Just a question re temperament of IRN's

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Are IRN's the crankiest bird species?
I've had several different types of bird over the years but this is the first time I have had the pleasure (???) of having an IRN. I now have two of them, Missy and Gracie.
Missy I hand reared and Gracie was hand reared by the breeder and I got her once she was weaned. Missy is about 4 1/2 months old now and Gracie is about 4 months old and they are the crankiest pair of birds I have ever had. I mean they even go out of their way to be a bitch... seriously.
Gracie, okay, I can accept her being wary of me, I am still in the process of getting her used to me and my hand but she will literally, move towards me to bite. She just, calmly got on my shoulder from her tree, where I was standing next to, to go down and bite me on the arm. I wasn't egging her on, she just decided to climb on me to bite me. I mean isn't that a tad vindictive? I am doing step up training with her to get used to my hand/finger and she does so fine, a little bit gingerly but she still does it fine. Now take away the treat and... gore is the operative word I am looking for here.
Missy... well she's just a cranky assed bird. She decides when to be nice, she decides when she wants anything to do with me (unless there's food involved), and according to Missy, the world revolves around her. Now don't get me wrong, she can be nice, she was a nice baby, all cuddles and all but those days are clearly over. And they haven't gone thru bluffing yet - and THAT scares me!!!!
So I ask again, Are IRN's the crankiest bird species?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
IRN can be more fearful of hands. It's recommended to keep fingers folded . As a species they generally aren't into petting as much.

But not known as cranky.

Silver sage Aviary has many articles sbd is an outstanding breeder. I linked one but you can ho and read her other ones

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
IRN can be more fearful of hands. It's recommended to keep fingers folded . As a species they generally aren't into petting as much.

But not known as cranky.

Silver sage Aviary has many articles sbd is an outstanding breeder. I linked one but you can ho and read her other ones
Thank you Laurasea, am reading the article now.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Cranky isn’t the right word.

Manic? Yep. Quasi feral in the best of circumstances? Slightly overstatement but sure, let’s go with that.

They’re hyper little things. It’s so easy to reward bad behavior with them because they are readily stimulated.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
IRNs are very notorious for their bluffing stages, where they act all cute and all just to latch onto your finger. this gets more prominent when they start growing up.

my IRN was an a-hole for full 28 years, he was simply... special. As species they are often known to be fearful of hands, and can easily go 'feral' if you don't work with them enough. mine was fearful of hands for maaaany many years, but he would perch on shoulder or forearm. only around at age of 13-14 did he fell in love with me, but that is a different story.

IRNs aren't really snuggly birds, compared to conures and quakers. they aren't fond of having their feathers being messed up.

And oh. So bullheaded. veeery stubborn birds... just be patient with them, they will test you, a lot, but otherwise they can be super funny and friendly birds.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Quasi feral in the best of circumstances?
Quasi feral... omg that is about as perfect a title there is. Missy, the elder of the two, seems to always wake up on the wrong side of the perch.

OP
MissMac

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
my IRN was an a-hole for full 28 years
Ohhhh nooo... don't they live to about 30 years old? Ugh, one of us is going to have to give before then.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Ohhhh nooo... don't they live to about 30 years old? Ugh, one of us is going to have to give before then.
Seeing what a terrible diet and care he had for 20 years, I am astonished he lived up even that long! But yes, the approx is somewhere from 20-30 years.

Most Reactions

Latest posts