Jax's Rescue

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Plucking seems to be an issue linked with captivity in parrots and is a very complex issue that experts and veterinarians struggle to fully understand. Proposed links , how they were raised and weaned, starting with a health issue but continues once health issue is resolved, hormonal frustration, diet, not learning how to preen and care for feathers, self soothing ritual, obsessive compulsion disorder, neglect, inadequate mental and physical and emotional needs met. But even parrots cared for in every way by loving owners may develop.

This is a story of one parrots neglect, and I feel his story deserves to be told .

A long time ago, so some details have been lost to memory . I worked with a group that pets could be surrendered, with no charges made, no investigation, no name or details asked. Tho if they chose they could share information or back story to help the pet being left with us. A lot of people were envolved including several veterinarians who donated their time and services and supplies.

I was present when a nanday conure was brought in a pet carrier. This woman was upset and remorseful and chose to tell us some of how this came about. This was her ex husband's parrot, and when he cheated she kept and hid the parrot. It had now been years, and she told us she kept in spare bedroom and was to afraid of him to let him out of his cage. Her fear and his bites and screaming had gotten so bad she had trouble giving him food. Then she left.

We opened the carrier to find a living skeleton of a bird. He was plucked except head and a few mangled bloody tail and wing primary. He had self mutilation all over his body and back. Muscle was exposed, some possibly into body cavity....and the smell of infection. He was weak and not doing very well.....

The veterinarian determines the humane thing to do was euthanasia. While I agree , and it wasn't looking like he would even survive the day. I've had to make that decision for my own personal pets in the past. BUT Something in me protested. I just couldn't stand it all the way to my soul that he had made it this far and didn't get a chance.

So the veterinarian agreed to call over the other 3 veterinarians, to examine him and give their opinion. I'm holding him , and putting forward every argument I have and every story of a miracle I know. The decision is split , 2 for, and 2 for giving me a chance to save him. One veterinarian steps up and says she will provide all the veterinarian oversight and medicine and supplies if I take him home and care for him, and if doesn't respond we will provide that final kindness and not let him suffer. He won't belong to me, but to the organization, who has adopters lined up, and I can not adopt him. I had to sign stuff, and higher ups agreed to this.

A donated cage was found and a truck to deliver it to my house. The veterinarian prescribed and provided a large number of medications, antibiotics, pain medications, mood altering ( halopederal?? Can't remember)

I can remember I never let him go from the time he was surrenderderd to the time I got him home ( someone drove me) and we met the people who donated and drove the Cage to my house. A lot of incredible people came together to make this happen and give him and me every chance. I named him Jax, and he started to groom my hand that were holding him . I was told this could be because he was so weak and in an altered state , and he might become as we were were told very mean if he started to feel better.

Jax survived. After 3 months we took him off the mood altering drugs. He allowed wing and tail feathers and a scatter of down and back feathers to grow back. He stopped self mutilation, but continued plucking. He gained back to normal weight. He never became mean or bite. But was frantic for attention and would continuously preen me, stripped skin from my hand and nails, pulled out hair. He was obsessive compulsive and never returned to be " right in the head" I was to keep him 3 more months to be sure he wouldn't return to self mutilation.

So after 6 months he was ready to be adopted. The head of the organization and the veterinarian contacted me . They told me because of his amazing recovery, and my fight for him, they would stick their necks out , and were willing to sign off that he didn't survive and let me keep him. I struggled with this.... but ultimately decided to keep my and their honor intact. To give Jax and I every chance, they had the adopter come to my house and meet Jax and see how he was ( plucked and a little crazy) and so I could go over his care and needs. And so I could provide all my contact information, and my desire to keep him or take him back if things didn't work out for them or he was to much. She met him, said yes she still wanted him......but not much else...I provided her a sheet with my email, address phone number, his medical history, the veterinarian who had been in charge of him..asked for pictures and update , she said she would. She left,.......I never heard another word about him.

Thank you for letting me share, and maybe heal, definitely cried... it still hurts because I don't know if I should have kept him after all

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Plucking seems to be an issue linked with captivity in parrots and is a very complex issue that experts and veterinarians struggle to fully understand. Proposed links , how they were raised and weaned, starting with a health issue but continues once health issue is resolved, hormonal frustration, diet, not learning how to preen and care for feathers, self soothing ritual, obsessive compulsion disorder, neglect, inadequate mental and physical and emotional needs met. But even parrots cared for in every way by loving owners may develop.

This is a story of one parrots neglect, and I feel his story deserves to be told .

A long time ago, so some details have been lost to memory . I worked with a group that pets could be surrendered, with no charges made, no investigation, no name or details asked. Tho if they chose they could share information or back story to help the pet being left with us. A lot of people were envolved including several veterinarians who donated their time and services and supplies.

I was present when a nanday conure was brought in a pet carrier. This woman was upset and remorseful and chose to tell us some of how this came about. This was her ex husband's parrot, and when he cheated she kept and hid the parrot. It had now been years, and she told us she kept in spare bedroom and was to afraid of him to let him out of his cage. Her fear and his bites and screaming had gotten so bad she had trouble giving him food. Then she left.

We opened the carrier to find a living skeleton of a bird. He was plucked except head and a few mangled bloody tail and wing primary. He had self mutilation all over his body and back. Muscle was exposed, some possibly into body cavity....and the smell of infection. He was weak and not doing very well.....

The veterinarian determines the humane thing to do was euthanasia. While I agree , and it wasn't looking like he would even survive the day. I've had to make that decision for my own personal pets in the past. BUT Something in me protested. I just couldn't stand it all the way to my soul that he had made it this far and didn't get a chance.

So the veterinarian agreed to call over the other 3 veterinarians, to examine him and give their opinion. I'm holding him , and putting forward every argument I have and every story of a miracle I know. The decision is split , 2 for, and 2 for giving me a chance to save him. One veterinarian steps up and says she will provide all the veterinarian oversight and medicine and supplies if I take him home and care for him, and if doesn't respond we will provide that final kindness and not let him suffer. He won't belong to me, but to the organization, who has adopters lined up, and I can not adopt him. I had to sign stuff, and higher ups agreed to this.

A donated cage was found and a truck to deliver it to my house. The veterinarian prescribed and provided a large number of medications, antibiotics, pain medications, mood altering ( halopederal?? Can't remember)

I can remember I never let him go from the time he was surrenderderd to the time I got him home ( someone drove me) and we met the people who donated and drove the Cage to my house. A lot of incredible people came together to make this happen and give him and me every chance. I named him Jax, and he started to groom my hand that were holding him . I was told this could be because he was so weak and in an altered state , and he might become as we were were told very mean if he started to feel better.

Jax survived. After 3 months we took him off the mood altering drugs. He allowed wing and tail feathers and a scatter of down and back feathers to grow back. He stopped self mutilation, but continued plucking. He gained back to normal weight. He never became mean or bite. But was frantic for attention and would continuously preen me, stripped skin from my hand and nails, pulled out hair. He was obsessive compulsive and never returned to be " right in the head" I was to keep him 3 more months to be sure he wouldn't return to self mutilation.

So after 6 months he was ready to be adopted. The head of the organization and the veterinarian contacted me . They told me because of his amazing recovery, and my fight for him, they would stick their necks out , and were willing to sign off that he didn't survive and let me keep him. I struggled with this.... but ultimately decided to keep my and their honor intact. To give Jax and I every chance, they had the adopter come to my house and meet Jax and see how he was ( plucked and a little crazy) and so I could go over his care and needs. And so I could provide all my contact information, and my desire to keep him or take him back if things didn't work out for them or he was to much. She met him, said yes she still wanted him......but not much else...I provided her a sheet with my email, address phone number, his medical history, the veterinarian who had been in charge of him..asked for pictures and update , she said she would. She left,.......I never heard another word about him.

Thank you for letting me share, and maybe heal, definitely cried... it still hurts because I don't know if I should have kept him after all
What a wonderful thing you did for Jax, Laura.
You literally gave him a chance to live, and it sounds like he thrived in your loving care.
I hate how people won't keep in touch when they take someone's bird. I still respond to emails from people who gave me their birds years ago, wanting to know how they're doing.
Let's hope for Jax that he was doing well, and she didn't contact you because of that.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I know she was home full time and I still worked. So I pray this was the perfect person for him and he was happy..

I was just crying so hard in memory and sharing. My wonderful parrots Pikachu Penny and Pheobe flew to me. They preened me and Pheobe carefully licked away my tears. Then they all leaned on me purring. My heart, these amazing creatures we call parrots.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Feb 20, 2022
What a beautiful story! But how heartbreaking that you've never gotten an update! I can't imagine not wanting to share! I'm going to imagine Jax taking that fighting spirit and being an absolute joy in his new home, thanks to your advocating for him and giving him the care he needed to grow and flourish.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've thought about Jax so much over the years. It has hurt me to never know..To be fair the adopter didn't know the full back story that went into saving him .

Sometimes we have those moments in life when something seems to speak through us. No one was there to end a life, he was in an unimaginable state. I don't even know where that faith or thought that I could save came from , just that I felt it to the core of my being. Once he was in my hands for the exam I just could not let him go, I could not put him back in the carrier. I let another volunteer drive my car home.

Jax did his part too! He ate as soon as food was offered. Ofcourse I had my trusted sweeter heater on him in an instant! He was weak, and i gently wrapped in towel for all treatments wound care ect. As he got stronger he always let me do this with no fight or struggle. His wound/infection mutilation recover went smoothly.

I don't remember all , but I remember everything the day I met him, and the day he left with his adopter.

I've never cried for him like I have today, amongst you all my friends . So thank you parrot forums, for giving me a place to share his story and heal myself

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

Wow. You are a very kind person. Thank you for loving Jax. I can imagine his adoption and disappearance was very hard.

Years ago, I adopted a cherry headed conure who had been terribly abused. I got him feeling a lot better and willing to cuddle and relax. I lost him and another loved parrot due to a gas leak. It still bothers me because he was beginning to be happy and then he died.

So hard. I believe that my bird was finally at peace. But he had a good time in his life when he was loved very much. So was Jax. You changed his life. Thank you.

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Laura we will always support you through such an endeavor no matter if it is past or present.
You are very kind for doing this for Jax and I'm 100 percent sure that in his little bird world, he was thanking you through it all!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wow. You are a very kind person. Thank you for loving Jax. I can imagine his adoption and disappearance was very hard.

Years ago, I adopted a cherry headed conure who had been terribly abused. I got him feeling a lot better and willing to cuddle and relax. I lost him and another loved parrot due to a gas leak. It still bothers me because he was beginning to be happy and then he died.

So hard. I believe that my bird was finally at peace. But he had a good time in his life when he was loved very much. So was Jax. You changed his life. Thank you.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
Thank you for the rescue of the cherry head. I'm so happy he got to experience love.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Someone left a reaction so the thread popped up. I've cried so much again for Jax. I've added more prayers that he is happy and loved.

I wish I could save them all! I hope the parrot forum army of parrot lovers saves as many as are found by members.

And that all the people who dedicate their time in the forum helping others with their parrots know how important they are! Your guidance is helping prevent parrots from ending up in the kind of situations like Jax ended up in.

And if someone finds themselves unable to care for a parrot properly , please feel no shame in finding them a better home. That is so much better than shoving them off in a room and neglecting them. They are far to intelligent and social to be left always in a cage.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Through your story I feel like I know Jax and pray he is thriving. You are a wonderful soul Laurasea and I am so happy you, the vets and the Rescue gave Jax a chance. That rescue allowed his previous owner the ability to get him help and you advocating for him literally changed so many lives, Jax's, us and everyone who witnessed Jax's journey with you.

Most Reactions