Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
January's POTM Theme
is

New+Beginnings+Cover+3.jpg

animated-heart-image-0005.gif

We have all felt the excitement of bringing our bird home for the first time, whether they are rescues, rehomes or babies who stole your heart.
This month is for those early days when they first joined your family.
Please tell us the circumstances of how they came to you, all our birds have unique stories that deserve to be heard.

animated-parrot-image-0014.gif

The contest will run until the morning (MST) of January 29th, and a poll for voting will go up then. The winner will be announced on February 1.

The winner will receive a Supporting Membership for a year,
and their photo will be the top photo on the forum home page as the winner for the month of February.

One official entry per person, but you can add as many Just for Fun entries as you want!

Please make sure to specify which one is your official entry, and remember to follow all forum rules for safety, etc.

Please include your bird's name somewhere in your post.

*A reminder that you can upload your pictures straight to the forum now! This makes it so easy, and the pictures uploaded to the forum will be visible on the homepage if you win. Any photos linked from other sites (such as Imgur) won't be visible and would need to be uploaded to the forum upon winning.*

Examples:

ki.jpg

This is Ki and Cally a couple of days after we brought them home. They had been living in a barn, both had lost their mates and they had been paired together.
Sadly, Cally only lived 3 years after she joined our family.
She was wild caught and at
least in her fifties and more likely her sixties according to our vet.
Ki grieved for her for a long time, but he is is still going strong and getting more tame all the time.

lunaf.jpg

This is Luna on her first day home. We got her from our wonderful rescue here called Meika's Safehouse. She still plucks her feathers off and on, but is beautiful just the same.

charley.jpg

This is Charley right after we got him.
He also came from Meika's after living in a crack house.

It took months for him to detox and he still has flashbacks where he reverts back to the early days of shaking and slamming himself into the bars of his cage. When he does it now he screams Daddy, and my husband goes and comforts him, often in the middle of the night.
Thankfully this happens less and less as time goes on.

animated-bird-image-0627.gif

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sublime theme, Terry! Every bird indeed has a story, this month will encourage significant text with images or video. Not simply a fun but educational and inspiring topic!!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
OMG, Terry! This is beautiful ❤️❤️❤️ Conjures up so many feelings and memories. Now to find the pictures to go with them... Gonna be a winner of a month for sure :)

Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you! I'm so excited to see the pictures of everyone's birds and hear their stories!

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
F9BB67DF-F283-4C34-9B59-679E78ACE6BE.jpeg

This picture was taken after my budgie Stormy (blue) had lost his friend, Sky to abuse and neglect (not by me). He almost died too, of neglect and depression, but this beautiful girl Picasso came into his life and saved him. This is one of the first times he ate millet with her after the 'accident'. You can see the light in his eyes is starting to come back.

He was healing, and so was Picasso, as she had come from a petshop where she was bullied by three other budgies and therefore learned to bite and hide. She was softened by helping Stormy work through his pain. They healed each other in a way, and gave each other a new beginning.

This is my official entry.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
View attachment 33590

This picture was taken after my budgie Stormy (blue) had lost his friend, Sky to abuse and neglect (not by me). He almost died too, of neglect and depression, but this beautiful girl Picasso came into his life and saved him. This is one of the first times he ate millet with her after the 'accident'. You can see the light in his eyes is starting to come back.

He was healing, and so was Picasso, as she had come from a petshop where she was bullied by three other budgies and therefore learned to bite and hide. She was softened by helping Stormy work through his pain. They healed each other in a way, and gave each other a new beginning.

This is my official entry.
What a sad beginning they had, and to see them together, healing each other's hearts is so beautiful. Thank goodness that in your care they will never be mistreated again, and they are no longer lonely. They have found their home, and their family. Thank you for sharing this.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
What a sad beginning they had, and to see them together, healing each other's hearts is so beautiful. Thank goodness that in your care they will never be mistreated again, and they are no longer lonely. They have found their home, and their family. Thank you for sharing this.
Thank you so much! I'm not expecting to win, as birds on here probably have more emotional healing stories, but I felt I needed to share this.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you so much! I'm not expecting to win, as birds on here probably have more emotional healing stories, but I felt I needed to share this.
I found your story about Stormy and Picasso to be very emotional. I have had birds lose a mate, and watching them grieve is so difficult. To see them making a connection with another bird is so wonderful. And I definitely know what you mean about the light in their eyes. That's the best feeling in the world to see it come back.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't know if I still have Penny's rescue day photos. The ones with feathers covered in poop and her mouth open screaming at me.

I found Penny in a mom and pop bird store. It was a long warehouse, no windows and pretty dim. She was in a tiny cage so small she could not stand upright . The cage w as on a shelf next to an aquarium of rats, which obviously terrified her. Her water had poop and algae and a film over it. Her food bowl only sunflower seeds. The poop was picked up almost as high as her perch. Her feet were bleeding from self mutilation, she was plucking. As soon as I looked at her she started screaming. I knew I had to rescue her. I asked about her. Was told an employee was boarding her. I asked if he might be interested in selling her. So they brought him up, he was a stable hand for the horses they boarded. He was high as a kite, sbd willing to sell her.....but for more money than I had.....

I went home, I told family and friends about her. I already had 2 parrots and wasn't looking to add any....they all offered to donate the money so I could save her. So with 3 peoples money plus mine I went back the next day to get her!
On the way home she kept shooting poops on me.
At home I opened the Cage to transfer her to her nice new home. She screamed at me and bit me. Oh she was mad poor girl! Then she looked me right in the eye and said F--- You! Oh I kid you not!!!! ( inside I laughed so hard )
Well since she was so mad I decided to go for broke and rinsed as much poop of as I could, soaked her chewed up feet in dilute betadine. Then put her in the cage with my radiant heat panel on her. O stuffed some broccoli through the bars and she had her terrible seeds with sunflower seeds. She ate that broccoli the first day! Though it was a very long struggle to get her eating other veggie and better seed mix with zero sunflower and to eat some pellets.
On her second day she told me to f off! But never again in the 4 years I've had her has she ever cussed!!
She obviously had been loved at some point, she had many sweet words she could say especially pretty pretty birdie .
She grieved for her person too , and had many angry days at first, but also started to show her sweet side. I think it took 2 years for her to be able to fly , and about that long to really rehabilitate her.
( her previous owner died of a drug overdose 3 month after I got her, I'm so sorry for his struggles , I know that he loved her once)

Now the sweetest love and snuggle girl. No more mutilation, but she still plucks around her neck. She is a funny funny girl big sense of humor! Barks and meows in the middle of the night, likes to beep like the microwave, pulls tail feathers of the other birds she thinks that is so funny!
Here she is now! I adore her, we were ment for each other , she has charmed and cheered me on dark days, and the joy of seeing her dull eyes now shine with happiness and life and humor its a gift
20211231_163100.jpg

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Terry,
Such wonderful rescue stories, thank goodness you
have helped so many!

Stormy, wonderful pictures of trust and rescue love.
Thank you so much, Laura. Honestly I think they have rescued me just as much as I rescued them.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I don't know if I still have Penny's rescue day photos. The ones with feathers covered in poop and her mouth open screaming at me.

I found Penny in a mom and pop bird store. It was a long warehouse, no windows and pretty dim. She was in a tiny cage so small she could not stand upright . The cage w as on a shelf next to an aquarium of rats, which obviously terrified her. Her water had poop and algae and a film over it. Her food bowl only sunflower seeds. The poop was picked up almost as high as her perch. Her feet were bleeding from self mutilation, she was plucking. As soon as I looked at her she started screaming. I knew I had to rescue her. I asked about her. Was told an employee was boarding her. I asked if he might be interested in selling her. So they brought him up, he was a stable hand for the horses they boarded. He was high as a kite, sbd willing to sell her.....but for more money than I had.....

I went home, I told family and friends about her. I already had 2 parrots and wasn't looking to add any....they all offered to donate the money so I could save her. So with 3 peoples money plus mine I went back the next day to get her!
At home I opened the Cage to transfer her to her nice new home. She screamed at me and bit me. Oh she was mad poor girl! Then she looked me right in the eye and said F--- You! Oh I kid you not!!!! ( inside I laughed so hard )
Well since she was so mad I decided to go for broke and rinsed as much poop of as I could, soaked her chewed up feet in dilute betadine. Then put her in the cage with my radiant heat panel on her. O stuffed some broccoli through the bars and she had her terrible seeds with sunflower seeds. She ate that broccoli the first day! Though it was a very long struggle to get her eating other veggie and better seed mix with zero sunflower and to eat some pellets.
On her second day she told me to f off! But never again in the 4 years I've had her has she ever cussed!!
She obviously had been loved at some point, she had many sweet words she could say especially pretty pretty birdie .
She grieved for her person too , and had many angry days at first, but also started to show her sweet side. I think it took 2 years for her to be able to fly , and about that long to really rehabilitate her.
( her previous owner died of a drug overdose 3 month after I got her, I'm so sorry for his struggles , I know that he loved her once)

Now the sweetest love and snuggle girl. No more mutilation, but she still plucks around her neck. She is a funny funny girl big sense of humor! Barks and meows in the middle of the night, likes to beep like the microwave, pulls tail feathers of the other birds she thinks that is so funny!
Here she is now! I adore her, we were ment for each other , she has charmed and cheered me on dark days, and the joy of seeing her dull eyes now shine with happiness and life and humor its a gift
View attachment 33593
Beautiful story, @Laurasea, Neglect is a horrible thing but I'm glad your little girl got her 'eye sparkles' back!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

View attachment 33593
Your rescue of Penny is such a wonderful story. Everything came together for her to join your family and start living the life she deserved.
I find it heartbreaking for a bird who once knew love and then for whatever reason they end up in a terrible place. How confusing that must be for them, always waiting for their human to come back.
I am so thankful that she found a wonderful loving home again with you. It was meant to be that she found her new human who will never leave her. Thank you for sharing her story, it is a truly beautiful story of rescue and love.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Terry,
Such wonderful rescue stories, thank goodness you
have helped so many!

Stormy, wonderful pictures of trust and rescue love.
Thank you so much! I never thought they'd get this far. Stormy has defied all odds, as he also flew away July 2021 and came back. Honestly they have rescued each other more than I've rescued them.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
What have you done? Each month I struggle to choose my winner and it gives me brain ache, now this month you are going to make me do it through tears as well! Is there no mercy? :cry::cry:
WHY TERRY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

I had my husband bring home 3 boxes of tissues yesterday, I have a feeling there will be a lot of onions cut this month!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I had my husband bring home 3 boxes of tissues yesterday, I have a feeling there will be a lot of onions cut this month!
You'll need a lot more than 3 boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts