just a bit curious

amazon01

Jan 6, 2008
hey, im new here. I have a young double-yellow headed amazon named tweety. It's about 7 months old. I noticed that his beak is flaking. I'm not sure if its due to a vitamine A def, or if his beak is growing. I've added extra veggie's and fruits to his diet just to be safe, and i was wonderin how i can tell the difference of whether his beak is growing, or if its a problem wit his vitamine A.

Last edited:

Chewy

Aug 24, 2007
Media
Washington state
Parrots
1cockatoo Chewy 2 cockatiels Male=eli female-=LittleFoot
it is not really abnormal for it to flake sometimes it needs peeling, I thinik the onl yway to tell about hte vitamin a def is a blood test

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
What does he regularly eat? His primary diet should be a good quality of pelleted food. I use Zupreem, but there are many good brands. This can be supplemented with fruits and veggies.

I second what Chewy said, its not necessarily abnormal. If Tweety is on a healthy diet and there are no other signs or symptoms it should be of little concern.

When Auggie was young he'd have his beak grinded down every time I brought him to the vet. Basically just filled down with a dremel then coated with a little mineral oil - of course I'd recommend having the vet do this. As Auggie grew up he didnt need this done anymore; now his beak is nice and pretty without any work on it for the past couple of years.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
It is not uncommon for Amazon's beaks to flake ... especially from like 1 - 7 years old, and then it will smooth out later on in life ... if you are really concerned about this, by all means chat with your Avian Vet about it.

OP
A

amazon01

Jan 6, 2008
thanks, i usually feed it a manufactured seed diet, but atleast 3 days of the week i give it fresh veggie's and fruits.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Yes, but with the way you take care of your whole flock those horrible liver values of Pecker's will be back down in no time ...

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Yeah, don't worry about Tweety's beak. Amazon's with horn colored beaks (like a DYH) tend to flake more than the darker colored beaks anyway.

OP
A

amazon01

Jan 6, 2008
Thanks everyone for the advice. Im gonna incease his fresh veggie's to about 4-5 times a week. This forum is great!!!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
ya know, fresh veggies everyday isn't a bad idea either ... but you are going a step in the right direction with 4-5 times a week ...

Most Reactions