Jenday Conure doesn't want to come out

Emp9999

Jul 13, 2021
I recently adopted a Jenday conure, and have been trying to work with him so he'd be comfortable with hands and being out with me as soon as I get home like my livebird is. The problem I'm having is he's a rescue, and I have a sneaking suspicion that he was not allowed out or was covered a lot because of his volume. He's decently comfortable with my hand and loves kisses. Most of the time that he let's me touch him is head scratches. But when he's done he let's me know. I know a huge part of training him is getting him out of the cage but he has yet to walk out, and I'm afraid if I force him out I will lose a lot of the progress I've made with him. His door as soon as I get home is open. And I have put a toy on his door to try ajd coerce him out, but no dice. Any advice?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your Jenday! Any idea his age, how long have you had him? Parrots often feel comfortable in their cage immediately after adoption, some folks don't offer exit for several days. Often it is helpful to return to "step one" for reset. A favorite treat such as piece of almond, walnut, or cashew may help entice him out. Also sitting by the cage with open door and talking softly or reading aloud helps build trust: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Quite correct, forcibly removing unless absolutely necessary hurts trust!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You are rushing this WAY too fast ( in terms of expectations-- and you are right never to force them unless trust is very solid and even then, only if you absolutely must in an emergency etc). You haven't had him long enough to build real trust and overcome past baggage...Slow down in your thinking-- If you push, as you stated, you set yourself back because each time you scare or increase anxiety (even if not bitten).

Most Reactions

Latest posts