goes down.

Most Reactions

Latest posts