Jenday conure laid an egg!

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
My female jenday conure laid an egg. She laid it on my thigh, and sat on it for the longest while before I got up and realized that there was suddenly an egg on my thigh. I tried not to touch it, but quickly assembled a nest and placed her egg on it, and then in the cage. She didnā€™t care for it. But today, I took it and placed it on the floor of the cage. She rolled it around and put it under her, but didnā€™t sit on it. When I checked right now, she hid it under a newspaper. Doing the same rolling process. I gave her sunlight , and calcium foods to restore her calcium.
Is there anything else I should do? Why isnā€™t she sitting on her egg? What does it mean if she laid it on me?
Btw: I attached a picture of her ā€œsleepingā€ moments before I realized she laid an egg

Attachments

• 7D977D4E-71D1-4121-938F-1AB48F9AAD8C.jpeg
    7D977D4E-71D1-4121-938F-1AB48F9AAD8C.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 55
  • D726E350-5DE5-489C-9D0A-B6F12B7E9793.jpeg
    D726E350-5DE5-489C-9D0A-B6F12B7E9793.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 52
  • 3A45B802-68BD-4323-992C-7EF740178E12.jpeg
    3A45B802-68BD-4323-992C-7EF740178E12.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 48

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
MĆ©xico
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
Well, she laid an egg on you because she feels comfortable with you and she needed that egg leaving her body.

If she does not have any contact with a male partner, then you can throw it to trash (there's no baby bird inside).

Some females lay eggs without a male partner, but these eggs are not fertilized. If you notice she lays eggs too often, then you could ask an avian vet how to make her stop before she looses too much calcium and to avoid dystocia.

šŸ˜Š

Reactions: Raz
OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Well, she laid an egg on you because she feels comfortable with you and she needed that egg leaving her body.

If she does not have any contact with a male partner, then you can throw it to trash (there's no baby bird inside).

Some females lay eggs without a male partner, but these eggs are not fertilized. If you notice she lays eggs too often, then you could ask an avian vet how to make her stop before she looses too much calcium and to avoid dystocia.

šŸ˜Š
Thank you! She has a partner and Iā€™ve seen them engage way too much but Iā€™m so sure that itā€™s a fertile egg. Iā€™m worried that sheā€™ll miss the egg

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thank you! She has a partner and Iā€™ve seen them engage way too much but Iā€™m so sure that itā€™s a fertile egg. Iā€™m worried that sheā€™ll miss the egg
Have you candled the egg? If you see veins then it's fertile.
Also throwing an egg away if a female bird cares about it can be dangerous, it could cause them to lay more eggs to compensate.

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Have you candled the egg? If you see veins then it's fertile.
Also throwing an egg away if a female bird cares about it can be dangerous, it could cause them to lay more eggs to compensate.
Thereā€™s no veins ! Thatā€™s what Iā€™m worried about. Iā€™ve seen her regurgitate for the egg

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
MĆ©xico
Parrots
Well, if she is not interested on that egg, she might know there is nothing alive inside. šŸ˜„
But you could buy or make a new nest (like a closed box with only one entrance) and put it in the couple's favorite quiet place to enjoy themselves. She may be laying more eggs soon in her nest and become a bit more "mysterious". šŸ£šŸ¦œšŸ¦œ

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
MĆ©xico
Parrots
Thereā€™s no veins ! Thatā€™s what Iā€™m worried about. Iā€™ve seen her regurgitate for the egg
Then, no baby inside. I'm sorry.
She may be laying more eggs, so she will need a nest (high, in a quiet place) quickly. But first, when the couple is busy and not watching you, disappear that dead egg.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Do they have a nest box? If so I would place the egg in there or if not on the cage floor.

She certainly loves you! What a compliment.

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Well, if she is not interested on that egg, she might know there is nothing alive inside. šŸ˜„
But you could buy or make a new nest (like a closed box with only one entrance) and put it in the couple's favorite quiet place to enjoy themselves. She may be laying more eggs soon in her nest and become a bit more "mysterious". šŸ£šŸ¦œšŸ¦œ
Iā€™ve done that! They both love to sit in it. She laid 2 eggs and cracked both of them and now sheā€™s flapping her wings and making noises 24/7 Iā€™ll make a post about it soon!

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Do they have a nest box? If so I would place the egg in there or if not on the cage floor.

She certainly loves you! What a compliment.
I made one! She doesnā€™t pay mind to the egg but just sits inside

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Then, no baby inside. I'm sorry.
She may be laying more eggs, so she will need a nest (high, in a quiet place) quickly. But first, when the couple is busy and not watching you, disappear that dead egg.
Thanks!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
How many days old was the egg when you candled it? It takes some days for the veins and then embryo to be visible. When just laid, the egg has only a yolk and white visible just like an unfertilized chicken egg.

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
How many days old was the egg when you candled it? It takes some days for the veins and then embryo to be visible. When just laid, the egg has only a yolk and white visible just like an unfertilized chicken egg.
I didnā€™t see any white visible and I checked it right away to see if it was fertile. I kept it in the cage either way but when I came back it was cracked with all the yolk spilled

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Just wanted to let you know that at the beginning of development a new, fertilized egg looks the same as a sterile egg.

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
MĆ©xico
Parrots
Iā€™ve done that! They both love to sit in it. She laid 2 eggs and cracked both of them and now sheā€™s flapping her wings and making noises 24/7 Iā€™ll make a post about it soon!
It might be a good idea to let them keep their nest longer, the couple will decide the right time to enlarge the family. If the female cracks or takes any egg out of the nest, then it's considered "garbage" (by her).

Most Reactions