Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
There are still a few hours to get your entries in!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Me too! I loved reading all the wonderful stories and seeing all the pictures, it's been a great month:)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
OK, I'll do it because why not, lol.

1618927369531.JPEG

This is a pic of my dear Grumpy(he passed away in late march 2021) with his partner, Sunny, next to him.

I first got the two of them with the intention of breeding them(I didn't know any better back then). The breeder wasn't exactly a reputable breeder. The birds were kept in two wooden sheds. The baby birds(birds under 6 months) were housed in two breeder cages. Sadly, they were so crammed that they barely had space to move. The birds that were 6-9months were kept in an aviary in one of the sheds, and the birds that were 9+ months or birds that weren't breeding were kept in another aviary in the other shed. Sunny and Grumpy were one of the breeding pairs.

The breeder said that I'll never be able to tame him since he never had human interaction for most of his life(that should've been a big red flag). I tamed him in 2 weeks, and he even let me pet his head. Sunny isn't that tame, but she lets me handle her sometimes.

He was my best friend.

I feel guilty for his death, since it feels like he died because I(as an unexperienced owner) didn't have enough knowledge for breeding, as I saw it as a way to have cute babies and maybe make some money. I blame myself for his passing, since that somehow makes me feel better.

I miss you Grumpy, and so does Sunny. RIP sweet boy ❤️

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

View attachment 35123

This is a pic of my dear Grumpy(he passed away in late march 2021) with his partner, Sunny, next to him.

I first got the two of them with the intention of breeding them(I didn't know any better back then). The breeder wasn't exactly a reputable breeder. The birds were kept in two wooden sheds. The baby birds(birds under 6 months) were housed in two breeder cages. Sadly, they were so crammed that they barely had space to move. The birds that were 6-9months were kept in an aviary in one of the sheds, and the birds that were 9+ months or birds that weren't breeding were kept in another aviary in the other shed. Sunny and Grumpy were one of the breeding pairs.

The breeder said that I'll never be able to tame him since he never had human interaction for most of his life(that should've been a big red flag). I tamed him in 2 weeks, and he even let me pet his head. Sunny isn't that tame, but she lets me handle her sometimes.

He was my best friend.

I feel guilty for his death, since it feels like he died because I(as an unexperienced owner) didn't have enough knowledge for breeding, as I saw it as a way to have cute babies and maybe make some money. I blame myself for his passing, since that somehow makes me feel better.

Oh my gosh Pippen, Grumpy and Sunny look so beautiful together! You made their lives so much brighter, and Sunny is still the lucky recipient of that. What you did mattered a lot to Grumpy and you must have made him happy otherwise he would never have trusted you so much only 2 weeks! I'm so sorry for the loss of your best friend Pippen, but you made Grumpy happy and even if it was only for a short time, it made all the difference in the world to him. He and Sunny are both very lucky little birdies to have been found and to be loved by you!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

View attachment 35123

He was my best friend.

First, thank you for entering! Every bird has a special story, and I'm really glad you posted Sunny & Grumpy's story. That's amazing that you were able to tame Grumpy in 2 weeks, he must have known that he was in a place where he was safe and loved.

Please don't blame yourself about his passing, it's painful to think of where he may have ended up had you not brought he and Sunny home with you. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad that you and Sunny can help each other through the grief.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
The contest is closed now, and here is the link to the poll:

January 2022 POTM Poll!

Thank you all for participating this month, the stories and pictures you shared were amazing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts