Jenday vs Senegal Parrot

tonys2k6

Feb 24, 2008
Hi everyone...new member here. Looking for a little info to help make an informed decision for a new member of the family.

What are the differences between a jenday conure and a senegal parrot? I've heard both are great birds, but I want to choose the one that would be best for my family. I have done some reading on both of them; I was just wondering if someone has had experience with both and could tell me through their experiences what the pros and cons of each would be.

Thank you so much!

Tony

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
Well the first thing that comes to mind is volume. A senegal can have a loud screech but any conure is likely to be more vocal on a regular basis. You can encourage a conure to be quiet, but it is unfair to want them to never scream. It is just part of how they communicate and express themselves.
Personality wise the senegal is going to be more laid back and quiet. A baby will probably adapt well to your family if your kids are quiet and gentle. An older senegal might be a bit put off by all the activity of a family in my opinion.
If your kids are more the rambunctious type then a baby jenday might be better suited to your family.
But right now I don't have conures or senegals. There are others here who might be able to give you better advice.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I can tell you about Senegals but not about conures, thats more for Tex.

Senegals are realtively quiet, but can let out a good screech. They are like little acrobatic clowns. Do get a baby though and introduce it to many things because they do become a little "phobic" when they become older.

Any questions you have about the two just let us know and we will be happy to answer.

Lori

Feb 26, 2008
Massachusettes
Parrots
1 Senegal Boo Boo
2 Tiels George, Sonney
1 Parakeet Pineapple
Tony, Before being able to help I would ask about your family is it still growing or how old are your kids. I have a Senegal and dont personally own a Jenday but have a friend with one. The Senegal can be a one person bird. Mine loves me tolerates my hubby and likes my 7 year old he dont like the 5 year old. The Jenday is louder for longer periods through the day but. They are so different in a lot of ways if you tell us about your self we may be able to help more. Have you thought of other breeds?

Lori

Most Reactions

Latest posts