jello doesnt play with toys much

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
how can i get him to play? he has a variety of kabobs, swings, forage toys, matts, wooden, everything! hes a baby so i know i have to show him- but ive never had a baby bird before so i dont know where to start. ive tried playing with the toys in front of him and it works for a second but then he just wants to hang out with me and watch tv. the only toy he LOVES, and i mean LOVES (ive bought close to 12, he destroys them in hours) are these timothy hay basket toys that have paper confetti inside. he chews them all up until nothings left. other than this toy, he shows basically no interest. helppppp!!

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
how can i get him to play? he has a variety of kabobs, swings, forage toys, matts, wooden, everything! hes a baby so i know i have to show him- but ive never had a baby bird before so i dont know where to start. ive tried playing with the toys in front of him and it works for a second but then he just wants to hang out with me and watch tv. the only toy he LOVES, and i mean LOVES (ive bought close to 12, he destroys them in hours) are these timothy hay basket toys that have paper confetti inside. he chews them all up until nothings left. other than this toy, he shows basically no interest. helppppp!!
My Kingsley really enjoys confetti as well. He's already destroyed his foraging toy that has these little stars that has confetti in them. He also likes these dried corn husks (I think thats what they are) he doesn't care for the wooden toys much.
Atleast thats my exeience with them.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
It seems you have a shredder on your hands ! So anything with paper i think your baby will enjoy.

Albie (my green cheek) goes through phases of chewing his wood toys ,chewing his sea grass toys and shredding up paper .

Itll be trial and error to see which ones your little one will enjoy and dont forget, they can change their mind about what they like and what they dont in a birdie heartbeat, although ,albie has stayed pretty consistent in his love of shredding up paper (so much so ive had to stop buying physical books ,all my cook books has beak marks on the cover )

Have fun !

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I always say feed the hungry bee. My Salty like certain types of toys, so I get varieties of those. And I leave 1 or 2 of other type close by, and he eventually tries and plays a little with those. I take him with me when I go toys shopping, and let him pick out the toys. Saves $$ for sure.

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
I always say feed the hungry bee. My Salty like certain types of toys, so I get varieties of those. And I leave 1 or 2 of other type close by, and he eventually tries and plays a little with those. I take him with me when I go toys shopping, and let him pick out the toys. Saves $$ for sure.
ill try that! he seems to be interested in toys for like .2 seconds then is off chewing the curtains...

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
My conure George came from a situation where the 2 bonded birds kept him away from "their" toys, so he had no idea what they were. I remember having to actually chew on wood planks for him until he figured it out. Once he did he destroyed them and kept going.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My conure George came from a situation where the 2 bonded birds kept him away from "their" toys, so he had no idea what they were. I remember having to actually chew on wood planks for him until he figured it out. Once he did he destroyed them and kept going.
Wow. You are a determined Bird Mommy.
I have played with Willow’s jingle ball in front of him and dangled his hanging toys in his face so he would tug them. Then I told him he was a good smart bird. But Willow mostly wants to sit close to me on one foot and crunch his beak.

Most Reactions