Jordan and her toy

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
I need help! Jordan my lovebird is so attached to her toy, which is a good thing. But it is destroyed. I need to replace it, but she won't let me. She bites if I go near it. She's only 11 - 12 weeks old, she can't possibly be territorial yet. Can she?
The toy is a foraging toy for conures. It is "washed out". It use to have 1 blue rope, 1 green rope, 1 red rope. Now all 3 rope are grey/white. And the wooden part of the toy is discolored.

Here's some pictures of her with her toy, before she started to destroy it.

984dc624d2e8c13b835bd9d3f55a9f98.jpg

168b04a58b4b3fafa84c659edbaf9bf5.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I would leave it, it is more than a toy to her. You can try putting an exact replacement in another part of the cage but I'd be very surprised if it is taken to. I'm guessing she sleeps close to it etc? Just be sure that it is safe and there is no apparent risk of injury/danger to her. Perhaps sneak in a quick trim of some of those long ends.

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Obviously Jordan doesn't care WHAT kind of shape it's in lol :rolleyes: she just loves it..now,when it finally DOES get destroyed,and its time for a new one..just wait it out until she doesn't pay anymore attention to it,and try to sneak in a new one.

Jim

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Yep, I will third the motion! You have to just leave it in there, she loves it and as already stated it's a lot more than a toy to her, it's become her security blanket...Make sure it's still safe for her, trim any hanging strings she could get caught on, and keep your eyes open for a new toy that has similar features. I don't ever try to sneak in the exact same toy as the one they won't let go of, that never works, they are too smart for that. Just keep your eyes open for a toy that has the same features as this one did, and once you find one you think she'll like, buy it, then put it in her cage, but let the old one in there too. Hopefully she will start playing with the new toy, and once you see her paying more attention to the new toy than the old one, well that's when you act fast and hijack the old one. She may not even care at that point if you take the old one out. If she hates the first toy you buy take it out and try another similar foraging toy, and repeat until you find one that trips her trigger. But until then let her keep her old one, it's not hurting anything and you'll do far more damage than good taking it away from her just because it's ratty looking.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
ParrotLover2001

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
I'll never find one that looks like it. Even if it's the same toy. This one is 4 years old, I've had it since my first bird. The colors washed off, and parts of it are missing (some wooden beads, other wooden things)
I've been trying to put new toys in her cage, she doesn't show any interest in them. She doesn't like ring toys, mirrors, toys with bells, other rope toys, she just like that one toy. I'd admit, it is cute finding her playing with it. She's got more use out of it then all 5 of the birds that used it before her combined! I can't seem to find that toy in stores any more, and I'm currently looking all over the Internet for it.

Sent from my iPod touch

OP
ParrotLover2001

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
I did a little shopping around over the weekend. Neither Walmart had the toy anymore, non of the 4 pet stores had it, and I gave up looking for the toy. Last night I had a dream that I finally found it, and revealed what it was called. I wake up immediately and searched the Internet for Caribbean hide a treat bird toy. I didn't think anything would show up because that was from my dream, but to my surprise pictures of the toy showed up. Along with Walmart and Amazon webpages, they had it! When I looked at the Walmart one, and saw a disappointment, what I saw was what I saw in the store. What I thought to be a rip off in the store was the toy I wanted. It has been redesigned, thinner ropes, more wooden beads. I was upset, I like the thicker ropes. I feel the thicker the ropes, the longer it will be for the bird to chew through. I'm incredibly disappointed in the people who make it, Penn Plax. I'll never be able to replace it! Jordan is now spoiled because I bought like 5 new toys for her over the weekend, but none will be able to replace that one toy.

Sent from my iPod touch

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
It doesn't look like she's chewing the toy - she's snuggling in it. It will last a long time, though it would be good to steal it once in a while and clean it. You might try searching for preening toy, snuggling toy - look for something that has lots of strips hanging down. Don't get one of the "happy hut" things - those have strangled birds when they get worn. Same with this toy - you will want to clip off any very long threads or anything that makes a loop a head or foot could be caught in.

OP
ParrotLover2001

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
I found something that she likes. Thanks to this toy she no longer spends all day with with the other one, now she only sleeps with it at night. The new toy is a mirror that spins. She was so interested in it that she played with it just seconds after I put it in the cage. She loves that mirror now, I can always hear her spinning it, since it has a ring with beads around the mirror part.
I'm so happy I found something else she loves.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Eve2

Jan 30, 2017
You could make a toy like it yourself with coconut shells. I totally agree with the others about cutting off the stringy bits, they can be very dangerous.

Most Reactions

Latest posts